What has happened to the used Mercedes market? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What has happened to the used Mercedes market?

I have been trying to sell my 88 560SEL since July and have had no success. Maybe my price has been off a bit but the lack of interest has been unbelievable to me. I have sold all kinds of used cars and this has been by far the toughest and strangest sale. I have it on here, Autotrader.com, Craigslist, and have had it on Ebay as well as the big newspaper in Las Vegas. I have gotten exactly 2 calls and 2 emails in four months. When I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago book on it was 7000 and now I can't get anybody interested at 5200. . . !!! And I've only put 20000 miles on it in that time. Is there something going on that I don't know about? I notice other people are having the same problems with Mercedes that are even cheaper than mine. Does anybody have any answers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Mercedes' new car troubles have hurt the brand including the older cars. Devaluation of the dollar has raised spare parts prices at a time when labor rates keep rising due to a number of factors. Cars are becoming disposible and MB is not immune from the trend. Also over the last couple of decades MB has gone from being a solid, long-lived, repairable machine to being a gadgety, high tech, not so easily repaired, not so well built electronic device. High tech gadgets may be what sells new car but it is at odds with long life and long term resale values. They are selling more cars now but there just aren't enough people to buy the used ones. The 80s and early 90s MBs are still fine cars but economically viable only for DIYers, and there just aren't enough DIYers out there willing to put up with the grief - my theory.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Do you have over 100k miles on the car? How are your ads worded?
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool $$$$$ and no sense!

You have actualy 2 problems.
capital markets and public perception.

Many 'high line' dealers ( used MB only ) are having a bad time as the money markets have gone south, and it is no longer easy for the average Joe to borrow 30 large to buy a car.
Also, the value of all other cars has droped so low that Joe can go buy a piece of crap car for next to nothing rather than a quality expensive car.

Secondly, dean is an example of the errant public perception of MB. Just about everything he said is false, but everbody believes it. so, when mith becomes fact, go with the mith baby.

These cars (MB) will go 500,000 easy so hang on for now, pass it down to a kid or grand kid.

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: Current: 2006 E500 4 Matic Past: 99 ML430, 99 E430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignthomas36 View Post
I have been trying to sell my 88 560SEL since July and have had no success. Maybe my price has been off a bit but the lack of interest has been unbelievable to me. I have sold all kinds of used cars and this has been by far the toughest and strangest sale. I have it on here, Autotrader.com, Craigslist, and have had it on Ebay as well as the big newspaper in Las Vegas. I have gotten exactly 2 calls and 2 emails in four months. When I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago book on it was 7000 and now I can't get anybody interested at 5200. . . !!! And I've only put 20000 miles on it in that time. Is there something going on that I don't know about? I notice other people are having the same problems with Mercedes that are even cheaper than mine. Does anybody have any answers?
your price is too high, I think
for a 88 car, even mercedes
no more than 2k dollars, just my opinion
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBSMITH View Post
Secondly, dean is an example of the errant public perception of MB. Just about everything he said is false, but everbody believes it. so, when mith becomes fact, go with the mith baby.
If we're all wrong on this, please fill us in, point by point. It can be nothing less than your obligation.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
I was trying to sell our 2001 ML55 AMG Designo with 65k and even after having it co-signed with my friend dealer, the best I could get was 65% of BB. I decided to keep her for twice a year boat towing.
Can you say

DIVE ?

than my dealer friend say that applies to all brands.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just read your ad.
  • 20 years old
  • 120,000 miles
  • Just devoured a transmission, AC, and alternator
  • It drinks oil
And that's not the worst of it.

You ended the ad with "Love the car but ready to move on."

Is it just me or does "ready to move on" sound like code for "the repair bills are KILLING ME"? That ad reads like the car is ready to fall apart on the buyer's drive home. Honestly, you're scaring buyers. I'd take it out of the papers, wait 45 days, and then start again. When I started again, I'd use someone else's wording. Wording from the ad of a car that moved quickly.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Say it runs on biodiesel and ask $12,000

It will be gone tomorrow.

Well it was worth a try anyway.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
All good stuff. . .

Thanks for the opinions guys. Some things to clear up. . .the really funny thing is that the trans and alternator went bad about a month AFTER I decided to sell it. Great luck there, huh? Honestly, the car was pretty much error free until that stuff and the truth is that I personally was ready to move on as I own cars for about 2 years then move on no matter what problems they give me. As for the car being worth $2000. . .I think that's crazy although I am sure I would get about 1000 responses if I put it somewhere for that price. I guess what is absolutely crazy to me is when I bought the car in April of 2005 this particular car was in Las Vegas at least a very good deal at $7000 with 99k miles. . .like I said comparing it to other cars that were here. How does a car that is 20 years old drop at least $2000 in value in 2 years? I see suggested retails on Edmund's and NADA from 4600 to 6300, so my price is not out of line. I think I agree with the idea that I may just cool off for a while and then come back to advertising it a couple of months from now. The final point is that I don't mind not selling the car. . .it is the lack of responses from everywhere that I have put it that puzzles me. . .Craigslist, AutoTrader, Ebay, Las Vegas Review Journal, and on here. . .2 calls and 3 emails in four months. . .and I don't think my wording is to blame because I haven't detailed as much in those other publications as I have here. But. . .hey. . .other people are having problems too because I've been watching other people's sales. I shouldn't discount gas prices either I suppose. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in