MB is rear wheel drive!!!!! - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by benz rider
all my muscle car buddies treated euro cars like tinker toys aka JUNK....lol...but I've been able to convince a few that benz is a solid vehicle, IF you take the time to get to know them.....

newbie benz rider.

What do your muscle car buddies think a muscle car is?

Fastest 2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Kleeman Videos Movies - DragTimes.com
Sponsored Links
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
So following the change in topic. From what I noticed, limited slip differentials seized to exist in computer era, when it is much easier to write a program, that is using ABS system to apply brake on spinning wheel.
I've never seen strictly technical description,but generally 4WD has no central differential and can't be used on dry pavement, while AWD is for street vehicles.
Actually no. Limited slip differentials are still in use today. In fact Subaru uses a limited slip rear differential in most of its AWD 2008 line up along with ESP (electronic stability control). In fact if you buy a manual Subaru Impreza WRX STI you get no less than three limited slip differentials, a helical-type limited-slip front differential and a Torsen limited-slip rear differential and finally one for the middle to manage power between each end.
Audi use a Torsen limited slip differential in the middle of most of their cars, the left/right traction is usually controlled by electronics however but there are examples in which they have also put a limited slip in the rear.
FWD cars like the 2007 Honda Civic SI use a limited slip diff up front along with traction control and ESP.
Acura's SH-AWD is an advanced electronically controlled limited slip differential. It uses electromagnetic clutches to shift power left to right in the rear AND front to back all in one single diff unit that sits in the rear of the car.

Using computers to control clutch packs like Acura does here and Subaru does with the center diff in their automatics is about as close as you can get to eliminating the need for none electronic limited slip diffs. But its expensive and until it gets cheaper manufacturers will just use the none electronic ones especially between the axles and let the electronics handle traction control and stability instead.

The difference between 4WD and AWD is exactly as someone pointed out, you can lock 4WD into 2WD mode. AWD's do not normally have this option, however Subaru's AWD automatic transmission can be made into 2wd for emergency situations by inserting a fuse in the engine bay (its in the owners manual in the change tire section). This is not written in stone however, there is a blurring of the definitions. Like I explained with the Subaru you can have an AWD that behaves like a 4WD and you can have a 4WD that behaves like an AWD. Also manufactures like Honda will sell both types in their model line ups.

Hope this helps...
Oh and here's another little trivia, high end manufacturers still use single stage paint too Lexus uses it on their Obsidian Black paint on their cars including the LS. So limited slip diffs and Single stage paint, both old technologies, are being used today thanks to stronger modern materials and chemicals being used to make them.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
You do know that just about anycar will shift it's weight to the back when taking off much in the same way that it throws you back in your seat when you hit the gas, it's physics.
of course. I was just almost certain to hear the front wheels spin on the benz, but they never did so I never paid it any mind until I was caught in a rainstorm and juiced it to make a short turn and the tail end spun....lol...it was exciting to realize it. I never thought MB would even care to put a RWD on a small benz. it actually helps the value.
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
What do your muscle car buddies think a muscle car is?

Fastest 2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Kleeman Videos Movies - DragTimes.com

I've read on the E55....very fast. muscle car...lol
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Kaj, you started all of this!

I'm not convinced on the AWD vs 4wd. Aren't they two totally different configurations, whether you have the option to switch to 2WD or not, and whether you can lock the differential or not? AWD uses a transaxle and have a standard differential in the rear. 4WD routes power to a center transfer case and then to separate forward and rear differentials. Isn't this correct? I'm pretty sure the MLs 4WD and not AWD (atleast, as I understand the terms). 4WD has advantages over AWD on poor friction surfaces. It balances the weight better during wheel slippage.

I love it when nerds talk dirty...

Last edited by Bogie; 07-09-2007 at 08:38 AM.
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Even our Smart is rear wheel - the B though is front ......
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have to admit I'm used to a broader interpretation and have considered AWD and 4WD the same, on a 4 wheel car all wheels drive. But wiki seems to follow points by Kajtek and Yal.
Four-wheel drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt this is the only definition but interpret this as the main things being: manual activation on the 4WD (when not engaded, it operates as a 2WD) and no centre differential. AWD would not have the option to disengage one of the axles, making the car a 2WD. The AWD may have a centre differential lock, which makes it a 4WD when the centre differential is locked. Confusing to me at least if an AWD can become a 4WD, depending if the centre differential is locked or not.

In practise differential locks can exist on all of the three differentials in very different forms, where the ABS based one is basically only SW on a car that already has ABS brakes.

I hope I will still be accepted using 4WD for any car that isn't two wheel driven. Or should I just talk about 4-matic, I'm not too interested about other forms anyway :-)
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
A 4WD system has a transfer case. With it, you select either 2WD, 4WD Hi (for street driving) or 4WD Lo (for crawling off road). An AWD system uses a center differential to transfer power front and rear and is not typically selectable.

But in any event, a transfer case or a center diff just distributes power to the front and rear axles. From there, your differentials do the work. With standard open diffs, you effectively have just one wheel up front and one wheel in back providing drive. To have true 4WD, you need locking differentials. When locked, the diffs put drive to all 4 tires equally, so even if you have a wheel in the air, the other will turn. With limited slip diffs, you get a similar power distribution, but they will "slip" enough to allow you to turn. Locked differentials will only allow you to go straight ahead! So, in a true off road vehicle, you can have either air or cable actuated locking differentials, allowing you to lock and unlock the diffs as the terrain requires.

2006 E320 CDI
2010 Ford Escape Hybrid
2003 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4
1965 Austin Healey 3000
1958 Austin Healey Sprite
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2005
Let's just call the ML A4WD.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talking Not in reverse!

On some days I just back up all day long.

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: