LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question A/C problem---mechanic runaround

Maybe someone can help. My girlfriend's c240 is blowing cold on ONE SIDE only (passenger). She took it to MB. They told her that it's the compressor seals (2x) and also the drier. Whenever I hear 2 things causing 1 problem, 99% of the time that's standard dealership b.s. He went on to say that because the refrigerant had leaked, it was only cooling one side. While that makes sense to me, what doesn't sound right is the fact that it's the PASSENGER side that's cool, not the driver. Wouldn't the opposite make more sense? Also, why would the drier be bad just because some of the refrigerant had leaked out? I've charged my own systems 10 times, on 10 different cars over the past 10 years. I've never heard of a drier "breaking".

Any help? Why would this thing blow cold on one side (psngr) only?

Last edited by torani; 06-25-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Likely she got a good load of BS because she is a female and asumed not to know better than to pickup tab for expensive repair.

You did check for obvious things like driver side vents being closed ?

There also system of gates that directs airflow in climat control system to different vents - likely one of these gates is stuck and blocking air from going to driver side.

Kirill
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Cold passenger side, warm driver's side is typical of a low refrigerant charge. Might also hear a hissing from the center vents. I'd add a can of R134 and see if that fixes it.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2007
(Thread Starter)
Okay, that sounds resonable. She was in an accident that damaged the condensor. The repair shop did a bad job replacing the condensor; and apparently, it leaks. The MB dealership said that the parts were not OE and therefore, don't seal?? I don't see why that would be. They say the "Compressor seals" must be replaced (quite expensive). Well, we'll let the insurance take care of it as they should have in the first place. In the meantime, I'll add some regfrigerant.

What about the drier? Can anyone think of ANY reason why the drier would be bad?? I have to suspect they just want to add something else to the bill. Sort of like when you bring your car in because it's running rough (old days). It turns out to be the timing; but, the mechanic tells you it's the timing, the plugs, the wires and also the distributor. They are a business. There are bonuses for bringing in a big month. If you add one b.s. item to each repair, that adds up big time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
To my knowledge those cars have only one coil, so can't imagine low refrigerant, or bad AC system costing that.
More likely the comfort center is having some problems and is mixing hot air.
Than, I assume you know the procedure for self-diagnosis on those systems?
I printed it from this forum .Do the search.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
There is only one compressor in the system. If the system is leaking or compressor is failing, both side will be warm. Below is the W211 two zone system airflow diagram. You can see that there is only 1 evaporator in the system. There are 2 sensors and 2 airflow motor. Likely one or the other is not working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB-HVAC.JPG (75.6 KB, 478 views)

Last edited by CalifSLK; 06-25-2007 at 11:46 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
I don't know what went wrong with the image. Here is another try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB-HVAC.JPG (105.9 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by CalifSLK; 06-26-2007 at 12:53 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:34 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Sorry, I couldn't get a displayable image posted. In any case, like Kajtek1 and Kirill had said, there is only one compressor, evaporator; they cannot be the cause as long as you get cold air on one side.

Likely causes are the left and right flaps or the hot/cold blend flap.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

The Acrobat copyright function is preventing display by a browser. So I took a picture. You can see how the hot, cold air is routed to the different outlets.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiesh
I’ve got the same problem. I’ll be doing Mercedes Benz AC Compressor replacement as soon as the item arrives. And I’ll be adding refrigerant as well. Guys, do you think that would be just enough? Or need more actions? Are there any other parts affected by such problem?
A failed compressor can leave garbage down stream. So make sure everything is squeaky clean before they put it back together. If the the car is a few years old, replacing the dryer/accumulator is a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in