post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: vw jetta wagon tdi, jeep grand cherokee
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Average Buy-Out cost after Leasing?

Has anyone every purchased a vehicle after leasing it?

I am looking at an 2006 SLK280, and the seller wants someone to take over his lease.

The sticker on the car was 47K, and he has paid 14K in lease payments so far, with another 12K due over the next 18 months.

so that would be 26K in payments, any idea what the buy out would be at the end of the lease?

Thank you for any help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The $27K in payments isn't a strong indicator as to the purchase price at lease termination. Before moving forward, you may wish to know the what the existing lease states. Aside from the purcase price, you may be interested in the lease turn in requirements, any lease end fees, the lease transfer fee, and the credit app fee.

In the end, the car is worth market value or less. This is regardless as to what the bank or current lessee says.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
His lease should state exactly what his buyout is. It is rarely a good deal to buy a car out at the end of a lease.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
His lease should state exactly what his buyout is. It is rarely a good deal to buy a car out at the end of a lease.
That's the way I understand MB leases too, but I don't know anything about the other automobile manufacturers. For what this is worth, my preferred dealer sells 60% lease vs. 40% purchase; my saleman told me that.

I have also been told that a lot of MB dealers pass on buying the formerly leased cars because MBUSA wants so much for them (also info from one of the salespeople).

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
That's the way I understand MB leases too, but I don't know anything about the other automobile manufacturers. For what this is worth, my preferred dealer sells 60% lease vs. 40% purchase; my saleman told me that.

I have also been told that a lot of MB dealers pass on buying the formerly leased cars because MBUSA wants so much for them (also info from one of the salespeople).
Yes, you are correct. Most new car dealers pass on buying lease turn-ins because they are vastly overpriced and sometimes damaged or previously damaged during the lease term.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
The $27K in payments isn't a strong indicator as to the purchase price at lease termination. Before moving forward, you may wish to know the what the existing lease states. Aside from the purchase price, you may be interested in the lease turn in requirements, any lease end fees, the lease transfer fee, and the credit app fee.

In the end, the car is worth market value or less. This is regardless as to what the bank or current lessee says.

Actually, the "worth" of the car has little to do with the market value. What you need to look at is that little thing on the front of the lease agreement called the "Residual". Regardless of the market, the residual is guaranteed at the inception of the lease. Most people are not happy with the residual but if they went through Mercedes-Benz Financial, they can extend the lease from 6-12 extra months most times allowing them to pay the principal down with a zero, or next to zero interest rate. A lot of people Extend, drop the residual, and buy because they end up having equity in the car after the extension. Just some food for thought.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_MAN View Post
Actually, the "worth" of the car has little to do with the market value. What you need to look at is that little thing on the front of the lease agreement called the "Residual". Regardless of the market, the residual is guaranteed at the inception of the lease. Most people are not happy with the residual but if they went through Mercedes-Benz Financial, they can extend the lease from 6-12 extra months most times allowing them to pay the principal down with a zero, or next to zero interest rate. A lot of people Extend, drop the residual, and buy because they end up having equity in the car after the extension. Just some food for thought.
I'm a little confused by your statement. How can the "worth" of any item have little to do with market value?

"Worth" is the monetary value of an item. "Market value" is the price that a commodity can be expected to bring when sold in a given market.

If the residual is higher than market value (the same car can be readily purchased for less), why would a buyer knowingly pay the higher price? If the residual is below market value, that would make the monetary value of the car less than market value.

As I stated, "In the end, the car is worth market value or less. This is regardless as to what the bank or current lessee says." Paying higher than market value for items is a rather unusual fiscal policy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

To clarify,
I should have said that the "market average" does not necessarily reflect to what you owe...whether you owe 20, and the market is 15, or you owe 15 and the market is 20...In the end, that car will sell for what the residual is....Now if you dont agree that the residual is a fair amount, than you have the ablity to just return the car, let it go to the auction, and let the dealer buy it and mark it up 20%. But I can tell you from experience that when you enter into negotiations to purchase the car off of a lease, the buyer has little bargining power other than just not buying it. If the dealer always dropped to the market value, they would rarely turn much of a profit.
Bottom line- If your not happy with the residual, look into an extention with a low interest rate that gives you the best possible residual...Or just turn it in.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: E320 4matic
Ive leased and or ballooned 3 Mercedes. The buyout is always higher than market value. Mercedes Credit will have an exact buyout figure which is based on months leased and agreed mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in