BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: '03 W210 E320 CDI AvG Estate
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trans oil level E320CDI

Hello everyone.
Having now completed the fitting of a supplementary oil cooler to the transmission on my W210 E class can anyone enlighten me on the correct procedure for checking the oil level. I have bought the dipstick (why not put one in the car to begin with?) and the way I usually check oil level on other cars is to drive for 5 miles to get the trans up to temp, chock the wheels and apply park brake. select R,N,D,N,R,N & D, leave in drive and check level. Is this correct?
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Sounds complicated. Why chock the wheels? The level suppose to be checked on hot transmission. 5 miles might not be good enough, when that barely warms up the engine.
Switching the gears is necessary only if you do the test after engine shut down. At least that was procedure last time I read about it in manual, what was some time ago. Supposable MB have electronic sensor that will warn you about low fluid level, but I couldn't confirm that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Moorey
Hello everyone.
. I have bought the dipstick (why not put one in the car to begin with?) and the way I usually check oil level on other cars is to drive for 5 miles to get the trans up to temp, chock the wheels and apply park brake. select R,N,D,N,R,N & D, leave in drive and check level. Is this correct?
Andrew
i hope you didn't drive the car with the dipstick in. it's a very long one and you are not supposed to drive with it on. before you break the cap to place the dipstick in, buy another new cap to put on when finished with the tranny dipstick, so no particles get inside. and you need an infrared thermometer to measure if the fluid temperature is 80C, then can check with the dipstick. just in case you didn't know.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi guys
only engine oil level reads out on dash. Chock wheels only as precaution as trans shift in D while checking. Didnt run car with dipstick in. Just need to know the MB procedure as different manufacturers have different ways such as engine running or off,in drive or neutral, cold or hot etc etc
Thanks
Andrew
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 02:29 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: Oo == oO 98 E320
Andrew, you'll be more likely to get an answer in the 210 forum.

'87 300E: sold after 11years @ 230k & still on the road somewhere in rural Tennessee.

'94 C220 with 93k totalled 10/06 by hit & run broadsiding monster truck: not a scratch or bruise for me
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 02:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Moorey
Hi guys
only engine oil level reads out on dash. Chock wheels only as precaution as trans shift in D while checking. Didnt run car with dipstick in. Just need to know the MB procedure as different manufacturers have different ways such as engine running or off,in drive or neutral, cold or hot etc etc
Thanks
Andrew
Why don't you buy WIS for your car then?

I don't think Kajtek meant you would be or could be able to read the oil level from the dash, the sensor could still be there to give a warning of a low oil level. Don't know either if there is one for the tranny but e.g. on the 221.112 you cannot read the engine oil level from the dash but it still gives a warning (on the dash computer) for low engine oil level.

The reason not to include the tranny dipstick could be on your original post, MB probably wanted to avoid people checking the level themselves if they are not sure how it should be done. Of course it may also be a plus for the dealers' income.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The transmission level has to be checked at two different temperatures. When an authorized MB service facility adds transmission fluid to a car like yours, they hook the car to a STAR diagnostic machine, which tells them the fluid temperature. When the transmission fluid is at 25 degrees Celsius, the fluid level should be between the Min and Max settings that are at the end of the dipstick. With the fluid 80 degrees Celsius, the fluid level should be between the Min and Max settings that are further up the dipstick. Because the average person is likely to do more harm than good, MB elected not to supply a transmission dip stick.

My WIS states that if too much or too little oil is in the transmission, malfunctions and damage will occur. IHTH.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thankyou Marcus. I will hook up my diagnostic kit and see if I can get trans oil temp on the live current data pages, if not I will use my laser temperature sensor to detrmine temperature of oil. I have WIS but struggle to navigate round it. All I need to know is are the levels checked with engine idling or off with trans in neutral or in 'D'.
Thanks
Andrew
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Per the WIS, the engine should be running, in park, and it should have been idling at least two minutes since it was in drive. IHTH
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
That reminded me a story when I bought 123 model from a DUI seller years ago. The car went thru test drive flawlessly regardless 20 years of age.
But when I left the city and started driving 80 + mph, suddenly the car blown huge cloud of smoke from under-body. Scared me to death, regardless the fact that my wife was following me and I had a ride home .
Turned out that the seller overfilled transmission and when it got hot on freeway it blown the excess fluid thru the top vent and the fluid spilled on exhaust pipes made the heavy smoke.
After confirming that nothing serious happened I drove it home without future problems.
Than those 123 are really bulletproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in