BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: C 230 Kompressor Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post C 230 Kompressor rpm problem?!

First Hello everybody,
This is my firt post in this forum,like a MB fan I think this is good place to share info with other people that like the 3 ponted star brand.

I'm a member of MBCA like probably most of you.

So,that's for me and now we can start with the cars

My current Mercedes is 1999 C230 Kompressor Sport. In the last 2 weeks I have a problem with the car-the engine can't go over 4000rpm. The C class have a safety feature when the car is not on gear you can't rev over 4000rpm,but my problem is that even on the highway when I do kickdown the car just cut on 4K,it seems like don't have enough fuel(fuel pressure). Few monts ago I put K&N filter and first I assume that is from this,I put back the factory filter-100 miles great and today the same trouble no more than 4000 rpm's. Tomorrow I w'll replace the fuel filter,and if this don't work I have feeling that is fuelpump...that's from me

If somebody use to have problems like this or can come with any ideas where is the problem thank you in advance

Last edited by Mero; 10-05-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If the power is "cut" at 4000 RPM, then it sounds like an ignition mishap.

If the car doesn't appear to produce enough power to rev above 4000 RPM in any gear, then it sounds like the ceramic core in the catalytic converter may have broken and a chunk of it is blocking the exhaust tract.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick respond MarcusF

Today I replaced the fuelfilter,and now the car is worst-can't go over 3000rpm on the highway,but when is not on gear is making 4000. Tomorrow I will check the fuel pressure before the injectors too see if is fuel pump.

Do you think that the MAF can be the problem after using K&N ,otherwise the car is with new spark plugs and the ignition system is been ispected...also on what kein of mileage you think the ceramic core in the catalytic converter can be damaged? My car have 108K miles.

Last edited by Mero; 10-06-2007 at 08:51 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 11:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mero View Post
Thanks for the quick respond MarcusF

Today I replaced the fuelfilter,and now the car is worst-can't go over 3000rpm on the highway,but when is not on gear is making 4000. Tomorrow I will check the fuel pressure before the injectors too see if is fuel pump.

Do you think that the MAF can be the problem after using K&N ,otherwise the car is with new spark plugs and the ignition system is been ispected...also on what kein of mileage you think the ceramic core in the catalytic converter can be damaged? My car have 108K miles.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the MAF. I think its the cat. In a perfect world, the cat's internal temperature is about 1200 degrees, the air fuel ratios are correct, and the cat will work forever. There are no moving parts, and the catalyst material doesn't get burned up in the chemical reaction (well, it doesn't burn up very quickly). However, that’s a *perfect* situation. In reality, we have cases like mine where the core came loose at less than 100,000 miles.

With a cat, it's not always the number of miles on the car.
  • If the cat overheats, the core can break up internally. The cat can overheat if the air/fuel ratios are out of whack. Some causes for bad AF ratios are dirty injectors with lousy spray patterns, and an out of spec O2 sensor.
  • The cat can also overheat due to exhaust contamination. A blown head gasket (antifreeze in the exhaust) or worn valve guides (oil in the exhaust) can contaminate the exhaust.
  • The cat can break up with everyday heat cycles. The outer shell and the core are different materials, which expand and contract at different rates. Eventually the welds that hold the core in place break. Once the core is loose, it bangs against the shell, and can eventually crack.
  • Physical damage (bottoming out) can also cause the core to break up.
The good news is - aftermarket cats can be pretty inexpensive. The trick is to find an exhaust shop that doesn't try to take you to the cleaners just because it's a Mercedes-Benz.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: ml430
hes right it could be the cat. but i think you would find power loose when ever you drive it not just on the highway. it sound like an imput sensor is faulty giving the me a bad reading. rpm's dont just cut out at a certin rpm range them work fine at anything below with a cloged cat.just my 2 cents. to me it sould like the accelerator sensor. im pretty sure that car has one

mike

"MERCEDES BENZ LIKE NO OTHER"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
First Hello everybody,
This is my firt post in this forum,like a MB fan I think this is good place to share info with other people that like the 3 ponted star brand.

I'm a member of MBCA like probably most of you.

So,that's for me and now we can start with the cars

My current Mercedes is 1999 C230 Kompressor Sport. In the last 2 weeks I have a problem with the car-the engine can't go over 4000rpm. The C class have a safety feature when the car is not on gear you can't rev over 4000rpm,but my problem is that even on the highway when I do kickdown the car just cut on 4K,it seems like don't have enough fuel(fuel pressure). Few monts ago I put K&N filter and first I assume that is from this,I put back the factory filter-100 miles great and today the same trouble no more than 4000 rpm's. Tomorrow I w'll replace the fuel filter,and if this don't work I have feeling that is fuelpump...that's from me

If somebody use to have problems like this or can come with any ideas where is the problem thank you in advance
Go for the fuel pump pressure test first. The symptoms you describe can be caused by many things but the fuel line pressure test is a good staring point
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I just rescan the car today,and this time I have stuff on the scaner:

P0170
Fuel Trim Malfunction
(Bank 1)

In the forum I found:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...170-p0173.html

I get the MAF cleaner already and going to clean it now,I will keep you up to date,if somebody have another ideas for this code thanks for the help!

Last edited by Mero; 10-08-2007 at 04:57 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: E320
I feel like you just don't want to listen to MarcusF. I had the same problem once on my old Saturn.

Quote:
I just rescan the car today,and this time I have stuff on the scaner:

P0170
Fuel Trim Malfunction
(Bank 1)

In the forum I found:

I get the MAF cleaner already and going to clean it now,I will keep you up to date,if somebody have another ideas for this code thanks for the help!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
DONE!!!

Mercedes is not Saturn buddy But is one thing that you are right in-I use to have a Dodge R/T,I put CAI(Cold Air Intake)and the car was realy faster. But,2 months after this on the highway the car just loose power on 3000rpm and stop?? Check it-was fuel pump fuse,I change 10 fuses and inspect all electric system-nothing?? So many people did diagnostics-nothing?? Finaly the car was without the custom filter because working on it,I drove it and BUM-this was the problem! So sometimes we can use old experience yes,but not 1:1 from USA cars to Benz.

Finally-I found the problem,my Benz is done and running better than ever!!!

If somebody have Mero with supercharged 4 cylinder engine like mine,I suggest them to clean their MAF Sensor with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner(on their own risk I'm not taking responsibility),and you will feel that your car gain a lot of power,now the car is VERY fast for 4 cylinder!

Thanks to the great Threat:
I find and fix the problem-by taking off and cleaning the MAF,and because I know that sometimes K&N cost MAF problems,my car was with K&N before and then the problem came,that's why I assume that is may be there and the first think that I did was to take the K&N off the car.

Thanks to MarcusF and the other people with helpful posts in my threat,I didn't pass his suggestion-just when some car have a problem,we should start from the small thing and going to the big ones ,taht's my way. And yes after checking the fuel pump pressure I did check the exhaust backpressure and the temperature of the cat-the numbers was normal.

This is great forum with very experienced and good MB fans!
I'm glad that I did join it!
Regards

Last edited by Mero; 08-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Congratulations on a job well done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in