LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1983 W123 300CD OM617: 1992 W124 400E M119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mrhills0146
- Firm seats. Regardless of generation, there is something unique about Mercedes seats. The only seats that feel better to MY hindquarters are Volvo seats, as they make excellent seats. (Too bad about the rest of the car surrounding said seats.)

- The fact that my 300CD has been a daily-driver since the mid 1990s. It just keeps going and going and going and going. There is not a part on this car that is not designed to be replaced or re-built in some form or fashion.

- The giant steering wheel. My CD has it, 400E does not, and I have to say that I prefer the NYC bus-sized wheel.

- MB Tex. Who would ever think that a vinyl material would out-last steel? Any W123 owner can vouch for this - seat springs will break before your MB Tex tears.

Matt in Atlanta

1983 300CD
Black-on-black daily driver
299K and laid up right now

Former:
1992 400E, smoke silver-on-mushroom, sold at 168K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 e 350 4matic wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeneses View Post
2) Double walls, paneling, padding, insulation. Everywhere you look, the car is insulated from drafts and noise. Even the chrome trim around the windows is designed to reduce/eliminate road and wind noise.

How about headliner rattle noise in the E320?

3) Rubber drivetrain couplings instead of mechanical u-joints. Engineering wise the pinion angle needs to be much closer to 0 degrees for these to work properly, but the result is a nice soft smooth drive...one of the little intangibles that you realize feels better in an M-B but aren't sure why. Likewise the soft exhaust system mounting and flex joints enhances this feel.

The flex discs are something else that can go wrong (as opposed to just having mechanical u-joints) and when they go wrong will affect said "nice soft smooth ride"

4) High quality materials. Compare with any other make year-for-year and you will see that M-B is using better stuff.

Hydraulic motor mounts that do not last a fraction of conventional solid mounts.

Plastic window regulator pulleys that fall apart.

Vanity mirror covers whose plastic hinge pins break off.

Windshield base trim rubber that rots and cracks within 5 years.

Ball joints and tie rod ends that don't even last to 65k miles.

Spark plug wires that again don't last to 65k miles (arching causing misfire)

A/C compressor bearing(s) that went bad at 73K miles

OEM radio that gained a mind of it's own around 71k miles

OEM CD changer that started to skip around 71k miles

Outside temperature readout that crapped out around 65k miles

Instrument cluster clock light bulb that crapped out around 68k miles

Cigarette lighter that launches itself onto the leather seat (I don't smoke)

Differential oil level sensor/seals bad 70k miles

Voltage regulator bad 71K miles

I service our car religiously and it is not driven "hard"

Yep, real quality components for a $40K+ 2002 E320

Well I could go on and on...but with the stops pulled for every feature, it results in a superior driving car
Unfortunately compared to our 2002 E320, I have driven 3 series BMW's, baby Lexus' and even Honda Accords that drive better and don't spend nearly as much time in the shop with such failures.[/QUOTE]

Well goes to show that excellent marques still turn out sub-par examples.Sorry you had to put up with one. Now as to my own experience; I owned a 2000 V70 Volvo also @ $40k... and lasted 110,000 miles...and my list was alot longer than yours.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
A lot of what I'm reading is about the luxury items, and status of owning a Merc.

What's really important to me as well is their race performance. For example, RevDB shows Merc's performance at LeMans. There are other cases where Merc has come out on top in the racing realm as well, and that gives some support to me being a merc fanboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in