post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrymanau
Could one of the reasons that we don't have the latest diesels be that Australian diesel fuel can't handle them? I thought I read this somewhere, but I could be wrong.
Do you know the sulphur content on the Australian diesel fuel? The new engines need low sulphur diesel but that has been available for many many years in Europe, the only option in my country for quite many years, now been the only available quality in the US for some time (I believe), I have difficulties believing Australia would not have low sulphur diesel available (if not the only option).

I don't expect MB either making a modified version of the V6 CDI that would accept high sulphur diesel, but I could be wrong. If they did, I could understand they would not want to provide several models with this option.

Perhaps it is just that diesels are not that common in Australia and then MB provides a limited number of diesel models, like in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Do you know the sulphur content on the Australian diesel fuel?.
DB, this from a local post. It jogged my memory.

<<One very important point to remember about these U.S. studies is that Australian diesel is 'dirtier' than many other developed countries due to the high sulphur content. It's that sulphur content in diesel fuel that determines the particulate concentrations in the emissions. The sulphur content in Australian diesel currently stands at 500ppm. Particulate traps and catalytic converters are extremely inefficient at anything much above 10ppm. According to an oil industry spokesperson, the technology for reducing the sulphur content in Australian diesel fuel is already available. However, industry claims that it will add substantially to the price of diesel, which was the same argument used overseas and failed to impress anyone. >>
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Quote:
However, industry claims that it will add substantially to the price of diesel, which was the same argument used overseas and failed to impress anyone. >>
We had the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel coming on our California market over a year ago. In last year the diesel prices, that used be higher than premium dropped well below regular prices.
Who is fooling who?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
We had the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel coming on our California market over a year ago. In last year the diesel prices, that used be higher than premium dropped well below regular prices.
Who is fooling who?
I believe that Ultra-Low became progressively available in Australia from last year.

Diesel prices at the pump have tended to be higher than premium ULP, although I have noticed very recently that they've been slightly lower. So this would support your California experience.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I believe that the EPA standard for ULSD is 15ppm. The Ultra-Low available in Australia is 50ppm. So the E320 Bluetec still wouldn't be feasible here?

I'm not very well up in Diesel so stand to be corrected.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I'm not familiar with different variations of the V6CDI but I believe our sulphur content is nominally 5ppm, 15ppm likely then acceptable for a car with particulate filter. However, the CDI engine is available without the particulate filter too, without option code 474 (not an accessory that a customer normally can choose but more like market dependent). I believe 474 would set the highest requirements for sulphur but the 500ppm level would not be acceptable for the V6CDI even without the particulate filter. 50 ppm might be.

I believe there was a thread with accurate info on the acceptable sulphur for the I6CDI and other models, at about the time the Bluetec (our E320CDI with particulate filter) entered the US market.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
DB, many thanks. I'll hunt that thread out.

Kind regards
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I called in to my local BP service station this morning. 10 ppm has recently been introduced. Before that it was 50 ppm, and 500 before that.

So, now I need to find out when the E320 CDI Bluetec will be available here.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
DB, I received this from MB Australia in response to my query.

<<Thank you for your enquiry. The E 320 CDI Bluetec is not going to be available in Australia, as these engines were specifically designed for the US market where emissions regulations are more strict. All of our diesels available here in Australia meet Euro4 standards which is the requirement.>>

Looks as if the E 280 CDI is my option!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
DB, I received this from MB Australia in response to my query.

<<Thank you for your enquiry. The E 320 CDI Bluetec is not going to be available in Australia, as these engines were specifically designed for the US market where emissions regulations are more strict. All of our diesels available here in Australia meet Euro4 standards which is the requirement.>>

Looks as if the E 280 CDI is my option!
Other forum members would know the exact difference between the US E320 Bluetec and the European E320CDI (with particulate filter), my understanding is that those cars have the exact same engine.

On the W211 series, as far as I know, there are two different E320 CDI RWD sedan models. 211.026 with the I6 engine (642.920). 211.022 has got the 642.920 engine which is a V6. The catalyst for this car/engine has a few different options, looks like there is a US option with "427+474+494" and another one with "427+474+U43". On the latter, U43 refers to "diesel bluetec gas cleaning" but the catalyst (which includes the particulate filter) is the same part number on both of these. The Euro part number is different from these, even for the Euro model which does include the particulate filter. Would be interesting to know what this difference actually means and are there other Bluetec differences.

Coming back to the Australian market, I don't see why you would even want to have the Bluetec one, why not the European E320CDI which does fulfill Euro emission requirements and must fulfill those at Australia (I assume). I still do not believe emission requirements being the reason for your limited range of diesel models. Perhaps someone has some inside info on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in