ROTTEN EGG SMELL S320 WHATS UP WITH THIS S%^T! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: MERCEDES S320 S500 AND S550 COMING SOON!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to iconthemaybachdon
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation ROTTEN EGG SMELL S320 WHATS UP WITH THIS S%^T!

HELLO TO ALL MY NEW MERCEDES FAM! I AM GLAD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF BENZWORLD................WELL WITH GAS PRICES @ AN ALLTIME HIGH, EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS I KNOW U FEEL ME...I HAVE AN 94 S 320 WHICH IS MY OLDEST CHILD. 2005 S 500 WHICH IS MY SECOND OLDEST. OK HERE IS THE PROBLEM.......YESTERDAY I MET THIS FINE A#$ GIRL AND WE WENT ON A DATE IN THE GREY GOOSE (94 S 320) EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD UNTIL AFTER THE MOVIE.............GUYZ U KNOW WHATS NEXT, BACK TO THE CRIB....I THOUGHT.TO MY SUPRISE @ THE LIGHT SHE NOTICE THE SMELL BEFORE I DID AND THE SMOKE! I WAS SOOOOOOO MAD! BESIDES THE NIGHT CAME 2 A END FAST. MY FOCUS WASNT ON GETTING HER BACK 2 THE CRIB , BUT GETTING GREY GOOSE HOME SAFE UNTIL I CAN GET A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS.................SO MY EXTENDED FAMILY PLEASE HELP ME SO THIS DONT HAPPEN AGAIN..................STAY TUNED/HOLLA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94 GREY GOOSE SWB.jpg (55.5 KB, 1206 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
The rotten egg smell is sometimes an indicator of a failing catalytic converter.

Mike
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes Benz C220 CDI Avantgarde (W204)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
The rotten egg smell is sometimes an indicator of a failing catalytic converter.
No - the rotten egg smell is an indicator of running on high sulphur gas ... the catalytic converter is just working fine even in this case
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 03:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WokPan
No - the rotten egg smell is an indicator of running on high sulphur gas ... the catalytic converter is just working fine even in this case
Everything I've read with the W140 indicates a bad cat with that smell, the only way a car could be that high on sulfur is in the fuel and thats almost impossible without other symptoms in this case.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WokPan

Your first post contradicts a majority of the postings on this subject. Do a search.
I dont know about the regulation of sulfur content in gasoline in Finland. I am going to assume that they are fairly similar between most gas companies in the United States.

Mike
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Your first post contradicts a majority of the postings on this subject. Do a search.
I dont know about the regulation of sulfur content in gasoline in Finland. I am going to assume that they are fairly similar between most gas companies in the United States.
Honestly I don't know about any figures of sulphur content but Finland being an EU member country, it would follow EU rules and would not have any higher sulphur content than other EU countries.

I must agree with Pillay, would be odd if the issue was from the gas (assuming I understood the post from WokPan correctly, we have room here for clarifications too). And I would assume gas being pretty similar in the US and EU countries, while diesel has been quite different until ULSD in the US made that too pretty much the same.

Also I'm not familiar with the gasser catalytic converter issues (for some reason, have never been involved with any) and don't have any position on that, except that I would tend to agree with the views of obviously knowledgeable forum members.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Absolutely correct.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconthemaybachdon
HELLO TO ALL MY NEW MERCEDES FAM! I AM GLAD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF BENZWORLD................WELL WITH GAS PRICES @ AN ALLTIME HIGH, EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS I KNOW U FEEL ME...I HAVE AN 94 S 320 WHICH IS MY OLDEST CHILD. 2005 S 500 WHICH IS MY SECOND OLDEST. OK HERE IS THE PROBLEM.......YESTERDAY I MET THIS FINE A#$ GIRL AND WE WENT ON A DATE IN THE GREY GOOSE (94 S 320) EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD UNTIL AFTER THE MOVIE.............GUYZ U KNOW WHATS NEXT, BACK TO THE CRIB....I THOUGHT.TO MY SUPRISE @ THE LIGHT SHE NOTICE THE SMELL BEFORE I DID AND THE SMOKE! I WAS SOOOOOOO MAD! BESIDES THE NIGHT CAME 2 A END FAST. MY FOCUS WASNT ON GETTING HER BACK 2 THE CRIB , BUT GETTING GREY GOOSE HOME SAFE UNTIL I CAN GET A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS.................SO MY EXTENDED FAMILY PLEASE HELP ME SO THIS DONT HAPPEN AGAIN..................STAY TUNED/HOLLA
OK; a quick way of alleviating this situation is go to Autozone and get a bottle of Catalytic Cleaner. Ask them at the Counter. It will clean your Catalytic Converter and get rid of the Rotten egg smell.
Additionally; if I was you; I would change out my Fuel Filter and run through a big jug of Lucas Fuel Conditioner. Also; what brand of Gasoline do you use?
I use Chevron, BPAmoco, Texaco. The Fuel Filter change out is a Bonus, not a mandatory. I'm just anal like that!
Say; umm; YOU SURE SHE DIDN'T BREAK WIND IN THE CAR?

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz of Florida
Say; umm; YOU SURE SHE DIDN'T BREAK WIND IN THE CAR?

So it might not have been the catalytic converter after all. I wonder which dealer would dare to suggest that option.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
I'm guessing it's the gal...she farted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in