post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Would you buy another Mercedes

I am looking to replace my 430CLK with a 07 CLK550 or CLK 63 and considered several other brands of cars but thought today about looking at another MB. There just doesnt seem to be any car that compares to a MB af far as prestige and satisfaction but im pretty nervous about spending so much and having problems although my CLK has been great, would any of you buy another MB?

Mod list:Carlssons front bumper, custom angel eye fogs, headlight rings, #1 pads, Eibach springs, Inmotion ECU tuning, chrome wheels, Illuminated door sills, in dash DVD and backup camera, complete audio system, AMG pedals, LED lights, Blk maple and chrome shift knob, blk maple center cover and door pulls, Zaino, H&R 10mm spacers, K&N filters, Magnaflow exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am of the opinion that life is to short to buy "off the lot". Buy a classic Benz, spend the bucks to bring it back to 100% and you will have a Classic Benz, one that not everybody has, that turns more heads than the new ones and is more dependable in the long haul.

A low mileage 560SEC, or a roller restored 280SE Coupe will bring many more smiles per mile than any of the new cars and will keep about $60K+ in your pocket instead of in car payments.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
(Thread Starter)
I actually was looking for a nice 560SEC, but still considering the clk550 but I saw another post here today where someone bought a CLS and already have to take it back to the dealer for a problem, that would piss me off greatly

Mod list:Carlssons front bumper, custom angel eye fogs, headlight rings, #1 pads, Eibach springs, Inmotion ECU tuning, chrome wheels, Illuminated door sills, in dash DVD and backup camera, complete audio system, AMG pedals, LED lights, Blk maple and chrome shift knob, blk maple center cover and door pulls, Zaino, H&R 10mm spacers, K&N filters, Magnaflow exhaust
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
My first car was a 1970 220 Diesel and I had several Mercedes in the 70's and 80's. I had a family and along with the dramatic price increases that occured in the late 80's through the 90's, I stayed away from Mercedes. Honestly, I could not afford them. I bought a used, 3 year old 1999 SLK 230 and had no problems. (Note: The SLK seemed to be one of the most trouble free cars Mercedes made from 1999 to 2005, not true of some of their other models during that time. That model was really a pretty basic car made from existing parts, other than the ground breaking retractable top.)I ordered a new 2006 SLK which I have had for a year and a half, and not a single problem! I have a source for some "inside" information on how vehicles are doing at Mercedes-Benz, and I can tell you the quality is much improved on the models that have been coming out the last couple years. The latest J.D.Powers survey for initial quality by brand had Mercedes back up in the top tier. J.D.Powers said it was the most dramatic improvement they had registered since developing the survey. I have enough confidence that I have a 2008 R320CDI on order for August build.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Every year I drive Mercedes-Benz' at Willow Springs Raceway. When the W209 was introduced, I was disappointed. I thought it was a step back from the W208. Last year I drove the CLK550. The 550 made me a believer. Go drive one. There is no comparison between the 550 and the 500 that it replaces. None. The CLK550 has noticeably more motor than the ’06 CLK55.

Unless you plan on buying one, don't drive the CLK63. Once you've driven the 63, there’s no going back. Powerful doesn’t begin to describe the CLK63. The 55K should have been optional on the W208/W209 AMGs. MB has made amends. The CLK63 pulls like a 1990's sportbike. The CLK63 is Porsche nine-ninety-seven fast. Hide the women and children fast. Ray Charles once said, "ain’t nuthin better than sex". Pardon my diction but Ray ain't never drove no CLK63.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 06:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Would I buy another? Of course! I would got with Mcbear's advice. A good 560SEC would leave a lot of cash in your pocket and you would also be driving one of the best MB has made in the last few decades.

Mike
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Cool Yes

Thee is just one problem common to all MB products.

Once you own one... nothing else will do.

B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: Hopes & Dreams
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Every year I drive Mercedes-Benz' at Willow Springs Raceway. When the W209 was introduced, I was disappointed. I thought it was a step back from the W208. Last year I drove the CLK550. The 550 made me a believer. Go drive one. There is no comparison between the 550 and the 500 that it replaces. None. The CLK550 has noticeably more motor than the ’06 CLK55.

Unless you plan on buying one, don't drive the CLK63. Once you've driven the 63, there’s no going back. Powerful doesn’t begin to describe the CLK63. The 55K should have been optional on the W208/W209 AMGs. MB has made amends. The CLK63 pulls like a 1990's sportbike. The CLK63 is Porsche nine-ninety-seven fast. Hide the women and children fast. Ray Charles once said, "ain’t nuthin better than sex". Pardon my diction but Ray ain't never drove no CLK63.

EXACTLY what HE said, except I don't drive at the Willow Springs Raceway and I never drove the CLK550...or the CLK63...
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I am of the opinion that life is to short to buy "off the lot". Buy a classic Benz, spend the bucks to bring it back to 100% and you will have a Classic Benz, one that not everybody has, that turns more heads than the new ones and is more dependable in the long haul.

A low mileage 560SEC, or a roller restored 280SE Coupe will bring many more smiles per mile than any of the new cars and will keep about $60K+ in your pocket instead of in car payments.
That only works "down there"

up here in the salt belt - 11 years is the life expectancy of a car - unless you can afford to keep a winter car & a "toy" summer only car -

The only "classics" you se up here - are the roadsters driven as summer only - with the occasional "other" thrown in -

an '85 SL "summer toy" will still cost you close to 30 K here
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I have been bummed out over the lack of build quality over the years. At least what I am reading online.

I am looking forward to the c220D feedback when it arrives. If it is solid, that will be my next MB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in