Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

JD Power 2007 IQS: Mercedes up 20 spots to #5

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  bgoin 
#1 · (Edited)
Some people have been telling me that Mercedes' quality has improved a great deal for 2007.

Well, the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, released today for 2007 models, supports this assertion. Mercedes moved all the way from #25 last year to #5 this year.

Article on CNN: Ford gets 5 top quality awards - CNN.com

Quote from this article:

Mercedes-Benz has not done well in J.D. Power surveys in the past but jumped 20 places in the rankings this year to finish fifth.

"All Mercedes-Benz models in the study improved substantially," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis for J.D. Power, in the announcement, "and the breadth and speed of these improvements demonstrates the Mercedes-Benz commitment to quality."

They also stress that Ford did well. Ford models have also been doing very well in TrueDelta's vehicle reliability research.

Be aware that the IQS includes two types of defects: design defects that cannot be repaired and manufacturing defects that can. Also, the differences have become quite small. Most brands are within a third of a problem per car of one another. The difference between #5 Mercedes and #21 BMW is about 0.2 problems per car.

My full take on the 2007 IQS:

JD Power's 2007 IQS: tightest spread yet

See less See more
#2 ·
mkaresh said:
Well, the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, released today for 2007 models, supports this assertion. Mercedes moved all the way from #25 last year to #5 this year.

Great news. And they show that Mercedes-Benz showed dramatic improvement in the nameplate rankings, largely on the strength of these best in class winners: the S-Class (which ties for the award with the Audi A8 in the large premium car segment), the E-Class, and the SL-Class. The Mercedes-Benz M-Class was also one of the study’s most improved models year over year.

Wonderful to see the all-new S, the facelifted E and the SL-Class models all winning best in class awards.

In addition, and most remarkable of all, the S-Class had the fewest problems of any car in the industry with 72 problems per 100 cars, beating Lexus for the first time ever, I think.
:D :D :D

#3 · (Edited)
mkaresh said:
Some people have been telling me that Mercedes' quality has improved a great deal for 2007.

Article on CNN: Ford gets 5 top quality awards - CNN.com

Quote from this article:

Mercedes-Benz has not done well in J.D. Power surveys in the past but jumped 20 places in the rankings this year to finish fifth.

"All Mercedes-Benz models in the study improved substantially," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and a
nalysis for J.D. Power, in the announcement, "and the breadth and speed of these improvements demonstrates the Mercedes-Benz commitment to quality."

They also stress that Ford did well. Ford models have also been doing very well in TrueDelta's vehicle reliability research.

Be aware that the IQS includes two types of defects: design defects that cannot be repaired and manufacturing defects that can. My critique based on including two different things in one score:

Critique of J.D. Power's IQS

The design defects portion kills BMW because of iDrive, for example.
Good to know, however many people on this forum think J.D. Power is a joke (I think the reason is that J.D. Power has not had anything very good to say about Mercedes, cars for a long time).

Ranking from the site:

Top ranked vehicles

Subcompact: Kia Rio/Rio5

Compact: Honda Civic

Compact sporty: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Compact premium sporty: Porsche Boxster

Entry Premium: Lincoln MKZ

Midsized premium: Mercedes-Benz E-class

Large premium: Audi A8/Mercedes-Benz S-class

Premium sporty: Mercedes-Benz SL-class

Midsized sporty: Ford Mustang

Midsize: Mercury Milan

Large: Pontiac Grand Prix

Compact SUV: Honda CR-V

Midsize SUV: Toyota 4Runner

Lage SUV: Toyota Sequoia

Midsize Premium SUV: Lexus RX

Large Premium SUV: Lincoln Mark LT

Large pickup: Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD

Midsize pickup: Toyota Tacoma

Van: Chevrolet Express

Source: J.D. Power and Associates

#4 ·
I wonder how most of the gain was achieved. The hard but best way is to improve the product and process engineering. The relatively easy way is a very thorough inspection before the car reaches the customer. The latter is less likely to relate to reliability down the road.

#5 ·
mkaresh said:
I wonder how most of the gain was achieved. The hard but best way is to improve the product and process engineering. The relatively easy way is a very thorough inspection before the car reaches the customer. The latter is less likely to relate to reliability down the road.
Hopefully at this time in history both should be done now, just to make sure and keep the customer happy.

