post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: Hopes & Dreams
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Somewhat OT, any one in the know about body shops

Ok, here's my question, I have some paint I got from a dealership, it's 'authentic paint' and I was wondering if there is any way to get this paint into a spray can. I'm not too familiar with body shops/paint shops or how they operate so I don't know if this would be an impossible request. Also, do/would they match paint codes and can they mix paint for you at whatever fee they may charge?

I'm repainting a model car, and I need to get the stuff into a spray can, I'd rather avoid getting an airbrush. Also, does any one know offhand, is places like Autozone or any autoparts store carries clearcoat in a spray can?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
AutoZone no. I don't know where you are in the world, so I don't know what auto parts stores are near you. Some Napa Auto Parts stores sell paint, and some of those have a machine that can take the mixed paint and compress it into a spray can. You go in with the "color code", they mix it, then put it in a spray can. I'd call around first to a few Napas and see if they have the aerosol can equipment - if not, ask them who does. Small towns will probably not have the equipment.

- Brian

1989 500SEL ECE
1966 Mercedes 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: Hopes & Dreams
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
awesome man, thanks for the tip. Hopefully they can compress the paint I already have into a spray can, will post back with results!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
There really isn't such a thing as authentic paint. Other than touch up bottles the factory is not in the paint business. If your paint is "correct" that means it's urethane base coat. Urethane base coat can be put in a spray can because it does not need to be catalyzed. But it does need to be clearcoated and that clearcoat must be catalyzed. It is not possible to put a catalyst in a spray can so your clearcoat would have to be sprayed in some other way. By the time you get the clear, reducer and catalyst, even in small quantities, you're looking at close to $100 for most systems. And then of course there's the safety concerns - all catalysts contain isocyanates which can kill you if you don't use the proper respirator.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Just for your information, there are online auto paint companies like: Paint for Cars, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint for your Auto

But since you have your paint, this may not help you.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: