Buying an M-class or C-class around the Boston area - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 05 black-on-black C230 Kompressor Sports Saloon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mike or anyone:

Won't an M-class have higher general maintenance costs than a C-class?

Also, more importantly, what worries me regarding the M-class is the fuel economy. Since I will be driving at least 73 miles a day to and from work, won't the M-class cost me a lot more in fuel costs vs. the C-class?

How many gallons can a w163 M-class hold vs. a w203 C-class?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What sized tank? I don't think the size of the fuel tank has any bearing on fuel economy, but the M has a 25.1 gallon tank and the C has a 16.4.

The ML500 was rated at 14/17 (MPG city/highway), the six cylinder M gets 17/21 while the 4-MATIC C gets 19/26. Or put another way, at $3.30 a gallon, your 73 mile commute will cost you $11.47 in the 320 M, while the C will run you $9.26. Basically the 320 M will cost you $11 more per week. The V8 M will run you $14.17 per trip. Looking at the numbers, the V8 is only $70 per week. Of course, those numbers will go up in the snow.

Since you're comparing two four-wheel-drive vehicles, I'm not sure their's going to be much of a difference in maintenance costs between the V6 M and the C. That is, unless there's a big difference in build quality, but someone else will have to wander down that road. I don't have an M or a C, so I couldn't tell you.

Lastly, opinions are always nice, but the decision is yours. My opinions are influenced by my being an ex-New Yorker who doesn't care for Boston, snow, or trucks. Use my stats, those should be right - my opinions are only right for me. After all, someone has to shovel snow and pull for the Sox.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio Analyst
Mike or anyone:

Won't an M-class have higher general maintenance costs than a C-class?

Also, more importantly, what worries me regarding the M-class is the fuel economy. Since I will be driving at least 73 miles a day to and from work, won't the M-class cost me a lot more in fuel costs vs. the C-class?

How many gallons can a w163 M-class hold vs. a w203 C-class?

I am no expert on the C class. I have never owned one. I would take a look at the forum for that chassis. Maybe even post a question regarding most common problems. Check out Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips - they will have the prices for parts. You will be able to compare the two models. I will say this. I have owned to M-classes. The first was a 98 ML 320. I got almost 160,000 miles out of it before it gave me a major problem. One of the catalytic converters clogged and I had misfires on one bank to cylinders. Outside of normal maintence-no other extra cost. I did my own oil changes so they cost about maybe $60 to $70.

The thing that sold me on the M class was right after I got it, I was taking the family up north for Christmas. We hit a blizzard. It was bad. I mean really bad. Cars, trucks, SUV's in the ditch. I am sure you know the type of weather I am taking about. The w163 did not miss a beat. I had no problems. Both my ML 320's have given me 17 mpg or so. The C-class is a nice looking car, but I think for the few really bad days in the winter-the M class is worth getting

Having said all this, no matter what you do if you buy a used mercedes-get a pre-purchase inspection done at a good independant mercedes shop. I would spend the extra and get a compression test done as well.

Mike
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Marcus: Thanks for the simple calculations and corresponding fuel tank sizes for the M-class and C-class.

Michael: Thanks for your input as well. It seems that most comments in this thread are of the opinion that I should go with an M-class. For my type of driving, I guess it makes sense, especially dealing with snow and ice.

I'll have to drive both and see, but it looks like I should still consider an ML. Question: Does the w163 ML have 4Matic activated all the time, or can it be turned off? I have the same question regarding all Merc sedans that have 4Matic.

Also Marcus, based on your provided fuel tank sizes and mpg ratings for the M-class and C-class, I surprisingly found out that the ML will actually be cheaper, fuel wise, on a week-to-week basis than the C. Even though the ML costs more per day in fuel than the C, it will give me around 7.22 days worth on a full tank vs. 5.84 days worth on a full tank for the C. The cumulative effect is that the ML will turn out to save me money over the C on fuel costs. Hmm....

Marcus: Are your C-class mpg rating for the C240 or C280?

I know I over-analyze/think things, but I want to make sure I choose the right Benz for me, even though I'm not buying until Dec of this year.

Addendum: Marcus, where did you get the fuel tank size for the w163 ML from? According to the w163 ML page at consumer reports, the fuel tank size is 19 gal.

Last edited by Bio Analyst; 07-06-2007 at 12:30 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

My understanding is that the ML is in all wheel drive at all times. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Mike
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I get my fuel capacity numbers (and the other numbers) from the MB press kit, but I can see I made a mistake. The fuel capacity number I quoted was for an ML320 CDI, which does have a 25.1 gallon tank, but is not what you were asking about. The gasoline ML320 has a 19 gallon fuel tank. Another option to consider is the ML430, which gets better economy than the ML500. The ML430 gets 16/20 (2001 model year).

The 4MATIC fuel numbers are for a C280.

Mike- you are correct, the 163 ML is full time four wheel drive - at least for the 2001 model year. I don't have any info older than that.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Marcus, thanks for your clarification. I don't mean to put all my decisions on gas prices, but it is important.

I'm really leaning towards around an 02-03-04 C240, black on black with 17'' rims and hopefully xenons.

If I can't get xenons on the one I choose, where can I buy and install them? Maybe I should ask the w203 forum..
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio Analyst
Marcus, thanks for your clarification. I don't mean to put all my decisions on gas prices, but it is important.

I'm really leaning towards around an 02-03-04 C240, black on black with 17'' rims and hopefully xenons.

If I can't get xenons on the one I choose, where can I buy and install them? Maybe I should ask the w203 forum..

I have looked on ebay for my slk and seen several. I am sure it will be the case for the one you are looking at as well. The w203 forum may have some sources as well. The search button in the upper right will help you find old posts.

Mike
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
I have looked on ebay for my slk and seen several. I am sure it will be the case for the one you are looking at as well. The w203 forum may have some sources as well. The search button in the upper right will help you find old posts.
Thanks for your input. Well, I just came back from test driving a black-on-ash 2004 C230 sports sedan. I love that Benz. For a split second, I actually considered buying it, but my better judgement got a hold of me, since I already decided to hold off buying my Benz until Dec.

Anyway, I am torn between getting a C230 Kompressor or a C240 4Matic. For my driving needs (73 highway-like miles a day, again + Boston winters..), I think a C240 4Matic is a better buy, but I love the sporty look of the C230.

Now, the sales guy did tell me that they had a C320 Sports Edition with 4Matic, but I never looked at it.

Can the C320 Sports Edition even have 4Matic as an option? I don't know if the sales guy was lying of not.

Last edited by Bio Analyst; 07-07-2007 at 06:42 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie
Hi Bio,

I really love the power of the 500. The truck is made to cruise effortlessly at more than 90 mph.. ...Not so much in North Carolina ).
I agree with both statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrX
I like the higher driving position, which offers superior visibility and therefore safety
I disagree with this, mostly because I am 6'3" and the ML seats will not go down far enough to allow my perfered position, it will go back enough though. Also I've noticed that the ML has a bad blindspot when glancing to the left and backward, to check and make sure a car isn't in the mirror's blindspot.

I was never a huge fan of the C240s or the C/ML 320s, that engine (the same engine, just different sizes) I always thought was lazy, lower revving and not all that exiting. Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in