post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Whats A Mb Service TECHNICIAN MAKE ?

My son is interested in ATI Tech University. They offer a MB certified training program. Someone, Dealer, Service reps... know what a 1st year MB service tech makes? Whats the pay like after their established (2nd, 3rd yr.) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Who to ask

There is a fellow on MercedesShop - Mercedes Benz Parts and Technical Information, Alon, username: "Ashman" who just completed the Mercedes training program in Chicago a few months ago and has recently gone to work as a Service Advisor (not a tech) for the Mercedes dealer in Encino, California, who might have the exact answer to this question.

Perhaps if you respectfully PM'ed him, he could answer this, or similar questions about this career.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
well being a service tech you have to be good at it to make money. I have been a mercedes technician for awhile now and my income isnt what i would like it to be. I blame most of this on my dealer I work for. I also blame a small part on how we are paid.

to start, techs are paid by the jobs we do. 95% of the jobs have opcodes or labor times. for instance, if a car comes in and needs an evaporator and its a c class, mercedes says an evaporator job pays 7.5 hours. plus .8 to evacuate and recharge. so basically to complete the job you will only get paid 8.3 hours wether it takes you 4 hours or 40 hours. and the objective is to complete it before the required time. thats how we make our money. but warranties times have been cut down alot. jobs dont pay very much anymore. most warranty jobs i dont like to do. i like customer pay work as you are given warranty time plus 30-50%.

dont get me wrong, I love being a tech, but if I could do it over again I would have choosen another career. only because of the pay. 10 years ago techs were making over 100K a year easily, now its hard to even make over 30-40K. its possible but you end up working twice as hard for half the pay. I put in over 150 hours every 2 weeks and my pay checks are between 90-110 hours. it all depends on the work I am given. also you dont get paid for eveything. if there is no work, you arent getting paid. you dont get paid to push in a car that doesnt start.

the last thing is you need to be good at this. as a successful tech, understanding how electronics work and how to diagnosis driveability issues and electrical issues is a must. alot of people think I can hook up a diagnostic machine and based on the fault code it gives me, I will know whats wrong and that isnt true. mercedes benz are hard vehicle to diagnosis. any normal american car that has a battery that isnt charging is usually caused by a faulty alternator, with mercedes if a battery isnt charging, it can be a bad alternator, faulty control unit, wrong coding. so many things. and if you cant diagnosis these issues, fast and efficently your paychecks wont be good.

i tell you all this because saying I make 30-50k a year wont help your son. he needs to know more behind what goes on at the dealer. also figure in that a big part of your first year income is going to be spent on tools. i have over 30k in tools. with mercedes, having the right tool is a must.

Last edited by Streetglower; 05-17-2007 at 02:44 AM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the insight. It will help him make a more informed decision.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Streetglower, well said. I love to work on cars all my life and still do. But I contend that I'll starve simply because I'm too slow at it.

If a customer brings in a warranty work and it was NTF, then what? How does that get paid?

Last edited by CalifSLK; 05-17-2007 at 08:56 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

not sure what NTF stands for but I assume you are asking what happens if they bring it in for warranty work and then we find out its not warranty or no issue found. well we give an estimate and if they decline, we dont get paid. if someone says there ac is blowing warm and I hook up a das and do a short test and find no codes, hook up gauges and check pressures and they are fine and ac is blowing cold, i dont get paid. i get paid only when parts are replaced.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 04 G500
Tell him to be a good technician in preparation to become an excellent service advisr

I was making well over the 100's my first year as a service advisor. I'm 8 years into it now and I'm pretty "comfortable".

And I love what I do, everyday.

04' G500 (G-Wagen) Benz (sold) <== we trully miss her.
04' Range Rover <== Traded with an Audemars Piguet RG Royal Oak Montoya =)
07' BMW 750Li <== traded this in, economy is down.
--
10' Acura TL w/ Tech package. (I'm loving this new ride)
09' GL320 BlueTec Black on Black w/ Everything except the grille guard.
08' Gallardo Spyder on HRE's
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 300SD Turbo
Left the Benz dealer in 2004. "A" techs were making $30 hr. There were a few that made over $100G's per year.

'83 Benz 300SD - Gray Anthracite/Black & Gray,Euro lights, 232K and counting.
'83 300D. Gray Anth/Palamino - Gone.
'03 VW Passat W8 6 Speed. A few Mods. - Gone & sorely missed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

now see i also think that the dealer i work for holds techs back. I work for an autonation dealer and it sucks. the highest paid techs in the shop only pull out 100-110 hours every 2 weeks. its very hard to get paid for everything you do and again labor times have dropped so much.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetglower
not sure what NTF stands for.....
Sorry, NTF=no trouble found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in