~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It pays to watch your MB mechanic

quick but old story:

the Stealership got me good when I first got my C280 to the tune of about $2,500, mostly on shit I didn't even need done. the only things I needed initially that the inspection found were a water pump, flex disc, and serpetine belt. I ended up replacing not only the water pump, flex disc and serp belt. but I also got jerked into replacing the battery, camshaft positioning sensor, radiator neck hoses, fuel filter, all air filters and host of other shit I can't even think of right now...most of my money went to labor hours and I almost blew my fucking top...so to stop the bleeding of my bank account, I condemned the Stealership and found a new mechanic.

Eversince I found myself a good indy MB mechanic that actually allows me to watch them work, I've saved well over $1,000 bucks in rip off repairs so far. parts are priced right and the labor is not at all outrageous anymore. these guys love MB's and their shop is always clean which is a plus, and not a lot of cars left on the lot after hours. which means they get their work done so customers don't have to wonder when they will get their benz back. I've never had to leave mine overnight. and they fix the right shit the first time.

this is my horror to heaven story. what's yours? if you have one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's my story... It's also an old post I titled, Great Warranty, Great Dealership!!!

I was considering canceling my AAA warranty because I owe $1800, have 20k miles left on it and I will probably exceed the 20k by the end of the year. I was thinking that the likelihood of me getting an $1800 bill, when I do mostly DIY is small.

Here was my plan.. I would take it in for one last service before canceling. I would have them replace my rear wiper motor, as it was working intermittently. Then, call it a day for the policy.

Here's what happened... I took it in. They gave me a C280 (I'm beginning to like this car). After checking the ML over, they called me to tell me that in addition to the wiper motor needing to be replaced, my rear main seal was leaking and my center bearing was bad. These were also covered under warranty, but the warranty allowed for less labor time than the dealership charged. The cost? $3200!!!! The warranty would cover most, but it left $900 for me!!!!!

I was first pissed, but after thinking about it, I realized that if these are problems costing much more than the $900, I had better do it while I still have a warranty. I didn't think it would help, but I asked my SA for my warranty information and I told her that I would call her back. After talking to AAA, I found out that the warranty company uses a nationally recognized book of labor time and if the dealership could show reference to its labor time, they would (or might) accept them... I called my SA back (I love her!)

She checked for the justification for the dealership rates, but couldn't find any... (WTF?) She then went to her boss and fought for me!!! (I really love her!) He agreed with her that they have to take care of the customer (That me! YES!!!).

I should mention that she did this after I told her that I would cover the $900. Who does this? Really? On any job, who goes out of their way to make things right?

My bill for the $3200 service plus 1 week rental of the C 280?
Zero dollars!!!

My warranty is AAA and my dealership is Chamber Motorcars of Somerville!

FYI: As of today my warranty has covered $5200 of work on my ML. I paid (or will have paid) $3200 for my warranty. I'm keeping the bitch! The warranty, I mean...

Update... I have to take my ML in for service again next week, so the amount covered by my warranty is likely to go up.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My horror story is simply this: I bought a CPO w/52,000 miles and paid to extend the 12/100,000 to 24/100,000 which cost over $2000. So far, I had the squeaky steering wheel fixed which included a 4-wheel alignment. I don't know what that would have cost but they had the car most of the day (labor @ $92/hour adds up pretty quickly).

I have been using oil (confirmed as burning, no leaks) and I am in "watch mode" on that. Now my COMAND is acting up and I think they will replace that this week; I have an appointment tomorrow for an evaluation. In short, I am close to getting my money back.

I have been invited by the service manager to walk back to the shop and watch the tech do certain things. I think benz rider had an unfortunate experience, but there have been a lot of other reports on here similar to his. My analysis is that it depends largely on the individual dealer. I am happy with mine (by the way I bought the car from them), and so is Bogie. So far, that is 2:1 and we'll have to see how the "votes" fall on this.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz rider
quick but old story:

the Stealership got me good when I first got my C280 to the tune of about $2,500, mostly on shit I didn't even need done. the only things I needed initially that the inspection found were a water pump, flex disc, and serpetine belt. I ended up replacing not only the water pump, flex disc and serp belt. but I also got jerked into replacing the battery, camshaft positioning sensor, radiator neck hoses, fuel filter, all air filters and host of other shit I can't even think of right now...most of my money went to labor hours and I almost blew my fucking top...so to stop the bleeding of my bank account, I condemned the Stealership and found a new mechanic.
Wait, what exactly happened? Did you approve all of those items specifically or just say "Go ahead and do whatever it needs"? Never ever do the latter; always insist on having them explain every item they want to do and approve each one separately. The next question is whether the car actually needed all those extra parts or not. How do you know they "didn't even need done"? Did they explain why it needed them?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
My horror story is simply this: I bought a CPO w/52,000 miles and paid to extend the 12/100,000 to 24/100,000 which cost over $2000. So far, I had the squeaky steering wheel fixed which included a 4-wheel alignment. I don't know what that would have cost but they had the car most of the day (labor @ $92/hour adds up pretty quickly).

I have been using oil (confirmed as burning, no leaks) and I am in "watch mode" on that. Now my COMAND is acting up and I think they will replace that this week; I have an appointment tomorrow for an evaluation. In short, I am close to getting my money back.

I have been invited by the service manager to walk back to the shop and watch the tech do certain things. I think benz rider had an unfortunate experience, but there have been a lot of other reports on here similar to his. My analysis is that it depends largely on the individual dealer. I am happy with mine (by the way I bought the car from them), and so is Bogie. So far, that is 2:1 and we'll have to see how the "votes" fall on this.
With your car eating so much oil, doesn't that point to the rings, etc, "the internals" of the engine? Ask very nicely if the dealership will replace the engine. I am sure they won't have a problem since MB eventyually will pay for the engine and reimburse the dealership for labor. The whole time you can put miles on a loaner. I have put about 8500 miles since the last oil change was performed by the previous owner and my oil level is the same. I have not had to add a drop! I'll be changing my oil soon.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Designo_E320

Always ask for old parts back even if it an indy. Chunk them in the trash can when you get home.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
With your car eating so much oil, doesn't that point to the rings, etc, "the internals" of the engine? Ask very nicely if the dealership will replace the engine. I am sure they won't have a problem since MB eventyually will pay for the engine and reimburse the dealership for labor. The whole time you can put miles on a loaner. I have put about 8500 miles since the last oil change was performed by the previous owner and my oil level is the same. I have not had to add a drop! I'll be changing my oil soon.
It works a little differently. After the dealer ships the engine off to MB, the factory disassembles the block and starts mic'g. If the engine is within spec the dealer gets stiffed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Designo_E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
It works a little differently. After the dealer ships the engine off to MB, the factory disassembles the block and starts mic'g. If the engine is within spec the dealer gets stiffed.
WOW, didn't know that!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
exactly.

but we have dtb's that we have to follow in order to determine if the engine is burning oil or the amount consumed in considered normal. once all tests are done, TAC is called and authorization is given to replace the engine. you cant just replace it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
Hi Designo_E320,

It looks like the other guys answered you before I read your post. The service manager explained to me that in the past, dealers were allowed to replace oil consuming engines "at the drop of a hat" and MB had to put a stop to that.

Also, I agree with you that I might have bad oil control rings, and if so, probably scored cylinder walls. However I was advised by one of the dealer techs to drive the car harder than I had been, and it is not using as much oil. I have driven 1000 miles since my last oil change, and so far, so good. You'd better believe I'm keeping a close eye on the situation, and have 12 months and/or 37,000 miles left on my CPO warranty.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in