LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I can think of at least a half dozen legitimate reasons to sue Mercedes Benz but no one has done so. It's right you can sue for any reason BUT it all boils down to your own personal decency.

If the tables were turned and YOU had a company manufacture analog modules for your vehicle's teleaid until the 2004 contract ran out, you would be pissed if you had to eat those modules and replace them with a much more expensive part due to mandates that were not your own. I'm sure Mercedes knew that all analog was obsolete but I suspect they had to honor their contract with the manufacturer of these teleaid modules. In order to keep from losing their tails, they had to use them. Why would they want a warehouse full of these modules just because they weren't going to be any good in 3 years. I would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes.

No manufacturer is obligated to 'update' older model year cars just because something newer and better came out. It's no different than all those integrated phones that were included in their cars that are now obsolete. Should they also have to pony up the money to update all those phones?? I would think not. If you want the latest and greatest, buy a new Mercedes. If you can't afford a new one, then upgrade to a digital system for $1,700 or $600 or whatever.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Compucards attitude is becoming typical, if you dont like the situation , sue. I have Tel Aid installed, and did not really get any value. I cancelled after the first year. I would opt for a selective option "pay as you go". If Tel Aid were offered as an option I would not have opted fot it
The bottom line is that MB went with a analog supplier ATT, to provide coverage in as much geographic area as possible, well, the FCC decreed that analog channnels wil be allowed to discontinue traffic, and Canada is following the program.
I was informed that current subscribers will be offered a retrofit for somewhere in the $660 area, which evidently has been offered. There was a period where vehicles were shipped with dual band transceivers in 04/05.
By the way the transmitters were provided by Motorola, you cant sue them because they were only an equipment supplier.
post #23 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompukard
I say this is not fair because for Mercedes to charge $1700 to upgrade tele-aid, well you know it costs substantially less to manufacture as it is the same box that goes in all Mercedes since 2005 and on.......Mercedes sees fit to make a profit and play off of my fears that my Fiance who is with our first child would drive my car and be involved in a automobile accident.......Mercedes know that people who buy these cars have$1700 to spend and are taking advantage of us......it would have been "fair" to offer the upgrade at cost. As far as wanting to "immediately sue somebody" well I made no such statement.......if you mean to say that by me exercising my constitutional right to have access to the US court system if I feel I have been harmed, well then you should go back to 4th grade and take civics again because the last time I checked that was still a constitutional right.......wait unless our Congress passed another law last night without reading it that took this right away too.........plausible?
Evidently you have not planned well with your "fiancee" and the impending child!
post #24 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I consider this matter settled...............but in closing I can sue for any reason I choose.........as long as I can get a jury to go along with it, that is all I need to be victorious.

Sorry, but no, you can't sue for "any" reason you choose. You can "file" for any reason you choose. Feel free to confirm this with your attorney - your case can be dismissed before it ever reaches the trial stage for "having no basis in law", due to a of the "lack of sound legal arguments", or for "not having been brought to court in good faith".

Quote:
my production date is 2/04
I thought you were closing. Since you're still available, lets do the math.
2/2004 - 2/005 is one year
2/2005 - 2/006 is two years
2/2006 - 2/007 brings us to three years.

If we subtract three years from today, we would be at 5/2004 which is AFTER your production date, correct?

This is aside from the fact that the 2004 model year began in calendar year 2003.
post #25 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I know we are talking about different amounts of money, but I was willing to spend the $275 for the puck to update my Mototola v60 phone to Bluetooth. I was lucky not to have the Timeport which would have been installed in my car from the factory (previous owner had it put in sometime after the initial purchase). I also had to update my phone to something (I chose the Moto Razr since Cingular had them handy) and it was, of course, on the MB compatibility list.

There have been several threads about the usefulness and practicality of TeleAid on here, and I think the concensus is that it is pretty worthless, if not redundant, since most eveyone has a cellular phone these days.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #26 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The $1,700 is a great price for a lifetime deal. It will take you about owing the car for 7 more years to break even on the teleaid. No more yearly teleaid bills.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #27 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I know we are talking about different amounts of money, but I was willing to spend the $275 for the puck to update my Mototola v60 phone to Bluetooth. I was lucky not to have the Timeport which would have been installed in my car from the factory (previous owner had it put in sometime after the initial purchase). I also had to update my phone to something (I chose the Moto Razr since Cingular had them handy) and it was, of course, on the MB compatibility list.

There have been several threads about the usefulness and practicality of TeleAid on here, and I think the concensus is that it is pretty worthless, if not redundant, since most eveyone has a cellular phone these days.
There's a difference between TeleAid and a cellphone. If you're in an accident, help is notified immediately and will lock in on your position with GPS satellite (how I understood it to work). Can you call 911 if you were badly hurt? Other people may have cell phones, but if you run off the road and hit a tree and no one sees you? A few other features as well...

It may never happen the whole time you own the car, but it gives you peace of mind.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #28 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
There's a difference between TeleAid and a cellphone. If you're in an accident, help is notified immediately and will lock in on your position with GPS satellite (how I understood it to work). Can you call 911 if you were badly hurt? Other people may have cell phones, but if you run off the road and hit a tree and no one sees you? A few other features as well...

It may never happen the whole time you own the car, but it gives you peace of mind.
The way I undertstand it, TeleAid only calls MBUSA if the air bags deploy. Unless I am very mistaken, that's about it's only advantage over a cell phone. Maybe you should read the other threads on the subject before arguing with me about whether it's worthwhile?

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #29 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I consider this matter settled...............but in closing I can sue for any reason I choose.........as long as I can get a jury to go along with it, that is all I need to be victorious.
That right there is why you need tort law reform in the US. BS Lawsuits by babies who think the world owes them a living.
post #30 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
The way I undertstand it, TeleAid only calls MBUSA if the air bags deploy. Unless I am very mistaken, that's about it's only advantage over a cell phone. Maybe you should read the other threads on the subject before arguing with me about whether it's worthwhile?
Yes I forgot that. But perhaps you missed the "peace of mind" part of my post. I'm not debating usefulness and practicality. Everyone has their own reasons why they do or don't have TeleAid. But comparing TeleAid to a cellphone is a bit of a stretch is certain aspects.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in