post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
So someone is looking at $8,600 minimum and $13,300 in work to bring the car up to basic AVERAGE standard, no leaks, no slips with good paint. Now add the cost of the car which is going to be around $5500-6000.

Delayed maintenance and lack of attention has put this car in an untenable buying position.
I'd suggest this car IS in average condition.

This is a LARGE part of the reason it's selling for $6K instead of the $60K or whatever it was it sold for new.

Used cars aren't new cars and their prices reflect that.

You will NEVER find a used car that doesn't need some work. Certainly not a Mercedes.

You can find 500E for sale in the $20K range, however.

You COULD choose to consider this partly sunny rather than partly cloudy.

As it sits it's pretty well priced and YOU get to supervise the maintenance it needs.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
I'd suggest this car IS in average condition.

This is a LARGE part of the reason it's selling for $6K instead of the $60K or whatever it was it sold for new.

Used cars aren't new cars and their prices reflect that.

You will NEVER find a used car that doesn't need some work. Certainly not a Mercedes.

You can find 500E for sale in the $20K range, however.

You COULD choose to consider this partly sunny rather than partly cloudy.

As it sits it's pretty well priced and YOU get to supervise the maintenance it needs.
If you pulled out the body and paint work [about $3K minimum] you would still have a car that is well under par and would require over its selling price just to bring it to Average [needs some mechanical work].

This car, based on visual/mechanical appraisal is currently either Rough/ Damaged in Edmunds terms or Fair/Poor in KBB terms.

These are the terms that I would use if I either buy the car and then sell it to a specialty dealer, collector or restorer and are the terms I use when I buy a car from a specialty dealer, collector or restorer.

That is why I say this particular car is in an untenable selling position as it has a combination price [cost of car + cost of body repair + cost of mechanical repair] to get the car to "good" condition of $14-18,000. At that cost there are other 500Es out there that are GOOD and some that are at EXCELLENT for the same outlay [or just a bit more] Now if someone wants a project, this would be a good one. as the chassis and interior start off clean.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
From three weeks ago.

My e500 for sale.
As most of you know I have purchased an e60, thus my only reason for selling the car I thought I never would. I just don't trust my wife with this car. We have a baby on the way as well, which would require a back seat mod to get a car seat in the middle. So here are the details; I have had the car nearly a year. Had 67.5k on purchase now has 69k. Has been here in Tucson most of its life. NO rust, collision evidence etc. I just had it resprayed - clearcoat was funky. $4k paintjob. Replaced rubber around door handles and mirror covers as well. I also had the front license plate delete added after paint job, I do have plate mount as well (freshly painted). Recent oe MB windshield. Has typical clearcoat cracks in center console wood, rest of wood is bright and clear. LF seat has typical worn stitches on bolster, otherwise leather is perfect. No leaks or needed repairs. It also has built in K40 front and rear radar detector, (leds in cluster either side of speedo) -pictured. Custom stereo package with MB quart speakers and Xtant amp. This stuff was all professionally installed before I purchased the car, I do have the receipt for it at over 5k. The front door pockets are "peeling" I do own oe replacements new in box uninstalled, which I will include if I get near my asking price. Original wheels have tires that are dry but still usable, I would be willing to part with the evo2 wheels that are currently pictured, but will not sell my mono III's Generally this is a beautiful car. I'd like 22k

My e500 for sale. - 500Ecstasy.com | everybody get your ROLL on

You won't be seeing that one at auction or Auto Trader. And it is a value at that price.

Or you might look at this one

'93 Gold 500E For Sale
1993 500E for sale. This is formally Carl Genberg’s car so most of you know the history. I purchased it in May 2005. I hate to sell, but I just don’t get the time to drive the car. This car has all of the BergWerks modifications, including Nitrous. Mileage 163,388. I only put 7,300 miles on the car since May of ‘05. First $20,000 takes this car. I'm located in Long Beach, CA

'93 Gold 500E For Sale - 500Ecstasy.com | everybody get your ROLL on

Or this 43,000 mile example for $24,900 from a month ago.
Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
DID ANY OF THEM SALE???

The key words are "I'd like 22k" and etc., I would like to sell my 1992 190E 2.6 for $100,000!

Using current information there are three for sale on ebay, two have no bids, one has 3 bids (its price is up to $2,225.00). The "Buy it Now" prices are $20,000, $12,000 and $11,850, the later two prices are within the KBB and Edmunds quotes).

I put an item watch on all three will report back the selling price (if any).

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series (item 230165520381 end time Sep-02-07 05:54:54 PDT)

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series (item 250160153943 end time Sep-06-07 15:39:12 PDT)

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series (item 270160928512 end time Sep-09-07 19:00:38 PDT)
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 CL55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoin
DID ANY OF THEM SALE???

