post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifSLK
I think most of us here know that the mapsets used in either MB or AM are from vendors such as Navteq. So the really differences are how the particular GPS unit use the mapset.

For MOST cars, the MB GPS processors are from Harman-Beacker; in the GPS world, a relative new comer. The founder and current chairman of Garmin worked on the original military system in the '80s before starting Garmin in the early '90s. And yet they do get sold in retail outlets like Radio Shack.

p.s. Since you are from Kansas, you must know that Garmin is a Kansas company?
I'm well aware of that, which is one reason I tend to perfer the more capable NAVTEQ/Bosch systems in our MB cars. IMO...

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I'm well aware of that, which is one reason I tend to perfer the more capable NAVTEQ/Bosch systems in our MB cars. IMO...
Bosch is not a known entity in the GPS world either. I don't have one so I don't know how well it works. They didn't make it on the MOST supplier list initially and I don't know if they are a GPS supplier to MB now.

Function wise, the scroll button interface used upto the 2006 MB Nav is just ancient whether it is a Bosch, Alpine or Harman/Becker version.

May be you know Garmin better since you are local. From a consumer standpoint, they have great products and the service is great everytime I had to call on them. There are none of the bs about dirt roads not included etc.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Let me copy here a topic from RV forum. The author drove his 40' rig using GPS for routing.
The title
"Me lost? Never, I got GPS! "
Quote:
She had selected the scenic route on the GPS so as we neared Parker,AZ. and the GPS said turn right on Shea rd. I figured we were starting the scenic part. After a couple miles the blacktop went by-by and we turned on a well maintained and wide dirt road (Swansea rd.), no problem..then the road started getting a little rougher but the GPS said we were on track and course..after a few miles I began to wonder if the GPS had lost it's mind, we were on a dirt road with stutter bumps that would jar the teeth (if I had any in)until I got to 45MPH and we were leaving a dust trail a mile long! (my poor toad)
Soon the road was smoother, err was soft sand in spots, and had become way to narrow to turn around anywhere but finally the GPS said to turn left on Planet Ranch Road. A big sign warned it was a road that was not routinely maintained...oh great!
What the heck, we came this far and it still was way to tight to try and swing this 40'er around with a toad.
The road really wasn't toooo bad, I kept telling myself. A few up and downs thru dried up wash beds, some ruts and a few small potholes and I was going a bit slower anyway (about 20MPH) our 4hr trip had already turned into 6+ but the cacti were pretty!
We found a few narrow turns and were getting into a few hills and vales but still not real bad..then we topped a hill and down below the road ended in a 'T'...a TIGHT 'T' at that with rock walls on both sides...I figured I'd best check it out on foot.
I determined that if I swung wide I could go left but NO WAY could I go to the right. I checked the GPS and it showed we turned left onto
Mineral Wash Road..ok..so I did, the DW and Grandson watching both sides to make sure I cleared..we did.
I went thru a series of tight 'S' turns with rock walls on both sides and we came to a little sign that said "four wheel drive vehicle recommended beyond this point" WHAT!!?? You Idiot GPS! I'm in a 40' RV, what were you drinking!
NO way to turn around, no way I was backing up a couple miles thru 's's, damn the torpedoes, slow ahead.
With DW and grandson now hoofing it in front to clear the rocks that would hit on the suspension and tranny we crept forward another mile and I found myself in a very tight canyon, about 2' clearance to the rocks on both sides..a sharp series of s's ahead..I stopped to contemplate this situation. While stopped I noticed something was missing, my BEAUTIFUL Holiday Rambler mud flap was no longer part of our safari group! Just a bent and twisted frame were it use to be..
Also I noticed the dirt road was now round, loose, wash stone and pebbles! From behind us a little horn blew, 4 atv's come up..a local family out for a ride.. the gentleman asked 'What the H... are you doing with THAT (pointing to the rig) in here? (waving his hand around at the canyon walls. I showed him the GPS route and told him I was thinking of trying to turn around..he said IF I could get thru the next series of 's's without getting stuck the road climbed out onto the upper flats and it was a straight shot back to 72. (They couldn't get around me anyway.) I helped them out by backing up a few hundred feet to an area that was wide enough for them to get by and he said good luck and they'd be coming back around dark and would know if I needed a wrecker or not..with a little snicker.
With my 2 ground guide/rock moving engineers in position I dropped the tranny in low and away we crawled..DW swears I only had an inch clearance against the rock wall in the s turn. Up and over the hill we got and as told the road was straight and pretty smooth. We got to the highway and found our way to Cattail park just before dark. The RV was only dust brown from about the door rearward and the poor toad, both headlights shattered, windshield bespeckled with what looked like a machine gun shooting bb's had used for a target.
(I had them both washed by an excellent Husband and wife rv cleaning service out of Lake Havasu)
Investigating the GPS problem I found that it had decided to plan the route using 'unimproved roads and trails ok' setting..it HAD to be the GPS as we all know the DW's are infallible.
She now calls it our Bahaja trip...hummm, wonder if a Holiday Rambler ever did one? (Ouch, she hit me!)
YES, we did it, yes the directions are correct, NO I won't go that way again!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May be this is the reason MB doesn't include unpaved roads in the Command Nav.

Many moons ago before the day of GPS to be the scape goat, as a Physics guy, I decided to visit the Mecca of all Physics people, Los Alamos, NM. I headed east from San Ysidro on NM Hwy4 taking what I believe was the short cut. The map I had did indicate portions of it was unpaved. What I didn't know was that the dirt portion was badly washboarded from rain. So I did all this without the help of a GPS. It looks like this road is now paved.

My high school buddy's farm house is still on a dirt road. That road was where I learnt to drive at speed on slippery surface.

Last edited by CalifSLK; 05-04-2007 at 12:09 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Some people forget that dirt road is still a road. Few years back I was driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas. The highway is having like 70 miles shortcut on sandy road. Had no GPS at the time, but good maps. Maps don't indicate sand, or gravel. When paved road ended 3 miles after turn, I didn't turn the ML we were in around, but went for it. That was good test for rear hatch seals. Had some ice on my back when traction control light was coming on at 60 mph.
Surprisingly (not!) there were several farms on the way.
Other challenge was going from Zion Park to Page, AZ. We were in 124 sedan. Locals advised us against taking like 30 miles dirt shortcut. But I had no problems at all. Wouldn't do it in rain season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in