21ST CENTURY MERCEDES BENZ: A DOWNWARD TREJECTORY - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^My car definitely falls into the "lemon" category. All of the maintenence has been done properly and on schedule, and yet it has still had many random part failures (none of them on parts that require maintenance).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2007 E350, Black on Black,
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am disappointed in the "quality" of my 02 E320, I want to love the car, but combined with the comments my wife makes about the "quirks" (as some of you call them) the amount of time it spends at the service center is ridiculous.

Here are things that have gone south on this car:

Rattling headliner (I fixed with some terry cloth towel scraps)

Replaced the clips holding the roof rail trim to the roof (It kept popping loose)

Replaced the trim at the base of the windscreen (the rubber was cracked)

Need to replace the vanity mirror cover on the passenger side, the "pivot" pins broke off (already replaced the driver side)

Had to remove the lighter because when it is nice and red, it pops out so hard it it flies out of the ashtray onto the seat and center console (don't smoke but that's dangerous)

Had to replace the light bulb for the clock in the dash, (not covered under warranty, cost a pretty penny, not for the bulb, but for the labor)

Had the outdoor temp readout fixed, it was reading about 20 degrees hot.

The stock radio has been replaced, volume control issues (warranty)

The trunk mounted CD changer has been replaced, skipping issues (warranty)

Spark Plug Wires replaced, misfiring issues (warranty)

Voltage regulator replaced (warranty)

Engine Mounts replaced at about 60k miles, collapsed (warranty) had the same problem with our old C230

Left rear window switch decided to work when it wanted to, replaced (warranty)

Replaced Ball Joints

Replaced Tie rod Ends

2 Four wheel alignments within 6 months of each other

2 Tire rotations within 6 months of each other

2 Tire balance services within 6 months of each other

These last six items an attempt to resolve a vibration issue which still has not been fixed, brand new Michellin's are rapidly feathering (due back in the shop on Tuesday)

Rain sensing wiper that comes on whenever it feels like it.

There are a bunch of "die hards" on this site, but come on, this car listed for $48.5 thousand dollars, I know of 10 year old Honda Accord sedans that have had none of the issues listed save for new tires/rotations/alignments.

I understand that upkeep on these cars is expensive but there is no excuse for these types of failures (and frequency) on such an expensive car. I love our E320, but with the amount of failures it incurs makes it really hard to do. I will stand by my black beauty, but I think this will be our last Mercedes Benz.

This car is pampered, religiously maintained yet it still takes a crap on us.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 04:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2001 CLK55 AMG
Send a message via AIM to silverstreak
My 99 CLK430 is now 8 years old has 133,000 miles on it. Have not had a single problem with it. I have had people comment on how the outside paint looks better than some of the new cars out there. They are surprised when I tell them it is a 99'. As for the engine still runs like new with a butt ton of power. Can still dust most cars on the freeway. I see as this: if you take care of your car it will take care of you.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
i think the 1998 till 2004 cars were clearly lemons
but after that its back to high quality and none of that cheap BMW plastic
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: SLK350
I've recently collected an SLK350 from the Bremen factory. It is, so far, perfect.

This is a summary of an hours conversation with the host, a very knowlegable Irish/German manufacturing manager (for the new C class, and had E and S class experience)

They did say at the factory that attempts at cost cutting had allowed quality to suffer unacceptably. This meant unhappy customers who bought other makes, sued them, and shouted about it in the press and online. Any yes, they listen.

He considered the E class followed by the ML, both of around 2000/2001 as the cars that caused most embarassment to the workforce.

They didn't listen hard enough, or react quickly enough, and they regret that.

They have now reacted, belatedly, by firing the senior managers that allowed this to happen, and put a lot more money and people into trying to earn their reputation back.

Time will tell, but it looks to me like they mean it.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2007 mercedes E 220 cdi
I collected my very first MB exactly 4 months ago. Since then I've covered around 12000km on it, and everything went perfect. The build quality is better than I expected it to be, the ride is quiet and very comfortable. I heard the stories about inferior quality and poor reliability during the last couple of years, and they may or may not be true, but so far, my E-class has performed way better than expected.

My previous car was a Saab, so were the 3 cars before that. And it was a very good car, fast, magnificent cornering, a decent automobile ... as long as it was on the road and not at the dealer's workshop. Saab gave me 2 years warranty, well, I needed every single day of it. After 4 years, it ran perfect, mind you, they did replace just about every single part of the car.

After 4 Saabs I decided to try something else, and I figured that a MB wouldn't be that much worse than my Saab, so I took a chance and ordered one. I had to wait for about 3 months for delivery, and when time progressed, I started doubting my decision. My main concern was if a car that costs almost twice as much as my Saab (roughly 30000 euro for my saab and almost 55000 euro for the MB) would really be twice as good. Well, after 4 months in the MB, take my word for it, it really is twice as good, and even better.

So whatever those surveys say, Mercedes really is the brand to beat. And although I, on occassion, still think fondly of my Saab's, the chances that I would every buy a Saab again are pretty slim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in