Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

When, not what, is your favorite MB

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  WaltE320 
#1 ·
In the morning I like driving my SLK because the traffic is heavy and I can get things done. At night I like the S as I can drink a glass of wine before we go out to dinner (the wife drives).

#2 ·
This is an awesome idea for a thread, let me say.

and...

My CLK is my favorite all day long, whether I'm cruising into work, cruising down the highway, or heading to dinner at a nice place or just running errands. It's compact enough to throw around, it's a monster down straights, and shit, it's just so sexy.

#5 ·
Corkscrew said:
In the morning I like driving my SLK because the traffic is heavy and I can get things done. At night I like the S as I can drink a glass of wine before we go out to dinner (the wife drives).
I love driving my manual SLK top down in easy traffic so I can really enjoy it and for heavy traffic I have Audi A6 auto.

Of cause SLK is great in summer and Audi during winter.

#8 ·
Kirill said:
nah, small country roads west of mchenry country is the best for summer driving top down.
I've driven country roads, city roads and everything in between. There is nothing better than LSD from Evanston to McCormick Ctr. at night.

Also-rans:
Skyline Drive in Rapid City on a Sunday morning.
The Sea-to-Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler on a crisp fall day.
Park Loop Rd. outside of Bar Harbor on a warm sunny day.

Now I'm itching to go for a drive.

#9 · (Edited)
amcnair said:
Nothing like driving on LSD in the summertime.
(I'm guessing only Chicagoans will get that one.)
Heavy traffic all the way to the Navy Pier. LSD is cool after lunch, not too much traffic.

While at home, use the SLK to the office where there is covered parking. Suburban when the weather is bad, then the Volvo when parking is a hassle like shopping centers.

#10 ·
I love driving my car all the time, especially in warm weather when I can have all the windows down and take advantage of the lack of a B-Pillar.

#12 ·
My daily drive in Bangkok is the SLK. It is great in our traffic and since the SLK is so unique in Thailand I always get ushered to the premium parking areas in malls and at hotels. In Bangkok the very high end shopping malls have 'prestige' parking on the first parking floor and only unique cars are pointed there. If I am driving the SLK I always get the nod. But, since there are so many Ss in Bangkok, when I am driving the S I have to park with the masses. Most people here do not know that a S is more costly than a SLK (since there are so few SLKs people think they are way more expensive).

In the evening I like the S. My wife drives and I can look out the window. And at dinner I don't have to worry about how many glasses of wine I can have.

OK. Today, however, my day drive was the S. Wow! What a smooth machine...as smooth as silk as we say in Thailand. And, it is so quiet...no traffic noise intrusion. Comfy as anything with the "pulse" mood in the driver's seat.

Love these cars. Like having a wife and a mistress who like each other. [Yes, the cars share the same garage]

Attachments

#13 ·
Corkscrew said:
I use the S Class for everyday driving, mostly on Freeways where it belongs.

When it is a really nice sunny day here in England I love to take the SL out when the sun is starting to head below the horizon. In the twilight the paint and chrome take on a beautiful hue and switching on the sidelights just makes the car look really classy.

The pillarless coupe goes out in good weather and much like the SL really looks good at the end of the day/early evening.

#14 · (Edited)
On Sunday at around 7AM. The outside temp is about 50 and I am the only car on the road. I hit the gas and the cool air rushes into the engine and I feel like I have 1000 HP as the speedo reaches 100 mph, while some 80's song that I use to jam to when I was 15 is playing loud on the radio. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
My favourite time ....driving solo in a (W140) 500 SEL

On dark, cold wet rainy nights. Driving on A roads through the countryside. Climate control on. Cruise control on. Dark Side of the Moon playing on the stereo. Surreal!!! The eerie silence of the car, the ease at which it glides along smoothing out the lumps and bumps of the road. Effortless, smooth elegance. Awesome!

#16 ·
I like to drive my SLR when I'm running over people that owe me money...any time of the day.

#17 ·
In the SL just after dinner on the back roads through the horse farms as the horses are out for their evening play.

#19 ·
I like my 300CD. It is so frugal on fuel versus my other cars. Plus it is so inconspicious.

#22 ·
When the car is freshly detailed late afternoon with the windows up, AC blowing cold, crisp reflections gliding against the shiny hood while listening to nice music and relaxing one hand on the armrest.

When another DIY project has been successfully completed, and going for a short (test) drive.

When at a Benz meet with fellow w123 enthusiasts lined up on the highway taking videos and pictures, passing and signalling each other as if in a choreographed move.

When walking towards the parking lot and instantly seeing my car amongst the white, silver and black cars, especially on a bright sunny day.

When, right after doing an oil change (almost due, by the way), I check and double check to make sure the level is correct, everything else is accounted for and I've just wiped clean the valve cover of any spilt oil, I know the car is ready for another 3,000 more miles.

When going through a winding mountain pass going left and right, well balanced and sure footed, then realizing the old girl still has it in her despite her age. Then going back for another run!

I could go on and on...:p

#23 ·
My 300CD is great on the highway at 70-75MPH with the sunroof open. The Diesel is operating at peak efficiency and the W123 shows why it is the definition of the word "CAR."

Most other times my 400E is a much more satisfying ride. It's smoother (no sh!t, right?), quieter, not to mention faster. Plus it is 15 years old and looks like it could be a year old.

Don't get me wrong - I love my 300CD and it shall be pried Charlton Heston-style from my cold dead hands, but these cars are two totally different machines.

#24 ·
I like to drive the 240D when I have plenty of time to enjoy the ride, like in the evening and during week-ends. If I am in a rush, I don't take the 240D...lolll. The E300 gives a quieter ride. Both cars are fuel efficient. I like both!

On very long trips, my choice is the E300.

HDen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.