#7 ·
ProV1x said:
LOL, everyone here trashes JDP & Consumer Reports b/c they rate MB so poorly, but as soon as this sorta news breaks out, it gets posted pronto on the front page! :rolleyes:
Well there is something to be said about these reports. I almost bought a used 2003 320E but instead to keep my payment a little lower bought my 2002. I am so glad I didn't buy the first choice. A friend bought it and has HORRIBLE issues! Mine were just minor compared to what he has had. I do think the quality started sucking because of past MB's I have owned that seemed to be far more trouble free. I almost bought a new GS350 Lexus last year and I am so GLAD I didn't as those cars are poor sellers and have their own quality issues, go to the Lexus boards and people will tell you they would prefer to spend money on a new 2007 E class for 5 series BMW that both cars ride much better as far as handling etc.

I made sure to really wait and research before buying a Lexus and I think I made a good choice by not doing so. I have only driven German cars in the last decade so it would be a culture shock for me. I know for sure I am staying with German cars. I will probably get a new MB later this year. I am going to test drive the new BMW 335 Convertible hard top coupe as I heard they were great to drive! They are also so well designed and don't look Japanese from the back end like they did last year before the body change. I know I will stay with MB however. I am one who is glad to hear about the quality improving. IMO MB has for the most part set the standards. Love to hear good news when it comes to quality improving :thumbsup:

#12 ·
It is good to see initial quality up. I tend to be one of the guys that does not place as much value on the JD Powers IQR as I do the long term Consumer Reports ratings. It is one thing to have a car be good "out of the box" and I am very happy that MB has improved their IQR rating but the proof of any quality improvements will come as the 50,000 and 75,000 mile histories start piling up [that is where the Consumer Reports methodology for collecting user data comes in]

From what I have seen in the 07 S and E cars it looks like the long term numbers should improve. I read an interview with one of the MB Product Engineers which showed they had removed over 600 discreet logic processes from the newer cars in an effort to simplify overall car ops. That should help reliablilty in the long run.

#13 ·
mkaresh said:
Has Mercedes or anyone else provided any details about the steps taken by Mercedes (perhaps instigated by Zetsche) to improve their quality?
Removal of unnecessary computer aided logic and other electronic logic routines is a start. I am looking for an online version of the article I read earlier.

#14 ·
About 2 years ago, the MBCA(MB Club of America) interviewed senior execs at MB
and they indicated they were well aware of the quality problem and recognized that it had to be addressed. They said they were going to put a substantially increased emphasis on quality. But no further details.

It does seem like some good things are happening.

Mark

#15 ·
ProV1x said:
LOL, everyone here trashes JDP & Consumer Reports b/c they rate MB so poorly, but as soon as this sorta news breaks out, it gets posted pronto on the front page! :rolleyes:
Yes. Quite right too. There is more joy in heaven over a sinner that repenteth.....

Time to put on the Janice Joplin Record say I: Oh Lord won’t you buy me a Mercedes benz
YouTube - Janis Joplin - Mercedes Benz

There was a more ‘funky’ version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gr1Th9rMXc&mode=related&search=
BUT it has gone due to copyright reasons. Anyone know where it now is.

And there was a FASZINATION VIDEO showing loads of Classic Mercs. Anyone got an up to date link.

Lastly there was a link to Dr Z doing some quite funny ads. Crashing with a doctor in fear etc. Those old links do not work any more. Have they gone for good?
Any help appreciated.
Now back to the thread.

#18 ·
A Wall Street Journal article the other day detailed the changes made to improve the IQS scores. These included working on the brake dust issue and providing new buyers with a much more thorough overview of how to use various controls. The latter partly explains why iDrive kills BMW's scores but similarly complex controls didn't hurt Mercedes this year--the new S-Class did best of all.

Link (sub req'd): Eyes on the Road - WSJ.com

They linked to one of my related blog entries at the bottom, which made me happy :)

#21 ·
There is a solid, short article in the newest Cigar Aficionado which sheds some light on the changes that have been made. The quality of the cars as they age should become truly outstanding, as the management seems to have gone with the "back to the drawing board" approach wherever possible, as opposed to simply using tighter QC measures as the cars roll off the line.

#22 ·
WSJ June 13, 2004 article titled "New-Car Quality Ranking Gives Less Help to Buyers" by Joseph B. White

Basically he stated : "Now, most of the major auto makers have made so much progress that the Power Initial Quality Survey has less to offer the consumer. ... In the meantime, the bigger issue for consumers has become long-term durability. And guess what J.D. Power has a survey for that, due in August."

Let see how Mercedes-Benz scores on that one! Wonder how many years back it will it include for the models?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.