Lexus $100,000 500-hp V10 supercar coming soon - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1995 s500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
will it be able to compete as fas as handling & driving experience?? I'm not so sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimaster1
will it be able to compete as fas as handling & driving experience?? I'm not so sure.
What you said. I'm not sure if people are ready to shell out $100k for a Lexus super car. We're not sure how well they can do with handling and performance. We haven't seen any model from them that can handle as well as their German counterparts. Maybe they're going to surprise us, who knows?

I think in order for people to take the LF-A seriously, the IS-F will have to do spectacular to show that Lexus really can build a fast, well handling car.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
What you said. I'm not sure if people are ready to shell out $100k for a Lexus super car. We're not sure how well they can do with handling and performance. We haven't seen any model from them that can handle as well as their German counterparts. Maybe they're going to surprise us, who knows?

I think in order for people to take the LF-A seriously, the IS-F will have to do spectacular to show that Lexus really can build a fast, well handling car.
People are just unaware that Toyota/Lexus can build a very good sports car.

If you look down their history, there was the 2000GT which was phenomenal back in the day and still is.

Then there was the original RWD Celica GT which was built to compete with Nissan's hotcake Datsun.

Next came the ever so famous Supra which carried through the mid 1990s and is considered Toyota's greatest work, next to the Sprinter Trueno/Corolla Levin, which is popular because of its lightweight RWD setup in which many cars in its class were FWD. Today, you have can't find a Twin-Turbo 1990s Supra for less than $30k second hand.

The original Lexus SC was a Supra in a tuxedo with a Straight-6 NA like in the Supra except the Supra was FI, and a 4.0 liter V8 pushing out 275ish bhp.

Then there was the Toyota MR2.

Toyota also built a really good LeMan car, the GT-One that led a few victories.

I know I'm mainly talking about Toyota...but it's the parent company of Lexus. Either way, they can make a sports car and they know how to...just like many people think of Honda as an economy car maker when they forgot that they made cars like the class leading NSX and cars like the Integra Type-R which is dubbed the best FWD chassis and handling car ever, and the S2000.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In my humble opinion:

The NSX was a sports car. The S2000 too. The Supra? Puuuuleeez. You've GOT to be kidding. I believe people clamor for the fourth gen Supra for the same reason they do GNX’s – they’re extremely fast in a straight line.

Supras are GTs. As a GT, it's a fine car, but they don’t come close to handling as well as German sports cars – IE Porsches. In fact, Supras don’t handle as well as CLKs. Supras push like a semi. The original Lexus SC was heavier, slower, AND handled poorly. The Celica? It wasn’t even a pretend sports car. What was it that Toyota called their Celica? A “GT”. The MR2 was a sports car, but that was the last one Toyota built in at least almost 40 years.

I don’t want to speak badly about the GT-One, but do you know the history of that car? Wasn’t it originally built for the FIA GT series? What happened the first year Mercedes-Benz joined the FIA GT? The Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR won the championship. What happened the second year Mercedes-Benz participated? The Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR won the championship. What happened in year three? Every other competitor including Toyota quit because they publicly stated they couldn’t compete with the CLK-GTR. That's why the series folded.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:22 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '79 450 SLC
Send a message via MSN to B-McD
Well if it's just in the $100K range it's not a supercar, or a very cheap one. And the celica GT4 was just a turbo 4WD to make homlogation for rallying.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
In my humble opinion:

The NSX was a sports car. The S2000 too. The Supra? Puuuuleeez. You've GOT to be kidding. I believe people clamor for the fourth gen Supra for the same reason they do GNX’s – they’re extremely fast in a straight line.

Supras are GTs. As a GT, it's a fine car, but they don’t come close to handling as well as German sports cars – IE Porsches. In fact, Supras don’t handle as well as CLKs. Supras push like a semi. The original Lexus SC was heavier, slower, AND handled poorly. The Celica? It wasn’t even a pretend sports car. What was it that Toyota called their Celica? A “GT”. The MR2 was a sports car, but that was the last one Toyota built in at least almost 40 years.

I don’t want to speak badly about the GT-One, but do you know the history of that car? Wasn’t it originally built for the FIA GT series? What happened the first year Mercedes-Benz joined the FIA GT? The Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR won the championship. What happened the second year Mercedes-Benz participated? The Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR won the championship. What happened in year three? Every other competitor including Toyota quit because they publicly stated they couldn’t compete with the CLK-GTR. That's why the series folded.

The latest SUPRA before they stopped making it actually outhandles a ferrari.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busoptr
any ferrari? did you actually test drive them?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busoptr

The "latest Supra"? Really? You must mean one that no independent handling specs are listed on because they stopped importing them. You couldn't mean the 3600 pound - U.S. spec - fourth generation. THAT car out handles a Ferrari? Well, we might have to agree to disagree – unless we can agree what "out handles" actually means, which Supra you're actually talking about, and exactly which Ferrari you mean.

Using the slalom speeds recorded by Road and Track, on a standard 8 cone slalom (eight cones placed 100' apart) the 1994 Mk IV Supra recorded a radar gun verified 66.1 MPH. Do you really want me to print the numbers for the entry level Ferrari, the F430? I'll give you some hints – the current Mercedes Benz C350 is faster at 66.4 MPH (June 2006 Road and Track), as was the 1998 SLK230 at 67.3 (Motor Trend December 1998 – Long Term Wrap Up issue). Those two Mercedes are obviously slower in acceleration than the Supra. Where do you think they made up the difference? "Handling". If you're familiar with slaloms and think I'm playing games with the cones, look up the Cartech specs for a 1993 Supra on a 700' slalom - 61.6 MPH. Compare that against the March 1999 Road and Track Road Test edition that showed the SLK230 at 64.1 MPH in a 700' slalom.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1995 s500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
People are just unaware that Toyota/Lexus can build a very good sports car.

Ok...

But will people be willing to spend over 100k on this one?
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirona
any ferrari? did you actually test drive them?
Hi, I am looking for some info for my CLK AMG and was reading on some of your guys funny post

you really think just because its a ferrari (any)that it cant be beat? wow what a mind set, lol

I have an Evo8 also, and it'll kill my AMG....the other day I have already beating the new M5 on track
Video - evo vs lambo

anyways here video of what a super can do
Video - Supra movie I've put together. Hope you like it. Enjoy!

and if you used the seach you can find super running track times

Last edited by redteam22003; 06-24-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in