post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need info about M119 engine.

Hello,

I'm considering putting an 5.0 32V M119 engine in my W201 but will it fit?

I would be able to shoehorn it in but, i also want a manuel transmission. A auto box would simply not be right

Is there any manuel transmission that will fit without mods?
What is the ready to run weight of the engine?
How wide is it?
It can't be mouch heavier than the 260 w124 engine because that is one hell of a steel lump

This is gong to be a sleeper W201 with 500E style arches i front and back to make some room for beefy tires but still looking kind of stock from factory.
The engine will get a new engine management system so the electronics and so on is not important.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom zoom

Is there any manuel transmission that will fit without mods?
No.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not only won't it fit, but Mercedes never mated the M119 to a manual trans, so where will you find clutch, etc.?

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I should be able to find a flywheel i can match up with the crankshaft i belive so a clutch will not be a problem. I'm thinking of using at dodge viper 6-speed transmission because that should easely cope with the power from the M119engine but this is not setteled yet. Just on the planning stage

This in actualy a normal prosedure when you are putting at engine a place where it original don't belong, machine shops do it all the time....

It could be a realy fast car though
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mercedes has ONE type bellhousing that was on one of the 722.xxx trannies [I am not at my desk to get real data right now] that detaches from the automatic which gives a boltup to the 119 motor.

Pedal boxes are available for your 201 so that is done.

You will need spline mods and custom clutch packs [there is a group out of Alabama that does this very well].

You will also have to reposition your shifter.

We have done the mating of a 6 speed Richmond Transmission to the M119 and have correct function - OUTSIDE OF THE CAR on a 500E. Custom driveshaft and all the linkage, mounting etc are going to be this falls project.

All this is after you figure out if you can put a M119 in a 201. It only just fits in a 124. Wheel well to wheelwell there is under 1/4 inch clearence when moving the motor around to position.

And then there is the HEAT in the smaller car.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Valuable info you got there The number on that bellhosuing would be exelent.
I'm afraid Alabama is waaaay to far away from me, i'm currently positioned in Norway you see
But a M119 in a W201 has been done before as you can se on these pictures, click on the link for more info about the car.
KtB´s 190er Seiten

They got it in but, how did they do it... I'm shure i can do it to if they could!
I might have to widen where the rocker covers are to clear the chassi rails or whatever other metal that gets in the way i suppose.

Hmmm, if i asked really pretty. Would you e-mail me some pictures of your build?
I would be much grateful!

Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-06-2007 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom zoom
Valuable info you got there The number on that bellhosuing would be exelent.
I'm afraid Alabama is waaaay to far away from me, i'm currently positioned in Norway you see
But a M119 in a W201 has been done before as you can se on these pictures, click on the link for more info about the car.
KtB´s 190er Seiten

They got it in but, how did they do it... I'm shure i can do it to if they could!
I might have to widen where the rocker covers are to clear the chassi rails or whatever other metal that gets in the way i suppose.

Hmmm, if i asked really pretty. Would you e-mail me some pictures of your build?
I would be much grateful!
Not a problem on the email. I am surprised they shoehorned that motor in. That was damned good work.

There is a woman in Norway that owns a 500E that has supercharged it and is producing real power. I have been threatening to go over there next time I am in England to check it out. With this 190, it might further push me to go.

We will be doing the mating up of drivetrain to car in a couple of months so don't expect to get email quickly. PM me with your email acct info and I will put it on a note.

Also, if you get to the point on the flywheel/clutch issues, the Alabama folks are good enough that I would consider using them and deal with the shipping. They do much NASCAR, IMSA and American LeMans work.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 05-07-2007 at 12:13 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
PM is done

This is a longtime project, i'm planning to have license plates on it but this is a big build with many elements the Norwegian state is not so fond of... LOL
The alabama folks is written on a post-it for later use

So, anyone with some M119 outer dimensions for me mayby?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Not even some pics?

All the info i can get
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: C43 AMG, 190E 0.0L
I don't know if this thread is still being watched, but I thought I would add my .02 FWIW. I'm finishing an m117 to w201 swap, and I think I've got a fairly good hold on the issues that you would likely run into w/ the m119 swap. Here is a run-down of the specifics that I imagine you will need to work out:

1) The steering box....the m117 only barely clears it, and headers require one to get creative. Count on either (1) altering the geometry of the steering system and moving the gearbox over/down/forward, or (2) converting to rack and pinion....I've heard a VW or BMW rack works the best for a 201.

2) Front swaybar....not a big issue, but you will need a 500e bar with around 1/2 inch lobbed off either side. Otherwise you will never get the engine oil pan to clear both the swaybar and crossmember.

3) Firewall and triangular trays (under brake booster and also under battery compartment) will need to be HEAVILY modified to take a 119 w/ the wider quad cam heads. Take that to the bank.....also not necissarily the biggest hurdle, but lots of little things/problems will result from this in terms of routing of fuel/brake lines, and also just your rain gaurds and windshield wiper assembly.

4) Electronics.....I don't even want to think about that. The straight CIS--->CIS swap I did was child's play. Your CIS--->LH swap is going to be a major undertaking. At least make sure that you have every wiring diagram that you might need, as well as the engine harness, trans harness, and traction control harness. Assuming (I don't know) your m119 uses an electronic speedo, that will not be compatible with the w201 mechanical speedo.

5) Fusebox. Hmmm....not sure how much will need to change, but it is a horrible nightmare to remove and re-install. Avoid this at all costs, unless absolutely necissary....which it most likely will be. Oh god.....don't take pictures of this, because I never want to think about doing it ever again haha

6) Transmission....it should probably fit without much trouble. My 722.3 fit with VERY minimal banging on the tunnel. It is not much wider than the 722.4 used in the 201, and only the valve body extends a little further than normal. I was able to use the existing rear trans mounts, and just swapped out the output flange for a smaller one from my old trans. This saved me from having to modify the driveshaft, and amazingly enough this all placed the motor in the correct position in the engine compartment.

Hopefully that gives you a good feel for what lays ahead of you should you choose to undertake this project. It sounds exciting, but make sure you prepare yourself for the vast amount of work involved....seriously, I grossly underestimated the difficulty level of my swap, and the amount of time and attention to detail it would require. I have probably studied diagrams, manuals, etc for hundreds and hundreds of hours, and I still have questions almost daily. My year and a half of planning prior to starting this swap were somewhat beneficial in terms of familiarizing myself with the motor and a few major areas of concern, but advice from others (on forums), and things I thought I understood from manuals and written literature were almost without exception proven to be largely or entirely innaccurate (pertaining to the swap in particular). Most everything that I was told would be a problem was not, and almost everything that I took for granted going into this ended up being a major headache. Oh yeah....the one thing that a lot of folks did guess correctly was the lowest amount of money I would spend. So here is my most valuable advice to you, perhaps more valuable than anything listed above.

1) Plan on spending at least 10k USD, no matter how you go about it.....even w/ your own labor. This is if you want it done correctly of course

2) Plan on it taking twice as long as your worst case scenario, and being 3 times as difficult.

Good luck...can't wait to see someone actually sack up and take the 119 swap on!

'99 C43 AMG ~~ Part Getter
'91 190E 5.6 ~~ Lots of mods, project car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in