extended warranty help??? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
extended warranty help???

I have a 2003 C240 4 matic wagon which was purchased new as a late leftover in June 2004. I purchased the MB 7 year/100K extended warranty about a year later. The car has about 38K miles and is still under the 4 yr/50K original warranty but it has been a nightmare and I want to trade it in. As the extended warranty has not come into effect yet will I be able to recover my purchase price or at least a good portion of it from the dealer?? Can anybody be of assistance here?? Thank you.
wolfmancometh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know this for sure, and it might not even apply to your year .. but if you dont make a claim against your ext warranty, you can get 2/3rds of the money back.

Also, you could always privately sell the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmancometh View Post
I have a 2003 C240 4 matic wagon which was purchased new as a late leftover in June 2004. I purchased the MB 7 year/100K extended warranty about a year later. The car has about 38K miles and is still under the 4 yr/50K original warranty but it has been a nightmare and I want to trade it in. As the extended warranty has not come into effect yet will I be able to recover my purchase price or at least a good portion of it from the dealer?? Can anybody be of assistance here?? Thank you.
vik888 is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
warranty refund

Thanks-was hoping for more, of course, but I could probably live with 2/3 back at this point. The extended warr. would not even come into effect for another 9 months or 11,500 miles. I just want out of this nightmare-we have 26 R.O.s for assorted warranty repairs ranging from bad window switches all the way up to major tranny work. V.G.
wolfmancometh is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I understand your frustration even the car is under warranty. The wasted time to go back and forth to the dealer and the lost time for the car to be driven.

Post some pictures and information and someone might be interested to buy (I might be interested if it is the right color combo and right distance from me). The extended warranty is a plus.
loubapache is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
extended warranty help

Don't want to go to the trouble of selling privately-I want out NOW. Just want to know how I can get my money back for the unused extended warranty.
wolfmancometh is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
You could have it out now if the right buyer buys it right away and the buyer will probably pay part of the unused extended warranty.
loubapache is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmancometh View Post
Don't want to go to the trouble of selling privately-I want out NOW. Just want to know how I can get my money back for the unused extended warranty.
Why not just read your policy?

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
lkchris is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ext warranty

I purchased the extended warranty with every intention of keeping the car well beyond the time/mileage limits of the original warranty. As this car has been such a nightmare I want out-NOW. TWENTY-SIX repair orders in a little over 3 years and 38K miles. I work for a GM dealer and their policy is to refund the price less an administrative fee provided no portion of the extended warranty has been used. Mercedes policy is a RIP-OFF-plain and simple. What happens if the car is stolen, totaled in an accident, etc- you are still out well over 2 grand for the cost of the warranty. This is just bad policy. I will never even consider the purchase of another Mercedes. Also will be contacting the NJ state attorney general's office regarding this blatant consumer rip-off. Hell, they won't even give you your money back if you trade towards another Benz!! What kind of customer service is that and why would anybody buy from a company that treats its customers in this manner?? Have appointments with both BMW and Audi dealers this afternoon and evening-hopefully I'll be out of this piece of crap.

Last edited by wolfmancometh; 10-01-2007 at 09:45 PM.
wolfmancometh is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
MarcusF's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Let me see if I understand what you’re saying. A little more than three years ago, you bought a car. Two and a half years ago, you bought an insurance policy on this same car. The policy, which you paid for two and a half years ago, doesn’t take effect for another 9 months. Now you want your money back.

The direct answer to your question is exactly what Kent said, read the policy. You signed a legal agreement. If the agreement says you can get a refund, you’ll get one. If not, you probably won't. To break a contract, you need either an escape clause, or you'll have to prove the other party did something wrong. What has the insurer done that was "wrong"? The fact that GM has a different policy means nothing. Using your example regarding accidents, if I buy a $4K TV from Best Buy, and then spend anther $500 for an extended warrantee, and my house burns down that night, Best Buy is not refunding anything. Best Buy doesn't care what GM does. Why should they?

Let me ask you, what was the incentive to pay for an insurance policy that wouldn’t kick in until three years after you pay for it? The car was already covered, right? It was covered for another three years. Was there some sort of discount for the float?

Lastly, I don't see how the NJ Attorney General’s office can help you. No one has broken any laws. In NJ, insurance polices are regulated by the NJ State Department of Banking and Insurance. They may offer some assistance. Post back and let us know if you get anywhere. You're going to claim the insurance company did nothing for you. They're going to claim you knew exactly what you were signing AND they gave you peace of mind for the past 30 months. It will be interesting to see what the Dept of Ins says.

Best wishes.
MarcusF is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Mercedes Benz of Florida's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Location: New York City, NY, USA
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
Let me see if I understand what you’re saying. A little more than three years ago, you bought a car. Two and a half years ago, you bought an insurance policy on this same car. The policy, which you paid for two and a half years ago, doesn’t take effect for another 9 months. Now you want your money back.

The direct answer to your question is exactly what Kent said, read the policy. You signed a legal agreement. If the agreement says you can get a refund, you’ll get one. If not, you probably won't. To break a contract, you need either an escape clause, or you'll have to prove the other party did something wrong. What has the insurer done that was "wrong"? The fact that GM has a different policy means nothing. Using your example regarding accidents, if I buy a $4K TV from Best Buy, and then spend anther $500 for an extended warrantee, and my house burns down that night, Best Buy is not refunding anything. Best Buy doesn't care what GM does. Why should they?

Let me ask you, what was the incentive to pay for an insurance policy that wouldn’t kick in until three years after you pay for it? The car was already covered, right? It was covered for another three years. Was there some sort of discount for the float?

Lastly, I don't see how the NJ Attorney General’s office can help you. No one has broken any laws. In NJ, insurance polices are regulated by the NJ State Department of Banking and Insurance. They may offer some assistance. Post back and let us know if you get anywhere. You're going to claim the insurance company did nothing for you. They're going to claim you knew exactly what you were signing AND they gave you peace of mind for the past 30 months. It will be interesting to see what the Dept of Ins says.

Best wishes.

EXACTOMUNDO what you said! Well said.

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
Mercedes Benz of Florida is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Extended Warranty: How is AAA extended warranty? az2md W210 E-Class 6 10-11-2009 05:59 PM
    Extended Warranty/ 3rd party warranty conlin664 R170 SLK-Class 13 01-26-2003 09:24 AM
    Any experience with Warranty Gold extended warranty? Howard H R170 SLK-Class 0 08-24-2002 06:40 PM
    Warranty Gold extended warranty Tyler W163 M-Class 2 02-19-2002 09:38 AM
    Called MB Dealership RE: Extended Warranty. Told me I can't buy MB Warranty... John C R170 SLK-Class 6 10-18-2001 11:09 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome