post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any Audi Owners?

I"m going to get the wife a replacement for her old CRX. She's fallen in love with the Audi TT. (I already tried to turn her onto the SLK - no go).

Anyone around here own one? I know zero about the TT or any Audi.

I tried posting a question on an Audi board. Only one small reply. THey're not as friendly over there I guess.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Look for KamiL in OT -- he has one.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Thanks... I was hoping to get some real opinions vs. Kamil's "It's a chick magnet".

(I still haven't figured out how real that guy is)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: W124 300e
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to milosz87
I used to work at an audi dealer and id tell you to stay away from audis, because all the do is break, or have something wrong with them, but, the TT is an awsome car, only came in when it needed to for service and thats that. i never heard or saw anyone complain about it.

Oh how did I do it, I got right in, it was like liquid fluid.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 96 and 08 911 turbos
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I owned a 98.5 A4 1.8t quattro for about 2 years.

Bought at 96k, sold at 118k.

Problems in that time, zero.

Money spent on maintenance, $320 for t/belt, water pump, acc. belts. Cleaned air filter, and changed oil every 3k. Oh, and 1 bad wheel bearing, at $150

From 110k miles on, it had an APR 1 bar chip, which made the car a lot more fun to drive. Caused no issues.

I loved the car. The Front suspension was getting a bit rough, but it was original. Mechanically, the car was ROCK SOLID.

Milo, you must work for Paul Miller. $125 an hour at their audi dealership must be nice for a tech.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Very nice. I've found there's 3 options, but I like the 4 cyl for the gas milage and insurance. Between the 180 hp and 220 hp, I'm looking more towards the 180 hp engine. My wife drives annoyingly slow and easy so she'll put zero strain on the engine. Plus the less power will keep me from stealing it.

I just want to make sure it has sufficient passing power in the mountains. I'm too scared to take mine up to S. Tahoe in the winter and the Quattro would be perfect for snowboarding season.

Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
D2k
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 05 A6 3.2Q, 07 A4 2.0T S-Line
I picked up an A4 2.0T S-Line in early Feb. So far so good but it only has 4k miles on it. The 2.0T engines are a little buzzy and some complain about vibration but I personally don't notice this maybe b/c I expect 4 bangers to be a little buzzy anyways. The thing really scoots! It's no highway monster though

DSG transmission is fun but I don't use it much in regular driving. It would probably be fun at the track.

I don't know much about the TT's other than they are ranked top 3 for cars that women buy. That was for the old TT at least.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
Get the 220hp TT, assuming you are getting the roadster and not the coupe. The 220 comes with a standard power top, dual exhaust, 6-speed as opposed to 5, standard quattro system, and other niceties. I looked at both the 180 and the 220 TT roadsters before buying my current Audi, a 2001 A6 2.7T - which, I might add, has required nothing more than standard service for its' entire 97,000 mile life. If you maintain newer Audis properly, they are very reliable. Buy a certified pre-owned, though - any issues will usually be present in any Audi model within the initial warranty period or just beyond, so if you get a CPO warranty from Audi, which is excellent, you will likely get a great car and a great warranty. Free carwashes with every service under warranty!

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life." - Henry David Thoreau

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prana25
I just want to make sure it has sufficient passing power in the mountains. I'm too scared to take mine up to S. Tahoe in the winter and the Quattro would be perfect for snowboarding season.
Double-downshift and it will haul ass all winter long. I got my Audi after test-driving it in a snowstorm and blowing the doors off everything else on the road like it was 70 degrees and sunny. Those turbos really put out a lot of juice, and you can crank them up a lot with very little money and few parts - just chip and ehxaust and you can have 380hp from the 2.7T engine, for example, which came with 255 stock in the A6.

The nice thing about forced induction, and why countries/states with high altitudes use turbo cars for their federal and local police, is that the pressurized induction system means no loss of power due to altitude - perfect for mountain driving.

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life." - Henry David Thoreau

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Wow.. Very good to know.

Although I'm pushing her to get the roadster, she's pretty set on the coupe. As with most things regarding this, I think we're both making decisions to ensure I don't end up driving the Audi. (I'm sure I'd go back to the Benz after a short time though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in