LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Newbie Needs Buying Advice!

A couple of questions for all of you experienced MB buyers out there!

Am looking at purchasing an '03 c230 coupe. Asking price is $18K with only 32K miles and is CPO. Good Carfax report, only one previous owner. I really do want this car as it is a good price. Dealer however is out of town so I am negotiating from about 150 miles away.

1)I have read that I should still negotiate the price down further. One thread said to even ask for 25% less than asking price including the extra CPO warranty. What target price should I be looking at? At 25% off of asking price is roughly $13.5K and if I add in the extra warranty it would bring it up to $20K or $15K. Is this what I should bring to the table or is that lowballing a little too much.

2) Do I have to purchase the CPO extended warranty when I purchase the car? Does the warranty extend to all MB dealerships?

3) If purchasing from an out of town dealer, does that leave me at a disadvantage re; loaners and service? Or does it matter?

4) What is the best way to deal with an out of town dealer? I have not found any local dealer with a coupe that is CPO. I don't mind the drive, but I want to make sure it is worth it and I want to make this as simple as possible without any back and forth driving.

I know this post is long, but thanks SO much for any help you guys can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
3) It may, depending on your local dealer's policies. Some companies only give out loaners to people who bought from them, others are more liberal.

4) I'd be willing to pay a little more (if I had to) and buy locally. That way I wouldn't have to deal with the aggravation of a "long-distance relationship".

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl
A couple of questions for all of you experienced MB buyers out there!

Asking price is $18K with only 32K miles and is CPO. .

1) What target price should I be looking at?

2) Do I have to purchase the CPO extended warranty when I purchase the car? Does the warranty extend to all MB dealerships?

3) If purchasing from an out of town dealer, does that leave me at a disadvantage re; loaners and service? Or does it matter?

4) What is the best way to deal with an out of town dealer?
At $18k your dealer valued the car at $16K plus $2K CPO certificate. I checked Auto trader here in So Cal and found a couple within that mileage at $16-$17K range non-CPO. So, I think you can't negotiate the price down that much.

1) Check your local Auto Trader and/or other used car outlet and you can sense what is a reasonable price. To give you an idea of price range, there's one listed for $10K with 91k miles. (I would buy this one and buy a $5K Corolla as back up vehicle, just my .02)

2) Usually the original manufacturer's warranty on CPO's are not yet expired. It is good to buy extended warranty if you plan to own it beyond the original warranty period. Also, note that option to buy extended warranty, after the original warranty expired, may not be available. And, yes MB warranty is accepted/honored by all MB dealers.

3) Purchase of a car from any MB dealer does not guaranty a loaner nor good service.

4) Don't. Unless you have the time and patients.

Good luck!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
1) At $20K, you may want to check the availability of a C230 sedan. I believe the C230 coupes should be less, but it depends on condition and regional desireability. For example, there are two 2003 CPO C230 coupes listed in my area - one at $18.5K (Encino) and the other at $27K (Downtown LA Motors). MB USA shows 17 2003 C230 sedans listed. Excluding the C32's, the least expensive is $19K (67K miles) and the most expensive at $28K (32K miles). For $28K, I'd buy new, but I'd take any of the $22K, mid 30K-mileage sedans over a $20K coupe.

2) The CPO extended warranty must be purchased at the time the car is purchased. With mine, I was told I could not come back the next day and ask to buy it. The warrantee is nationwide, no deductable, and covered by every US MB dealership.

3) At my local dealer, they will give a loaner to any CPO owner if the service is scheduled and takes longer than 2 hours. If the service is unscheduled and takes longer than 2 hours, it depends on the availability of loaners. I did not buy my car at my local dealer and have received a loaner on unscheduled service. The only disadvantage to buying somewhere else that I've found is my local dealer will not wash the car for free every week.

4) I would (and have) use the MBUSA CPO search facility. A CPO car coming back off lease should look like a new car. In my case; new brakes, new tires, current service, full service history, two keys, no dings/scratches/discolorations either inside or out, and all the books (owner's documentation & service manual).

IHTH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replys. I definitely cannot find a sedan for that price with that low mileage. Have done exhaustive searches and this seemed to be the best deal. I actually prefer the coupe for the hatchback space (work related needs).

So the only real disadvantage of buying out of town besides the distance is not getting your car washed? I think I can handle that. The dealer is approximately 140 miles away. Not too far, but not too close either. I just wanted to make sure that if I bought from him, I can still go to a local dealer for warranty purposes and such.

I used the CPO search and that is how I found it. I do wish there was a local dealer that had as good a deal, but unfortunately there is not as I would rather have a CPO than to purchase without that backing.

So Marcus, would you recommend an out of town dealer if the price was right? Since you have that experience.

I plan on purchasing the 2 year extended warranty since the mileage is so low. I also plan on keeping the vehicle for as long as possible.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think you're on the right track. Spend a couple of hours and save several thousand. It's exactly what I did. I hope it goes well for you. Lastly, ask the dealer to pay for your first year's membership in the Mercedes-Benz Club of America!

Last edited by MarcusF; 06-13-2007 at 08:01 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Marcus! You have helped a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in