post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Sport, 2006 C230 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
tire advice

Maybe this should be on the wheel/tire forum, but all that seems to be there is wheel talk.
I need new tires for my 2006 c230 sport. The conti sport contact (?) wore out @ <15K...totally unacceptable, the fronts are cupped inside and the right rear is bald, although the left rear has a good amount af tread ?? (4 wheel alignment just done now)
I don't drive this car far, although almost daily. Took me 15+ months to put 13K on it. My driving style is conservative, the roads here are flat and smooth, no snow, lots of rain in the summer. I do like to exit the hiway fast, that's the only (handling) fun I get around here. I'd like a good handling, quite tire that will last more than 20K. My wifes 2005 C230 sport has Michelin Primacys and they feel great, with approx 20K on them and they look good.
I'm leaning toward Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. As their web site says, an entry level ultra high performance tire. Any thoughts welcome. I'm in S Fl, BTW
Thanks
Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Do I understand right that your wife's Michelins are on a Mercedes too, perhaps this 2005 C230?

I would not have expected too significant difference between Continentals and those Michelin tyres.

MB OEM tyres (I assume US cars have the same as we do) are high performance tyres for 250 km/h speeds (tyre rating may be even higher). Those are prone to wear heavily. I have driven my W221 tyres in 20 000 km to be pretty worn. MB is using quite strong toe in at the rear too, to improve the car handling at strong braking from high speed. An expert could perhaps set the alignment to save tyres and maintain driving performance for normal speeds.

Snow and wet roads actually reduce tyre wear significantly. Winter tyres at my place wear a lot less than summer tyres even if those are a lot softer. It is because of the lower temperature and friction on the road.

My preference anyway would be either Continental or Michelin even if those would not last as long as US drivers appear to be used to. Just my two cents (I hope you take them as Euro cents with the current exchange ratio
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
If you have not already, tirerack has a section with reviews. Maybe this will help.

Mike
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay View Post
If you have not already, tirerack has a section with reviews. Maybe this will help.
I actually like the ContiSports and am considering them for replacements for my Michelin Green tires on my wagen (MV-4s?). I'm thinking you're being a little harsh on the Contis as 'maybe' your alignment issue is partly to blame? Also agree to do your research on TireRack, whether you buy there or not. There are a lot of factors to consider, treadwear life, traction, warranty, price, etc. but it's nice to read people's reviews. As a result of doing this, I just purchased my second set of Kumhos, a Korean-made tire that is perfect for the budget-minded.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: SL500, CL55, E350, E320
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybombard View Post
Maybe this should be on the wheel/tire forum, but all that seems to be there is wheel talk.
I need new tires for my 2006 c230 sport. The conti sport contact (?) wore out @ <15K...totally unacceptable, the fronts are cupped inside and the right rear is bald, although the left rear has a good amount af tread ?? (4 wheel alignment just done now)
I don't drive this car far, although almost daily. Took me 15+ months to put 13K on it. My driving style is conservative, the roads here are flat and smooth, no snow, lots of rain in the summer. I do like to exit the hiway fast, that's the only (handling) fun I get around here. I'd like a good handling, quite tire that will last more than 20K. My wifes 2005 C230 sport has Michelin Primacys and they feel great, with approx 20K on them and they look good.
I'm leaning toward Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. As their web site says, an entry level ultra high performance tire. Any thoughts welcome. I'm in S Fl, BTW
Thanks
Jer
Most of ppl neglect the alignment and balance. You should do these more often especially when you drive locally.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is the best all-season tire I've ever run on a car. I've got them on the E320 and they are fantastic. I'm not sure what the difference is between the Exalto A/S and PE2. They are particularly good in the rain, which was a deciding factor for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You really should post your question on the Tire Rack forum. Luke is a tire expert, expecially when it comes to Mercedes cars, and will provide good honest advice based on what you say you want. I would also strongly recommend that you visit the Tire Rack site and see what works best on your car and the many different options available. Also read the thousands of owner reviews of whatever tires you are thinking about.

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in