post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Which model is it? I'm wondering about the wrong filter, how were they able to put a wrong filter in a way that it leaks oil? I have not heard of an engine wash at B-service, of course if it leaked oil, that would have to be cleaned but this is a different thing.

I don't know about Canada but I would assume the full B-service would have to be performed at a dealer (a certified shop or similar) but it would not have to be this one that does not seem to know how cars are serviced. Not sure if the majority of shops are bad, I don't think so, it is just that there is more talks about the bad ones but you should be able to find a decent one to let service the car. Or are you very far away from another shop?
Its an '03, c230k. So fairly bottom of the line, explaining why I cant afford to pay a $1000 a year in servicing.

Sorry, they didnt put in the wrong filter, it was simply a faulty filter. So it wasnt technically the technicians fault, but the filter is still their responsibility, and they should at the very least try to make it convenient for me to not have my engine running on half the oil, asap. The engine wash was before any of that happened, so they lifted the hood, and gave it like an $50 spray. This was a dealership in another city, and there are two in my city, one which has treated me like crap, and the other which i havnt been to, but has a website dedicated to their abismal service record. This is just trying to explain why I would rather gouge my eyes out then take it to a dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
In the United States, your service representatives claim would be half right: In order for your car to maintain its warrantee, all services must be perfomed in a timely manner. These services DO NOT have to be performed by a dealership. That said, typically, a dealer is the best place to have services performed.

Let me confirm that I understand what you're saying -
  • You have a Mercedes-Benz that's under warrantee. The dealer said this car, that's under warrantee, has a faulty "computer" that indicates low oil conditions, when none exists. Why wasn't the "computer" changed under warrantee?
  • You have an $800 service that includes "washing the engine". I'm unfamiliar with the Canadian service sechedule, but the "washing the engine" service isn't included in the factory service manual that I received. The differences in services between countries may be why your B service costs $800, while my dealer charges $325 for my car.
  • What year and model Mercedes-Benz is this?
As an aside, according to the Yahoo currency converter, $800 Canadian is $825 US - I have GOT to pay more attention to foreign currency investments. The Canadian dollar has gone from 95 cents to $1.02 in the past month.
*They said they had suspected a computer malfunction before, so i could bring it in in about a week to get that fixed (by that time my engine would have seized).
*Im pretty sure they took the liberty of doing that themselves because I didnt ask for a full list of what they were gonna do ahead of time. I assumed they would be honest, and i was stupid for doing so.
* 2003, c230k. Ya, $CND kicks ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
I would raise a little hell - MB canada does not seem to give a damn about CSI (customer service)

If you go out of the dealer for scheduled service - your primary risk is that the time you go back for something else - they will drop the no warranty bomb on you -

Then you get real pissed :-)
Im a little worried about that, but my dads a lawyer, so I would be able to fight it. The question im wondering about is, are there private technicians that are Mercedes certified? Like high-end shops that MBCanada has said is up to its standards, etc. I think they have this for bodywork.

Quote:
You have no idea how it pisses us off :-)

when the canuck buck was 40 percent less than the US - there was an excuse to pay 40 percent more for the same car -

That excuse is gone but we **still** pay up to 40 percent more

In fact some lawyer in toronto is starting a class action law suit

His suit is **not** that our prices are 35 percent or more higher than the US (hey a company can make whatever price it wants) - but the manufacturers are strong-arming US dealers to not sell to canadians -

I guess the states closest to the canadian border were making a killing on canadian sales
I wouldnt be too upset about it. Something drastic will have to be done by Canadian dealerships, because the sales are plummeting. Plus the legal action of discriminatory sales in not selling to canadians in the states. For now just buy used from the states and you'll save plenty of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
In my opinion - it would not legally void the warranty (other wise Jiffy Lube etc would be out of business)

Reality though -

This was not MB - but on a car I had a few years ago - I did get a plain oil change - not at the dealer

The next time I was at the dealer -they "found" the oil dipstick broken - and the metal piece had fallen into the oil pan -

"not their problem" - because they did not do the oil change ......
Thanks for the honest response! I am definitely gun shy when anyone else works on my car! No one is as fussy as I am!

I've seen such poor workmanship from all levels including especially the Audi dealership. Brake fluid poured on the engine compartment paint with no cleanup or mention. Close the hood , here's your car and have a nice day!!! I know I have to have some things done at the dealer. I always re-check their work and I always find sloppy workmanship!

My opinion is: It's not there own car and therefore it's not that important!
This local shop is not a Jiffy Lube like shop. I know them personally and they know me. They are very respected and I can be right there as they work on the B.
It's all about the piece of mind, watching and asking as the work is being done. Thanks again, Derek

Last edited by DEVOURS; 10-17-2007 at 12:04 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Quote:
This was not MB - but on a car I had a few years ago - I did get a plain oil change - not at the dealer

The next time I was at the dealer -they "found" the oil dipstick broken - and the metal piece had fallen into the oil pan -

"not their problem" - because they did not do the oil change ......
Sounds like sabatage to me. Oil dipsticks don't just break in half for no reason.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanyel View Post
Sounds like sabatage to me. Oil dipsticks don't just break in half for no reason.
Could be - but net result - I had to pay to drop the pan to remove it (plus the new stick of course)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 c300 luxury P2, Multimedia.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the USA, NO CAR MFG. can void your warranty if you have maintaince performed somewhere other than the dealership..that's the LAW..
However, if an independent shop messes something up, and you go to the dealer, claiming its "under warranty", and want them to fix it for free, you will probably have problems..
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Question Super Blue DOT 4 brake fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours View Post
I'm also close to my service B as 2 years approaches. I would like to have the brake fluid changed using 'Super Blue' dot 4 fluid. Our local 'Auto Pro Service Center' is very capable and respected in our area. This would also save me a huge drive to the dealership. But, am I voiding the warranty, even if everything is properly documented?
It's your car so feel free to have anyone of your choosing change your brake fluid and use anything you prefer however, you would be wise to use only a MB-approved fluid; I don't know if what you are proposing is. Also, just make sure you keep the documentation in a safe place (the receipt should be adequate) for future reference.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Thanks again for your valued input. I'll do as you suggest and use the MB brake fluid this time around.
Cheers, Derek
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Derek:Its an '03, c230k. So fairly bottom of the line, explaining why I cant afford to pay a $1000 a year in servicing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ Don't get a Merc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in