Is it possible that a bad dealer put bad/old parts on cars under warrenty? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjabi View Post
Some Dealerships are actually owned by the respective car manufacturer and some are under 'franchise'. Those owned are generally very 'tight' on unnecessary replacement under Warranty but the 'Franchise' ones are more flexible and will tend to replace 'over and above' under the Warranty period. This is quite prevailent in the UK but may differ in the US.
Even those shops that are not owned by MB, are these days strict on replacing parts (If a part was replaced while it turns out to be good, MB usually refrains paying for it, the shop would have to pay for it). But that would not mean they would put a used or bad part to a car under warranty.

If an official dealer service replaces a part for a car under warranty, they would use new parts. Otherwise it would be some service guy acting against their rules, like said, anything can happen but it should be uttermost unlikely and a misbehaving service person would get caught soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: w123 300tdt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuorongdeng View Post
Is there a case that the dealer even put some bad/old parts on cars under warrenty to let you come back more often so that they can charge more? (unfortunatly, it has been too many things wrong for my new car Thanks.

How old could those parts be?
Serious now, this is a New car not a used one.

Now if I go for parts for my 1984 300tdt I'm sure
that not all parts are "brand new" but they work
perfectly fine.

You probably have a lemon and you should take
the proper steps to deal with those problems.

Just my 0.02.

Louis.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjabi View Post
Some Dealerships are actually owned by the respective car manufacturer and some are under 'franchise'. Those owned are generally very 'tight' on unnecessary replacement under Warranty but the 'Franchise' ones are more flexible and will tend to replace 'over and above' under the Warranty period. This is quite prevailent in the UK but may differ in the US.
In the United States, I believe the only dealership owned by Mercedes-Benz USA is Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan (New York).

At Porsche, parts exchanged under warrantee are sent back to PCNA. Expensive parts are regularly tested. If an expensive part is warranteed, and that part is found to be functioning as designed, the dealer gets to eat the cost. I believe MBUSA has the same policy. I've been told that if an engine is warranteed, it will be checked. If the engine is good, the dealer eats it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C230 sport
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
In the United States, I believe the only dealership owned by Mercedes-Benz USA is Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan (New York).
I live in NYC, so I think I better have my car serviced in MB Manhattan then;.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
At Porsche, parts exchanged under warrantee are sent back to PCNA. Expensive parts are regularly tested. If an expensive part is warranteed, and that part is found to be functioning as designed, the dealer gets to eat the cost. I believe MBUSA has the same policy. I've been told that if an engine is warranteed, it will be checked. If the engine is good, the dealer eats it.
This is exactly my point! As I stated in my ealier post, they (if they did) usually did something to the parts that are inexpensive and winout a S/N to track whether it is from a particular car, like bearings, ideler pulleys, etc. They akso knows how to fix it right the way.

Anyway, I think I just need to use my sense to select which dealer I should work with. I visted 4 dealers so far, and msot of them are nice, but there is one that I have concern with, no (and impossible to) prove though.

Thanks for all the reply.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: MB ML350 '07
I find it interesting that people are so quick to question your mental state or label you as paranoid when you question someone else's interigty. Is it easier to believe zhuorongdeng is crazy than it is to believe the dealer is unscrupulous? I happen to agree with Z. If you suspect something untoward is going on, it probably is. Unfortunately there isn't always a way to prove what you suspect. I think nanny cams have proved that too often people behave badly when they think they are not being watched.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C230 sport
(Thread Starter)
Believe or not, I just found that the hummidity dew point sensor (the one behide cabin air filter) is missing in my 2006 C230. I confirmed it with the parts department of the current dealer, and has to order it in my own cost. I reported it to MB USA, hope they can improve on this.

I don't know how and when it is missing. The SA in the dealer said the star dignosis does not report any problem (with a sensor missing, should I believe them?). As I said earlier, I have some many visits to differnet dealers (only dealers working on the car out of my eyesight), I cannot say who is the bad guy or if it is done with intension or not. Anyway, just the fact.

Last edited by zhuorongdeng; 11-09-2010 at 09:33 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
The conspiracy theory goes pretty far, but I read hundreds of times, when mechanic working on one part under the hood breaks electrical connector on other, that mask it with electrical tape, what brings problem some time later. Leaving bolts without proper torquing is just too common. Than on several used cars I bought the oil filters were extra crispy. I wonder how many oil changes the same filter survived?
That said, our original 12 years old ML320 is the most perfect car I have heard about.
12 years took only about $300 in needed parts on the model that was called a lemon by lot of owners relying on dealers.
Shall I mention that besides couple warranty glitches and recalls no mechanic put his finger on the car?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 11-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuorongdeng View Post
Is there a case that the dealer even put some bad/old parts on cars under warrenty to let you come back more often so that they can charge more? I have a doubt about my services from one dealer ...
Yes, I know that dealer.

Saw him on the "grassy knoll" in Dallas in 1963.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"Is it possible that a bad dealer put bad/old parts on cars under warrenty?"
To sleep well while my beloved car is at the dealer for service, I would buy a silver ink permanent marker, mark my name, "mbvis", on every replaceable part in the engine compartment except the engine mounts before I hand my beloved car to them.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvis View Post
"Is it possible that a bad dealer put bad/old parts on cars under warrenty?"
To sleep well while my beloved car is at the dealer for service, I would buy a silver ink permanent marker, mark my name, "mbvis", on every replaceable part in the engine compartment except the engine mounts before I hand my beloved car to them.
That is exactly what couple investigative reporters did with computers given for repairs.
Almost, since they used markers visible only under ultraviolet light.
So after taking the computer to the repair shop and paying for new hard drive, they took it home and under the uv light did found their marker on HD. You can find the clip on youtube. Another one is about transmission flush.
I bet the trick would work on several computer chips on Mercedes as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in