Will our MB's brain die before its body? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Right now MB is charging thousands of dollars for electronic parts and modules that can't possibly cost a hundred dollars to produce. They presumably believe that they have made proprietary parts and that they control the economic viability of the cars. But China and others get better every year at replicating complex parts and electronics. Perhaps some day aftermarket parts will be available for items that MB thought were proprietary. That's really the only hope for these cars to have long lives. Otherwise MB has complete control over their economic viabiltiy and based on current electronic parts prices seems to think it's in their interest for the cars to have relatively short economic lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to g.w.b Send a message via Yahoo to g.w.b
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Mercy
look at that and then look at our little motors, I would still rather drive my little 280. Hadn't you?

I agree whit you

1991 160 monza (100 259 km)
1974 w116 300D (890 000 km)

S.A. ROCK
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: C320 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT.
The bigger question is: will anyone in 20-30 years want a car that sucks fuel and is a big honkin' sedan?
Very true

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2007 C230
Folks used to say the same thing about fuel injection. While I'm certainly not saying that you won't have any trouble with the electronics, I would say that the probability of trouble will diminish over time to a point of not being an issue. And your '92 had plenty of electronics of a much more crude design and in some ways more complex.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richamor
Folks used to say the same thing about fuel injection. While I'm certainly not saying that you won't have any trouble with the electronics, I would say that the probability of trouble will diminish over time to a point of not being an issue. And your '92 had plenty of electronics of a much more crude design and in some ways more complex.
That is an excellent point!

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: ML350 2006
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bet the brain will die out first.
Heck, you're a lawyer, as long as you have clients you'll be able to afford a new Benz whenever your old one conks out.
In the meantime, enjoy it in whatever way makes you happy.

06 ML350, Pewter, Black Leather Seats, Navteq '12, Sunroof, Trim Package, Entertainment Package (Harman Kardon Surround w/ 5 Disc Changer, Auxillary Jack), Brown Birds Eye Maple Wood, Rear Side Airbags, Trailer Hitch, Heated Front Seats, Power Liftgate, 20% OE rear colored glass.
Mod: Front Grill Chrome Kit, Suntek HP 35% tinted front windows, Goodyear Fortera 245/65/17, Duralast battery
Mileage: 128K mi (May'16)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanyel
Right now MB is charging thousands of dollars for electronic parts and modules that can't possibly cost a hundred dollars to produce. They presumably believe that they have made proprietary parts and that they control the economic viability of the cars. But China and others get better every year at replicating complex parts and electronics. Perhaps some day aftermarket parts will be available for items that MB thought were proprietary. That's really the only hope for these cars to have long lives. Otherwise MB has complete control over their economic viabiltiy and based on current electronic parts prices seems to think it's in their interest for the cars to have relatively short economic lives.
The cost is not only on production, you have significant R&D costs too. Chinese may do it cheaper when they can avoid the R&D cost (you know how). MB would use standard computers if those would make sense in their cars.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrew
I had to throw away my first Radio Shack computer. My current HP printer and my Sony HD also looks weak.

The only things that seems to work for us: older mid life-guys: are our younger Thai wives.
Personal computers are a good example in the sense that no one would build new spare components to the old ones even if it would be a piece of cake with current technology. The tasks we did with old computers can easily be done with new ones while the car computers are more of an issue.

A new engine electronics box would easily do the tasks its predecessor was supposed to do 20 years ago but the HW is not enough, and it even isn't exactly compatible. Who would write the SW to new control boxes that replace the old ones.

I doubt we can hope for Chinese copies, their salaries have become too high for the reverse engineering task and building a few units for after market purposes, when currently new cars are considered.

As mentioned earlier, one would have to make sure to avoid corrosion on control modules in order to see current models turning to classics, not necessarily simple but not too much more would be needed either.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
I've often wondered the same thing as Corkscrew. In the end, I have a hard time believing that our cars will make it to classic status. If they do, they will have had to been coddled and pampered their entire lives, with no bad years of neglect. Today, you can pull a neglected car from the 1910's through easily the 1960's out of a barn or even a field and totally restore it. It will be expensive, yes, but you're mostly dealing with metal, wood, leather, and glass. If my 211 sat in a field for 20 years, it would never function or be repairable. Sure, the metal, wood leather and glass can be renewed, but the computers and electronic modules will be unrepairable. But, I may be wrong: We may have future technology that will allow this, such as completely universal and programmable modules that you can get to reproduce any function. After all, metal forming and plastics forming technology has come a long way, making once unrepairable components repairable. Only time will tell...

I'll place my bet on my old 1973 Bronco, though. As long as there is combustible fuel to pour into its tanks, it'll always get me where I need to go and will be completely repariable. It's all metal. That's pretty much it. I think it has a fuse box with just three fuses in it!

Hugh
2006 E320 CDI
2010 Ford Escape Hybrid
2003 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4
1965 Austin Healey 3000
1958 Austin Healey Sprite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in