LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
seriously.. wtf??

i don't drive my mercedes, btw it's a 01 C320.. honestly, it sits in the back yard and i think it'd be better if i DID drive it, because it's broke more sitting there for no reason than it did whenever i drove it.. i can't stand this car and i'm willing to burn the thing if i could get away with insurance fraud... but.. the new problem.. so i go to start the car because i'm about to wash it for someone wanting to buy it, and of course the battery is dead, so after deciding it's the battery because mercedes seem to have the oddest "no power/batter dead" symptoms of any car i've ever had, i change the battery... and of course, another problem.. NOTHING WORKS!!! go through the manual and for some reason these geniuses can't figure out how to get things automatically working again after replacing the battery.. but hey, atleast my radio kept it's presets!! so i reset the ESP, seats, sunroof, etc, then i get a screen on the OBC saying "visit workshop,display faulty"(pic)

... figures because that's all this car has ever done: flash about how i need to visit the workshop... i look in the manual AGAIN and the only things related to display faults are level 2 codes, and according to the book (which is very vauge as to what the problem might actually be) it should be able to be cleared like the ESP fault was cleared.. and the book only shows display faults with a engine picture below the words, and a electric lightning bolt looking thing, but nothing anywhere close to what mine is showing...

what's going on, and can i fix it??

also, if it is the gauge cluster itself, will the cluster from a C240 work in mine?

sorry for the ranting, and if this car was more reliable, then i'd love it, but just breaking from sitting there and not being driven is completely ridiculous IMO.. i can see why people love them, but i can COMPLETELY understand my people hate them also.. i'm honestly happier with my 93 honda, my 91 honda, and my 94 ford ranger than i am with this car.. i'd rather have manual windows than windows and a sunroof that needs reset because the battery dies..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Just about the time I think about buying a newer car I come across something like this. Sorry I'm no help but thanks.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah.. i'll never buy another one i don't think.. when i first got the car, less than two weeks later the door panels started coming apart, then i got a SRS light, and MB dealer wanted 115 just to LOOK at it, then another 40 to reset it, then my "visit workshop, oil level low" light kept coming on, so being something that could turn major, i had them check it out, only to find out the only way of diagnosing the problem was to actually replace the part (450 at a german service shop) because again, the geniuses didn't think to put an actual dipstick in the car, nor did they think to even supply the shops with one to double check something like this, so i said screw it, drained the oil, filled it up and it's fine..then comes a clicking in my dash.. after not having drove the car for close to 5 months, only starting and letting it run, the shop told me 6-800, but they weren't sure what it was, so it might be more, then had the service done, and then my battery dies, and the rest of the story from there is up top.... i'm willing to sell this car for 2K less than what i owe on it, and 5K less than NADA...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: C320 4matic
i'm a new MB owner but i've read about problems after replacing a battery or after the car dies. With the large electical system a mercedes contains it is understandable why everything needs to be reset ... too bad it is an annoyance. I haven't had really any problems with my 320 yet. I would post this in the C-Class forum for more accurate responses. There is a lot of good people that should be able to help.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
ok thanks.. can someone move it for me? i don't want to repost and get a "omg, you reposted" flame war going..
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
bump.. no one knows??
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buymybenz
yeah.. . . . . the shop told me 6-800, but they weren't sure what it was, so it might be more, . . . . . ....
You may want to consider a new mechanic. Someone told you it's going to cost six to eight hundred dollars, but they have no idea what the problem is, so it could be more. Think about that. What if it's a bad voltage regulator? The regulator costs $25 and takes 30 minutes to install. Is that supposed to be six hundred? It sounds like you're being taken for a ride.

As for the dip stick and the oil sensor, I can't speak for whomever your wrench is, but my dealer has a dip stick. Several of them. They sell them at the parts counter. Also, the Mercedes-Benz maintenance DVD clearly states the oil level sensor can be TESTED with a Star Diagnostic box.

Lastly, your car is seven years old. You parked it with a seven year old battery for five months. I'm not surprised that it was dead when you got ready to start it.

Seriously, give a new wrench some consideration.

Last edited by MarcusF; 09-13-2007 at 10:01 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
You may want to consider a new mechanic. Someone told you it's going to cost six to eight hundred dollars, but they have no idea what the problem is, so it could be more. Think about that. What if it's a bad voltage regulator? The regulator costs $25 and takes 30 minutes to install. Is that supposed to be six hundred? It sounds like you're being taken for a ride.

As for the dip stick and the oil sensor, I can't speak for whomever your wrench is, but my dealer has a dip stick. Several of them. They sell them at the parts counter. Also, the Mercedes-Benz maintenance DVD clearly states the oil level sensor can be TESTED with a Star Diagnostic box.

Lastly, your car is seven years old. You parked it with a seven year old battery for five months. I'm not surprised that it was dead when you got ready to start it.

Seriously, give a new wrench some consideration.
YEAH! What he said....

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
vote = new mechanic

preferbly an independent one who knows them inside and out. they are usually more honest and reliable than dealerships. also, in hindsight, you should have undone the battery if you planned on letting the car sit longer than a month and put the battery in safe storage...off the ground.

ounce of prevention.

My first suggestion to you is to change all of your fuses and try to crank it up again.

good luck
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Red face Here is a hint

When changing a battery, take an old lighter plug (radar detector), and connect a 9 volt battery. Plug this in and leave it while changing the battery.
This will provide enough current to avoid all these problems.

How much for the car?
B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in