post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks

Cascade;
Thank you for the rational advice- yes, I am at the end of my rope in regard to this car but have been doing the research all along as the problems have been ongoing for 2 years. It was just a matter of time before it got to this point. According to the NADA site the current trade value is exactly $18K-if they are close and treat me fairly otherwise I'm in. Sure, I could probably realize $20K or more privately but then I have to deal with the inevitable scammers as well as paying the extra $1,000.00 in sales tax that would arise due to a straight cash purchase. If I had any clue that this would be the george W Bush of automobiles after only 2 years I would have dumped it then and never gone for the warranty. Would you believe that the last visit to the dealer was caused by my ongoing tranny problems-it took them 2 years to finally figure out that the wrong valve body was installed at the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Getting Lemons out of your life....

Well good luck in the search.

27 times back to the dealer is just an unbelievable record for ANY car, much less one that touts itself as a supposed "Luxury" car. That absolutely beggars the imagination. That thing was The MOTHER of all lemons. It must be hard sometimes to suppress the impulse to just go postal and hose the Mecedes dealer down with an AK 47.

This confirms my long held suspicion and opinion that ANY Mercedes built from 1998-2006 is likely to be a very poor candidate for a GOOD car, by any reasonable measure.

Your car must have been cursed by every diety from Allah to Zeus.

Perhaps it is time to put the whole thing behind you. The Lemon Law process is one way to do it, but it is, as you know, if you have gone through it, a difficult, at times and teeth grindingly slow and excruciating process. AND you have to keep driving the Lemn in the meantime. (Though I knew what was coming in my case, and stored it as much as I could so the miles were only 7500 in over the one year we had the thing, to keep the mileage deduction low.)

Interesting, and valid points about the private sale option of yours. I would add that also, if you sold a car like this, and if the purchaser went and ran the VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry) on it at the Mercedes dealer, he would see the 27 warranty claims and realize immediately it was a lemon car, he bought, and then he would probably try to come back and unwind the deal and get his $$$ back from you. THAT you don't need.

So yeah, I guess, trade it in, even at a pretty big loss, at a non Benz dealer, and you are done with the nightmare forever.

And you are done with Mercedes forever, and LOTS of your friends will know why.....

The $40k Volvo C70, after Volvo NA took it back, astonishingly, went cross country, back to Volvo HQ in NJ, as a LEMON branded car, with 7700 miles on it, and 8 months later I accidentally saw it get knocked down on an EBAY auction for just $24k!!!
What depreciation!!! Seller was a used car dealer in same NJ town as Volvo HQ which buys lemon cars from Volvo and resells them, it said in the ad.

The VIN# matched, I recognized the auction picture of the 7,000 mile service booklet stamp at the garage I took it to, so I was sure it was the same car. Unbelievably,the auction picture of the Lemon Law disclosure by Volvo on the title papers said "Customer complained that car wandered on crown of road - unable to replicate - bought back car as goodwill"

Total LIE!!! Car had numerous squeaks and leaks they could NEVER fix.
What LIARS at Volvo NA, buyer beware. I would NEVER buy a branded Lemon Law car, at any savings. Jeezaloo.

Let us know what you buy next, when you do it...

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
getting lemons out of my life

Even the sales manager of MB Princeton told us that this policy has caused several current MB owners to walk out their door rather than buy another Benz. One would think that the dealers would lean on MB USA to alter their policy so that it is more consumer friendly.Also, I was offered the $2,400.00 as a supposed additional discount on another Benz should I decide to trade it in there however I'm sure they'll just find a way to recover this somewhere else in the deal. Besides, my car has left such a bad taste that I really don't want another-no matter how good the deal seems. I suppose that buying a BMW or Audi is just as much of a crapshoot-at this point I'll take my chances. It's a shame I'll have to take a fair sized loss trading it in but the thing that really gets me is that I have to eat that warranty. If they would have made a goodwill gesture and offered me even as little as HALF back my attitude might be far different. I work as the office mgr. for a large G.M. dealer and even lowly G.M. has a provision to refund the unused portion of an extended warranty. My boyfriend also said to just get rid of the albatross and my blood pressure will probably drop 30 points. My brother has both an A6 Avant wagon and a TT-he has nothing but praise for both so perhaps that's the direction in which I'll be going.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Were they able to fix the issues in your 27 visits or the problems are just recurring?

If you trade it in, I think it will be in the $15 - 18k range. Here is one for sale at a MB dealer that is similar to yours:

20k miles asking $22.9k.
Mercedes-Benz of South Bay, Torrance CA - View Inventory

Used car dealers and private parties ask as low as $18k.

32k miles asking $18.5k.
cars.com: 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
warranty

Most issues were taken care of however there is an ongoing tranny issue. The dealer has replaced 2 TCMs, clutch rollers, and most recently the valve body-we were informed that the one installed at the factory was the improper one for this vehicle!! It only took them 2 years to figure this one out. And it still has the same issues although not as pronounced. Bangs when downshifting into 1st, a harsh and dragged out
2nd to 3rd shift, and occasionally dropping out of gear for a second or two. The bottom line here is that I am done with this car- it only has 38K miles and is still covered by the original 4 yr/50K warranty. Would any rational person be of the opinion that not only should I endure these continual repair issues but also should have to eat the $2,400.00 outlay for an extended warranty that will never go into effect?? Valerie

2003 C240 4 matic wagon - but not for long
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic - (this thing is bulletproof!!)
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix (32K original miles)- from grandpa
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Demand a new tranny and your car might be trouble-free for the next 50k miles.

If you are so angry about the $2.4k (or half of it at $1.2), then trading it in is not the answer. You will lose another $2.4k in the trade in process.

Hey who not ask the dealer you work for try to sell it?
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I won't lose quite that much since a trade value of, say, $17K will reduce my sales tax outlay by a little over a grand. I though of asking my boss to sell it but then thought better of it. Didn't want the buyer coming back to complain or try to return the car if and when he checked the service history with MB. I have to work with these people every day.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Not the only bad Mercedes Benz dealer in New Jersey?

You may have missed this. Just crazy. Is it just Mercedes Benz or people from NJ? Or Mercedes Benza dealers in NJ? You tell us.....

This caused a firestorm of comments - here and on the Mercedesshop forum. It was funny, but it also got an internet lynch mob going. But in the end nothing much really changed.

Presented here again for your edification, amusement, shock and comments (if you have any)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...nt-use-em.html

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 10-02-2007 at 10:35 AM.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Talking The german Yugo is GONE!!!

It's gone!!! My blood pressure has dropped drastically!! Am now the proud owner of a shiny new black A6 wagon!! They didn't kill me too badly on the trade either - ($17,265.00).
How's this for irony-when we got home I find in my mailbox- an invitation to MB Princeton for their 2008 C-Class Salon Launch Party on Oct. 5th!! Should we go???

Gotta split- my boyfriend is taking me to Morton's to celebrate!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather--not like his thirty screaming passengers"

Last edited by wolfmancometh; 10-02-2007 at 04:21 PM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Congrats! You did well because you got near the upper side of my $15-18k range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in