LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To help you understand how it works, here is a short description:
The rain sensor sends out multiple narrow beams of IR energy straight out from several IR LED's. If there is rain or dirt on the glass it will cause the IR beam to be reflected back into the photodetector sensors next to the LED's. The more sensors that see the IR beams reflecting back, the faster the wipers will cycle. This signal is modified to detect any perceived motion of the reflected beams by checking to see if the reflected beam moves from one photoreceptor to the next. In other words if the car has been parked where a simple rain shower has passed and there is no fresh rain falling on the glass, if you switched the ignition off but left the accessories powered up, the sensor may ignore the rain drops already in place and not cycle the wipers until you switch ittermittant operation off and then back on again to trigger the first sweep of the wipers. This is done to prevent dirty or chipped windshields from triggering constant operation when they not getting rained on. If there are multiple almost microscopic rock chips in the glass the sensors will tend to loose sensitivity because it looks for a pattern of moving reflections rather than fixed reflections and the small chips will cause the additional fixed reflections to be ignored over a larger area of the sensor requiring more rain before the new rain signals overcome the input being ignored.
Modern German vehicles have more computing power than the Apollo systems we sent to the moon 35 years ago. I don't have a MB diagram like this but here is a VW that is about complex as the previous generation S Klass in that it hosts multiple serial CAN BUS data paths and has fiber optic data channels as well. If you ever wondered why MB needs STAR or VAG products need VAG-COM the picture should explain better than words. The individual switches within the drivers reach no longer switch power directly to the vehicle componets. Almost all the switches you can touch are now input devices to a digital encoder that sends an encoded signal across one of the vehicles datapaths to a controller that does the actual switching. This is why I will only keep my car as long as I can get an extended warranty to cover the electronic controls. If you ever have one of those puppies fail without some kind of warranty coverage the cost of tracing the problem and the replacement cost of the modules that cannot be repaired will render the car into an expensive boat anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phaeton_elec.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	145780  

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info, guys!

I can see an array of 8 circles (some partial) although it does look like there is a gel sheet inplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
I at least misunderstood your description on the first post, thought you mean it is too slow when you said it first goes to intermittent and then goes to slow". I guess you mean it does wipe continuously at slow speed instead of doing that intermittently.

Like ctbenztech mentioned, clean the window properly, preferably all the window and specifically the sensor area. Also change to new OEM or equal (perhaps better) quality wiper blades. The system is very sensitive to dirty or worn wiper blades too.

I would consider sensor adaptation the last option, assuming it isn't faulty and would not need to be replaced.
It starts on intermittent at reasonable speed but then switches to low speed (as if I had turned the knob to the second position). Sometimes if I wait a while, it will go back to intermittent. The window is reasonably clean and the wipers are OEM ones in good shape, although somewhat old.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
Thanks for the info, guys!

I can see an array of 8 circles (some partial) although it does look like there is a gel sheet inplace.

It starts on intermittent at reasonable speed but then switches to low speed (as if I had turned the knob to the second position). Sometimes if I wait a while, it will go back to intermittent. The window is reasonably clean and the wipers are OEM ones in good shape, although somewhat old.
I had your same issue. I replaced my old wiper blades... issue solved.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question I may have to take this one 'in'

I don't have this kind of sensor. There is an Oval shaped device with 3 glass balls on eith side, attached to the glass. This part I don't know how to get off to service/replace it. i did replace the rectangle part that come off this device. No luck. Also mine has a big I shaped piece of tin with 6 led's, 3 send and 3 recieve.
I hope you all can help, as this car has not been to the dealer service yet(thanks to this forum), and I want to keep it that way.

B??

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
...wipers are OEM ones in good shape, although somewhat old.
The newer cars have the Bosch ICON (or equivalent) type wipers. These wipers works much better than the older metal frame type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in