LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 buetec urea injection

I'm considering buying a bluetec E320. Should I stay away from the urea injection system? How often do you have to fill the urea tank? any other pros or cons between diesel systems 2007 and 2008? I live in FL, a 45 state compliance area. Thanks John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing to "stay away" from.

I think the interval is 100K miles.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Is the 2008 US E-Class CDI going to have urea injection? It was first supposed to appear for the current Bluetec but it didn't. Now there is a European Bluetec supposed to come, an E300 Bluetec (yes, E300). This one is supposed to fulfill EU5 emissions, this isn't exactly the same as the US requirement for 50 states, as far as I know (could be tigher in some aspects, less stringent on other).

In any case, if it did have urea injection or not, I agree there is nothing to stay away from. The only issue with lower emissions is that they may reduce HP and may lower mileage. Other enhancements may compensate those losses though.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
Mercedes has not announced yet if the E Class will get the urea (adblue will be the marketing name) injection to make it 50 state compliant in 2008. MBNA has said that the SUV's, that is the R, ML, and GL class will be the launch vehicles for the adblue injection to make them 50 state compliant. At that point, they will start carrying the "Bluetec" name instead of 320CDI. It has been a bit confusing since Mercedes went ahead and introduced the Bluetec name on the E320 diesel even though it wasn't the final stage bluetec system. One thing I read was that engineers were working on where to place the adblue container in the E Class. The SUV's have plenty of room. I would feel pretty certain Mercedes will have the E class 50 state compliant in 2008 as well. There will be two or three more states that adopt the California standards for model year 2008 diesels, so Mercedes is losing the ability to sell the diesel models in those states when the 2008 models come out here next month. I personally have an R320CDI on order set for August build because I wanted to go ahead and get one before they have the final stage emission system with the urea injection. Mercedes says that they are going to set the system up where you have to get the adblue container filled at each oil change interval.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:39 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
Adblue fluid won't be cheap if Mercedes has their way and driving with an empty adblue tank will likely trigger "limp mode" to enforce filling it. Out here in California diesel cars are currently exempt from smog checks while gas cars require a dyno test which drives the cost of the test over $80. I throughly expect that the adblue cars will require smog checks because of the requirement of adding the correct fluid is vital for smog compliance.
That said, I went for the original I6 E320 CDI because I just can't imagine an alloy V6 as a diesel running as smoothly or lasting as long as an iron block inline six.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in