Evaporator Temperature sensor - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

the black box im pointing to is the heater housing. the heater housing is a huge black box which contains the evaporator, heater core, blower motor assembly and has all the vacuum motors attached to it for the blend doors. it goes behind the dash across the whole dash.

now look at the red arrow on the left, the evap sensor should be up there in that area. it is sticking into the heater housing so do look for the whole sensor as its not visible, look for a wire harness going into the heater housing. you will only see the end of the sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

this is all you will see of the evap sensor (where i circled) cause the end sticks into the housing
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!! That little bit of info would have helped a moron like myself about 48 hours ago.

Ok, so swapped it out and the evaporator temp went to normal but it was still not cold....just slightly cool.
Freon level fluctuated between 9 & 10
I continued to charge the system with gas noting that when you constantly shake the bottle, it comes out much faster.
Level now registers at 14 and the beads of sweat that once rolled down my nose now form small icicles.

SUCCESS!!!!
Streetglower, I appreciate you sticking with me on this very tedious issue. Happy dads day if it applies!!!

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

your welcome and no, not a daddy yet.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Well you got time. I would also like to fomally apologize to my son as I found the camera cable behind my comp.

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thrill, using the picture you posted in post #25, please use MS paint to point an arrow to where you found the sensor. Thanks
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

This was shot looking straight up and is what you would see laying on your back.

For orientation:
The yellow circle is the top of the accel. pedal arm.

The red circle is the part in question.

Once I knew that the prong end went inside it took 3 seconds to locate and 30 seconds to change.

From WIS I found out that the new replacement part is coated and should resist moisture damage, apparently the leading cause of failure. Be aware that the new part also looks somewhat different than the original.

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Thanks. When you get a chance, I'd like to know what temperature you're seeing at the evaporator temperature sensor (#5) when you first start the car, in comparison to the in car temperature sensor (#1). I'm looking for the temperature after the car has been sitting parked in the sun for awhile - but before the AC is turned on.

My car will be parked outdoors tomorrow. I'll post my temperatures tomorrow night. I'm trying to determine what "normal" is.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

After sitting outdoors all day yesterday. My in car temperature sensor read 130, while the evaporator temperature sensor read 105. With the AC on, the evaporator temperature sensor dropped down to the high 30's, but the in car temperature sensor took forever to drop below 80 - much later than when I thought it was below 80.

I'm going to find the in car temperature sensor and test it against what the infrared pyrometer says. Anyone know where the in car temperature sensor is located?

My sevice writer is going to love this. "See that sensor? It reads 10 degrees hotter than the pyrometer. That's another CPO warrantee replacement, right . . . ."

Last edited by MarcusF; 06-19-2007 at 12:55 PM.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
My car sat in the garage overnight. All temps were very close in the high 60's with about a 3 digit fluctuation.
What I found odd was the wild fluctuation of the refrigerant level. At startup, it registered 14, same as when I refilled it. I checked it on the highway at 80 mph and it registered 9. Being the alarmist, I assumed I had a leak. When I got to my destination and let the car sit for about an hour in the sun, all temps remained in the high 60's but refrigerant level jumped to 17. On the way home, I deduced that the fluctuations were caused by speed(or by the workload you were demanding from the car). The more I pushed it the lower the number would go and vise versa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in