Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarter53
I was in the same boat a month ago when I did the B service. I gave up and just used 0w40. As they say, if it ant broke don't fix it.
Thanks acarter53, it looks like 0W40 here for at least the time being.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One other thing, if you were considering 5W40 in an effort to use (burn) less oil, the major difference between the two is the thickness (cS) of the oil is during warmup. At operating temperature, Mobil1 5W40 and 0W40 have the same thickness - 10 cS. Unless you're burning all your oil during the warmup phase, you should not notice any difference in consumption - and even then, very little.

Are you also going through O2 sensors? How about the converters?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reminder about the viscosity at operating temperature (doh) I wasn't thinking.

What did you mean about "going through O2 sensors and converters" please?

All I'm pretty sure of is that my engine is burning rather than leaking oil. I discussed that oil consumption test with the service manager and my car was assembled after the period affected by that class action suit so there was no need to do that, at least in his opinion.

Furthermore, you convinced me on my "Oil Consuption Test" thread that my usage is not that bad and hardly worth worrying about.

I guess my main issue is now this: IF I have them put 5W40 in the car during the next oil change, where am I going to buy the quarts to replace that with? At least I can readily find/buy the Mobil1 0W40.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mm

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann

I guess my main issue is now this: IF I have them put 5W40 in the car during the next oil change, where am I going to buy the quarts to replace that with?
Can you bring an empty oil bottle and ask them to fill it when they going to do the oil change ?

Kirill
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Although oil consumption (burning off) is kind of related to oil viscosity at 100 deg C, there are other important factors to consider.

The short answer is that an engine will consume less Mobil 1 5W-40 than 0W-40, if all other things are the same. Here are the factors:

1) Even though both are xW-40 oils, a 5W-40 tends to be a little thick than 0W-40 at 100 deg C. For example, 5W-40 has 14.8 cSt and 0W-40 has 14.3 cSt at 100 deg C, a difference of 3.5%.

2) The 0W-40 has to start with a thinner base stock. More viscosity improver and other additives are needed to raise the viscosity at 100 deg C at the 5W-40 level. Because it is a thinner base stock, it will consume more when the additives wear down a bit.

3) The more important spec is the High Temperature High Shear (HTHS). This is measured at 150 deg C so it is better suited to judge oil consumption. 5W-40 has an HTHS of 4.1 while 0W-40 has only 3.6. That is a difference of 14%.

4) Finally the best spec to judge this is the NOAK volatility. However, Mobil 1 does not release this number. Amsoil et al often tests this to show how their oils are superior in this department than Mobil 1.

On a related note. That is why the HDEO 15W-40 oils are so stable and engines will consume less of it than say, 10W-40.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
. . . . .What did you mean about "going through O2 sensors and converters" please? . . . . .

Depending on how it’s burned, engines can send much of the oil lost in either a burned or semi burned state out the exhaust. This is typical in a car with bad valve guides. Oil is pulled in past the guides under vacuum, burned or partially burned, and leaves the combustion chamber via the exhaust valves (as the normal exhaust does). From there it passes out the exhaust, but along the way, it comes in contact with the O2 sensor. If enough oil comes in contact with the O2 sensor, the sensor will be what is commonly known as “poisoned”. The same thing happens when someone blows a head gasket. Antifreeze can poison an O2 sensor too. Sticking to oil, O2 sensors that come in regular contact with oil return inaccurate (low) voltage levels back to the ECU. Eventually, the voltage levels will be low enough that the ECU recognizes that the O2 sensor is dead. This results in the check engine light illuminating and the ECU storing a failure code.

Aside from the O2 sensor, catalytic converters have been known to die from coming in contact with oil. Typically, anything other than gasoline and air at the correct levels, will contaminate a cat and kill it. What happens with cars that burn oil is the semi-burned oil passes down the exhaust and into the cat. Aside from causing the cat to overheat, the oil typically doesn’t completely burn and leaves a residue. This residue clogs the monolithic brick in the cat. What you end up with is a clogged cat that’s been overheated to the point where the precious metals have burned off. This means the little exhaust that does make it out of the cat, hasn’t been treated – so the oil burning car, has reduced power, burns more gas, and fails smog too. Lovely. But wait, there’s more . . . .

That’s with moderate amounts of oil being burned. Burn enough oil and you’ll foul the plugs – even with our mega-voltage CD boxes (which is another post).

Alright, back to work for me.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
Can you bring an empty oil bottle and ask them to fill it when they going to do the oil change ?
I don't see why not Kirill. Another thought I had was that surely the dealers are selling this stuff in quarts or liters(?) I am perfectly willing to pay them (what will probably be) their outrageous prices, and I certainly don't feel comfortable without having a couple of bottles in the trunk.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Premium Member
Exclamation

MM,

Where do you live in WV? Every parts store near me has 0w40 on the shelf. You should ask your parts store to stock it for you.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Arrow Bo & Marcus

Thanks to both of you for some very detailed explanations.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Arrow acarter53

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarter53
MM, Where do you live in WV? Every parts store near me has 0w40 on the shelf. You should ask your parts store to stock it for you.
Nowhere near the part of WV that touches Maryland; we call that the eastern panhandle. I'm about as far west as it gets, close to Ohio and Kentucky.

The problem is not getting synthetic Mobil1 0W40, it's the 5W40 I don't see anywhere, except for some 5W40 that says on the bottle it's designed for diesels and there is no MB spec mentioned anywhere on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in