The key words are "I'd like 22k" and etc., I would like to sell my 1992 190E 2.6 for $100,000!

Using current information there are three for sale on ebay, two have no bids, one has 3 bids (its price is up to $2,225.00). The "Buy it Now" prices are $20,000, $12,000 and $11,850, the later two prices are within the KBB and Edmunds quotes).

Why don't you give it a rest. At this point you know nothing about the 500E collector market and are just jazzing. As pointed out earlier, the good cars are not going to be showing up on eBay or Auto Trader in the first place. They move between private sales. You have to know where to look and obviously, you don't have a clue.

So keep looking on eBay and edmunds and assume you have a clue what is going on in this market. Spot out those collector mint 72 911 Carreras that show up there also.

And as for your comment regarding "i'd like 22K" and "I would like to sell my 1992 190E 2.6 for $100,000!", one of those two statements will occur even in the softest market in the past decade.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
DID ANY OF THEM SALE???

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series (item 230165520381 end time Sep-02-07 05:54:54 PDT)

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series (item 250160153943 end time Sep-06-07 15:39:12 PDT)

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series (item 270160928512 end time Sep-09-07 19:00:38 PDT)
You do realize the second one is a SALVAGE titled car and the third one has had a pretty bad hit in the rear [and a really bad radio install] don't you?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern500
Why don't you give it a rest. At this point you know nothing about the 500E collector market and are just jazzing. As pointed out earlier, the good cars are not going to be showing up on eBay or Auto Trader in the first place. They move between private sales. You have to know where to look and obviously, you don't have a clue.

So keep looking on eBay and edmunds and assume you have a clue what is going on in this market. Spot out those collector mint 72 911 Carreras that show up there also.

And as for your comment regarding "i'd like 22K" and "I would like to sell my 1992 190E 2.6 for $100,000!", one of those two statements will occur even in the softest market in the past decade.
Now be nice

Let's have dinner tonight before you head back to Florida next week. You need to see the latest 500 project that is heading to the paint booth next week [motor work done and new monster brakes installed last night]. I will be a Joe's at 7.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with mcbear. Simply put if you can't afford or care enough to keep these cars running and serviced properly you should not own one.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern500

This is so funny "They move between private sales. You have to know where to look and obviously, you don't have a clue." So it is a secret? You have to be invited to join the 500E club like the Mason (Freemason) Order.

Will the 500E be in any of the following non-secret type of sells:
Gooding:
Gooding & Company - Quality is our Style
Recent auction:
Gooding & Company

RM
http://www.rmauctions.com/
Recent auction:
http://www.rmauctions.com/AuctionRes...?SaleCode=MO07

Russo and Steele
Welcome to <br> Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions - - Russo and Steele

Have to signup (free) to see results at Russo & Steele

Kruse
Kruse International
Example of recent result for Mercedes:
Kruse International
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C230 Coupe (Me) 2003 SLK 320 (Wife) 1993 Toyota (Commuter)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mcbear, with all due respect, this reminds me of the time I tried to explain some things to a wall. For some reason, I don't think the wall got it.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
This is so funny "They move between private sales. You have to know where to look and obviously, you don't have a clue." So it is a secret? You have to be invited to join the 500E club like the Mason (Freemason) Order.

Will the 500E be in any of the following non-secret type of sells:
Gooding:
Gooding & Company - Quality is our Style
Recent auction:
Gooding & Company

RM
RM AUCTIONS
Recent auction:
RM AUCTIONS

Russo and Steele
Welcome to <br> Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions - - Russo and Steele

Have to signup (free) to see results at Russo & Steele

Kruse
Kruse International
Example of recent result for Mercedes:
Kruse International
They have been at Kruse before and BJ Florida that I remember but that was last year I think. I am not at my desktop computer to take a peak as I am going to be at Kruse in Auburn Indiana Saturday morning for the day.

I note you did not mention the Salvaged title or damaged 500 that you listed previously.

What Steve means by "knowing where to look and private sales" is pretty simple. If someone wants a low mileage 500E they call one of about six people and we start searching for the right car for them. Mileage, color, interior. Since they are all optioned the same, unless the buyer wants a RENNtech or Brabus, the hunt is down to Color, miles and history.

Same with someone that wants to sell. If a good car is for sell, there are folks that will know about it and hook up buyers that are already on eRolodex well before it has to hit Auto Trader or eBay. We do that with older 911s, XK-Es and 500Es, C2 and C3 Corvettes, Cars like that. Steve does it much more than I do as that is his primary business since the 80s.

They are not secret, just not public sales. Does that clear it up?

McBear,
Kentucky

Last edited by mcbear; 09-01-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in