Raising the car: axlestands or ramps? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
The ramps are usually bulletproof. Even when somebody will drive over the edge, there is always some warning. I used to have 5 t commercial stand that I used on my motorhome. I estimate the side of main axle might be 5.5 ton but safety margin and so on....
So.... after raising the axle with hydraulic jack, I put the 5t stand under it and opened the hydraulic valve. The motorhome went all the way down to the ground splitting the stand with no visible resistance.
Just like a butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Working under a car on jackstands is a sign of suicidal tendancies.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 06:29 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really don't understand how a jackstand is seen as dangerous.

It is a solid piece of metal with a metal pin sliding through, if you uuse a pair or 4 2 ton stands you are only using 25% of the maximum weight these were designed for.

If you mean by Jackstands the hydraulic ones, then in the UK these are called trolley jacks and yes I agree, these should never be used when you are working on the vehicle apart from raising it to put the jack stands under.

Dave!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, we mean jackstands. 25% or no, it's just that sh#$ happens. If your vehicle is on stands, it is not in it's lowest energy state and if something happens, it will happen quickly. I prefer slow, ductile failures.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M119Howitzer
I really don't understand how a jackstand is seen as dangerous.

It is a solid piece of metal with a metal pin sliding through, if you uuse a pair or 4 2 ton stands you are only using 25% of the maximum weight these were designed for.

If you mean by Jackstands the hydraulic ones, then in the UK these are called trolley jacks and yes I agree, these should never be used when you are working on the vehicle apart from raising it to put the jack stands under.

Dave!
Metal stands fail without warning. They just split, or shear off the pin. Maybe UK has better laws, but in US the rating is misleading. The so-called 2-t stand is rated for 2-ton CAR. Meaning supporting 1/2 ton corner with some safety margins. To lift 1-ton axle you need at least 3-ton jack.
No matter what my car stands on, I always try to put the wheel, or wood planks under the sides. Have to admit that in emergencies the safety was not always priority, but I survived without accident so far.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Metal stands fail without warning. They just split, or shear off the pin. Maybe UK has better laws, but in US the rating is misleading. The so-called 2-t stand is rated for 2-ton CAR. Meaning supporting 1/2 ton corner with some safety margins. To lift 1-ton axle you need at least 3-ton jack.
No matter what my car stands on, I always try to put the wheel, or wood planks under the sides. Have to admit that in emergencies the safety was not always priority, but I survived without accident so far.
The UK is no better, and it's as interesting point you raise about the ratings.

I have just checked my stands in their box. It states (in 6 European languages) max capacity: 2 tons per pair. Now my metric conversion tables do not recognise the ton. I can either have the long ton at 2240 pounds, or the short ton at 2000 pounds. At worst then, they are good for 4000lbs per pair.

[That spec surprises me as these European countries all use the metric system, so perhaps they reallly mean 2 tonnes, which = 2000Kg.]

The unladen weight of my CLK is 1700Kg (3747 pounds) three quarters of which I estimate is distributed over the front wheels. Say that is around 3000 pounds. Add a 50% safety factor, and you get a weight of 4500 pounds.

Unless my math is wrong, I don't think that these stands are safe enough for my car.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You are probably adding a safety factor on top of a safety factor. They are probably ok for a CLK. Still, I wouldn't crawl under the vehicle supported only by the stands. I prefer to stand back and curse when a failure occurs. I'm not so into that whole, ...was rushed to the hospital... nearly killed... did you see what that idiot did on the news last night, type of thing. Just not my cup of tea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in