post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: R Class
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Auxiliary Gauges Anyone?

To view Water Temp and Oil Temp on my R Class one must "scroll" through these functions to view them on the display and then only one at a time. Has anyone installed or seen a quality auxiliary gauge installation that functions and looks good?

It would be nice to monitor water temp, oil temp and oil pressure at a glance rather than rely strictly on idiot lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Add tire monitoring system as well.
You must be really bored while driving?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwagon
To view Water Temp and Oil Temp on my R Class one must "scroll" through these functions to view them on the display and then only one at a time. Has anyone installed or seen a quality auxiliary gauge installation that functions and looks good?

It would be nice to monitor water temp, oil temp and oil pressure at a glance rather than rely strictly on idiot lights.
I guess you trust more on individual gauges than the integrated system in the car. But you do not have to watch the "idiot lights", you can also rely on the audible warning, irrespectively of the instrument cluster computer settings. You would get a specific warning message too, perhaps normally a warning without tone first and then "a red display" with a warning tone. A lot more likely that one would detect those than any independent gauge.

Another thing if the individual display gives a pre-warning about a likely coming issue.

I feel comfortable with the MB system as it is but can understand if someone really wants to have some additional info. Have you then considered those ODBII monitors, one can have a lot more info from the can bus with an appropriate computer and display. The problem of good looking installation still remains (unless perhaps you can feed a video signal to the Comand display, but even that may not work in the US).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If this is a new R63, why are you watching all of the vitals so much? Enjoy the ride! If it really screws up, you have a warranty. Watching the oil temp and pressure? Have some kids or something!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: R Class
(Thread Starter)
Wow! This can be a tough crowd!

When posting this question, who would have predicted that this topic would generate some of the responses that it did, including such favorites as, “have some kids or something!”

Well, getting back to the question of gauges versus warning lights my view is that this is the difference between “monitoring” the vital signs of the car as you drive versus “riding” in the car. My view is that manufacturers have gone to warning lights as a cost savings measure and not for improved monitoring. If warning lights were the answer, then hospitals would take your blood pressure or body temperature and the only indicator would be a “green” light for “good” and a “red” light if there was problem. But they don’t, and the reason is the same as why I posed this question in first place. Gauges allow monitoring not only the fact that things are currently, “OK” but also identify “trends” which allow the user to identify potential problems and determine if any action should be taken before damage or injury occurs. Sometimes seeing a "red" light is too late!

Another reason why manufacturers have gone to “warning lights” is that they don’t want to deal with customer complaints and the resultant warranty costs that occur when the customer brings their car in because they have either been told by the service department or in the owner’s manual that their oil pressure or water temperature should be “X” and their gauge shows a discrepancy and they are insisting that the vehicle be “fixed”. Vehicle manufacturers have learned that it is easier (read cheaper) to provide their customers with the sense of security that an "unlit" instrument panel light provides instead of the real time info that a gauge provides.

Remember, there is a reason why “warning lights” are also called “idiot lights” and the answer is not just to, “have some kids or something”.

Last edited by manwagon; 06-06-2007 at 03:52 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Post in the section specific to your vehicle. You may get a more specific response to your question.

btw - If you think it is rough here, stay away from off topic.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Comparing to the hospital is not accurate here.
In hospitals you have bunch of professionals, that from small differences in readouts can diagnose the status. What are qualifications of average MB owner to tell the difference between 30 and 35 psi of oil pressure?
I have vehicles with lot of gauges and I actually monitor them. Problem is that you simply can't monitor them every 20 seconds. On my boat I had incident of seaweeds clogging my cooling water inlet. By the time I would notice the gauge, the engine would be likely gone.
Thanks for "Idiots HORN"
I think you are trying to complicate well done vehicle and bring some pity on yourself.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
*LOL* You certainly don't owe an explanation as to why you want to know your car better. I think Kaj is right, that for most owners, a little (more) information is a dangerous thing. It doesn't sound like you fall into that category, but that doesn't stop me from uttering the first witty (or stupid, depending on your mood) thing that comes to my mind.

All in good humor. If I can't offer helpful hints, I can at least try to be entertaining to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in