i thought benzes were built to last 20yrs/250k miles?? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
The car I am replacing with a B 200 went 362,000 km and would go another 40 K at least if I would spend another $600 on parts and install them myself.

But it's worth maybe $450 as a used car, so that doesn't make sense. It had no significant repairs at all in its 19 years - original clutch, original dirveshafts (one of whiich has finally gone, almost), no engine work was needed at all. I changed the brakes a few times (discs and pads) plus two rear calipers.....

OK so that's pretty much 230,000 miles in a French car (Peugeot 405 DL).

When I bought the smart, I fully expected it to at least make 300,000 km without major incident. I am a little over 1/4 there, so far so good.

With the B 200, I also expect to see at least 300,000 and maybe more. Now that I live in a mild climate (unlike the 405 that is being retired, which was in a harsh winter zone for 6 years), it should actually last indefinitely, with good maintenance.

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, restoration underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Elmore Leonard on "Getting Respect"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBruce
Hello! You buy a Mercedes for the prestige. They've been around for 120 years & you are noticed, when driven.

PS: If you want to look good &impress : " You gotta pay the cost to be the Boss!" I'll alway's own a Mercedes-Benz Motorcar.

Why?? INSTANT RESPECT !!
" Cars are just for getting from here to there, for maybe picking up a few dollars.

$hit, if I want to IMPRESS someone, I would just stick the barrel of a nickel plated .45 down their throat, and ear back the hammer...."

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
" Cars are just for getting from here to there, for maybe picking up a few dollars.

$hit, if I want to IMPRESS someone, I would just stick the barrel of a nickel plated .45 down their throat, and ear back the hammer...."
Phil................................... is that you?
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: C320 4matic
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBruce
One last note. If you are an Atheist................. DO NOT BUY A MERCEDES-BENZ. If so, this car will make you religious!

PRAYER: Please Jesus Christ, My Lord & Savior. Please do not make me spend $5,000.00 this month on my Mercedes!

i found that hilarious ... unless of course it was happening!

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
So engine replacement is wear and tear then
in your book ?
I don't find this line persuading. You mean I have to "die in order
to discuss your experience with you" says Mccoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Yes, after 15-18 years, engine harness is wear and tear however you have to realize the issue also occurs with BMW, VW, Skoda and all other EU country manufacturers as the problem with mid 90s wiring harnesses was with EU required recyclable materials coupled with heat. A solution was found and implemented in later cars.

Yes, transmission replacement is wear and tear. After 150,000+ miles pretty much any tranny is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced. The bigger and heaver the car, the more stress a tranny has and therefore more pressure on the tranny. Our shop replaces or rebuilds trannys on Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura about the same rate as for Benz.

MB SAID transmissions were sealed for life. They changed that a couple of years ago.

I see a bunch of Mercedes built from 80-95 that have 150-400,000 miles. Any shop in the country that works on European cars has the same stories. In the "put my money where my mouth is" I just bought a second Benz that has 240,000 miles. My cars have a cummulative 1,000,000+ miles and with the exception of two I would take any cross country at any time. The two that I would not are a 68SE Coupe and the 80SL which is a bit uncomfortable for that kind of trip.

Now, go ANYWHERE and pick out a collection of 150-400,000 mile Hondas, Lexus, Acura and Toyotas built from 1980 to 1995. Find out how many are only on their first motor. Their first transmission. Good luck with that.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2005 Brabus SLK
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
Isn't it a benz that holds the world record for most miles on original drive train? Has a benz not owned this designation for years?
100% true...this is what you are talking about:
"On September 29th, 2004, Greek taxi driver Gregorios Sachinidis from Thessalonica handed over his 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D to the Mercedes-Benz Museum Collection. Having covered more than 4.6 million kilometers - roughly 2.8 million miles - this "Stroke Eight" is the Mercedes-Benz with the highest recorded mileage known to date."

and the whole article here Mercedes-Benz, Home of Mercedes-Benz Luxury Automobiles

2005 Brabus Slk
***Brabus front and rear spoiler***
***Brabus side panels with LED entrance lights ***
***Brabus 18" rims***
***Brabus stainless steel rollbars***
***Brabus 4-pipe stainless steel sport exhaust system ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in