Evaporator Temperature sensor - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I believe it is for a W210(see large numbers) The W208 shares many parts with the Eclass. My cabin filter also was for a W210.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
lets start from the beginning because you have me confused and yourself confused.

what exactly is the problem with the car?

second pull the sensor out of the bag so I can see the sensor
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
OK.

The compressor is working as I can hear it engage and the EC light is off. It is however blowing air relative to the temperature of the engine.
Through diagnostics I was able to determine that freon was slightly low and that it was registering evaporator temperatures of anywhere between 125 and 140F, an impossibility. I also pulled up codes 241 (Refrigerant Low) and 227 (Outside Temperature Sensor Malfunction).
I added as much freon as possible (in 6 minutes only 1/2 can could be dispensed) This made the low refrigerant code disappear however it still registers as only 25 psi on the guage.

sorry for the horrible phone pictures.

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

well i am not one to diagnosis codes through the control panel i prefer star diagnosis

anyway now that we have determined that you indeed have a new evap sensor, you need to install it. again start by removing the driver underdash panel. once that is done, look at the accelerator pedal and then look up to the right. you should see the evap sensor sticking into the heater housing. again the heater housing is what houses the evaporator and heater core. it sits behind the dash. if your confused about this, take a pic under the dash and I will guide you too it.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Truly appreciate your help.

Again I apologize for the pics. My kid still hasn't located my camera cable. I'm waiting till tomorrow to kill him as doing the dirty deed today would cast me in an unfavorable light.

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I still think this sensor is located on the outside of the car. Why would it be inside if it's purpose was to detect outside temperatures?

ie:
Your evaporator temperature sensor appears to be malfunctioning. Usually a bad evaporator temperature sensor is indicated by code B1230. Your car does not indicate this code. However, a bad evaporator sensor does not always trigger the code. The sensor reports a temperature of 129 degrees. The outside air is only 68 degrees. It's impossible for your evaporator temperature to be that much warmer than the ambient air. When the evaporator temp sensor reports a value like this (and nothing else is out of spec), your A/C should run for 10 minutes after starting the car and then automatically switch off. It does this is to protect the evaporator from freeze damage. The climate control system carefully regulates the evaporator temperature to make sure it does not drop below 33 degrees. If the temperature drops below 33, the moisture in the air may freeze and damage the evaporator. When the temperature sensor stops working correctly, the climate control system cannot tell whether the evaporator is too cold. It then shuts off to protect the system.'
Code B1227 Explanation: This sensor measures the temperature outside your car. It is reporting an implausible temperature

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
FWIW

I also did a visual inspection of the compressor and it is indeed engaging and disengaging by pressing the EC button so I don't think it's the compressor. Furthermore I disassembled the duo-valve and it seems to be clean and in great condition.

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
This from TresX on another forum:

AHA!!!! THERE YOU GO!!! There's the problem. Your evap. temp sensor is reading 126 degrees!!!! Unless it's REALLY hot where you are, it is BAD The value for #5 should be ambient temperature OR a temperature SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than ambient temp. when the AC is on. In fact, if you check the car in the morning (before you turn it on), the value for #2 should be the same as #5. #2 is outside air temperature value. If they aren't the same, and 2 seems right and 5 is WAY off.....Go to the stealership...get yourself an evaporator temperature sensor and swap it out. It is located under the driver footwell along the firewall. You won't be able to see it without a flash-light and will still be a little hard for you to find when you do have one. (the replacement part is slightly different looking from the original.

I assumed he meant the outside of the car as you cannot see the firewall from the inside.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

ok you are still mixing up the evap sensor and the ambient temp sensor. the evap sensor is located next to the evaporator (hense called evap temp sensor), its purpose is to measure the temp at the evaporator and report it to the aac control panel. basically like mentioned above, if the temp at the evaporator gets too low, it will cut of the ac as to prevent damage to the evaporator.

now the ambient temp sensor reports the outside air temp to the aac control panel.

so if the evap sensor is responsible for measuring the evap temp, why would it be on the outside of the vehicle????

now the evap sensor is NOT located on the outside of the car. i have replaced many of these before, I am a Benz tech, the evap sensor is the same on all MB models and is in the same place, sticking into the heater housing where it measures the evap temp.

now look up to the right into the heater housing, you should see it sticking into the housing. if this si still an issue, let me know
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Could you please draw an arrow on my picture? I don't know a heater housing from low income housing and I swear I've been out to the garage 36 times with a very bright work light and I cannot see it or anything that remotely looks like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in