LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2001 E320: "Stick" with "MB WorkShop Only" What is this?

Dear All,

I appreicate any helpful information you folks can offer.

Here is my story:

Yesterday I went to my mechanic (he has few S-class cars himself) to get an oil/filter change. After he did the oil change I asked him to check transmission fluid level (the car has 67K miles and I bought it from a dealer at 48K). He checked the level via. something like an AT dipstick and told me the fluid was still pink and not in need of replacement. He did it while I was resetting the FSS. So out of curiosity, I asked him to show me the AT fluid color again. He was unable to take the "stick" out again.

The "stick" he pulled out has "MB Workshop Only -and- something like A 140 270 00 94" on top. Please refer to attached digital picture. Today I read from my owner's manual that "this car has a permanent fill of automatic transmission fluid. ... for this reason the dipstick is omitted". So I guess this "stick" with "MB Workshop Only writing" might not be a dipstick at all.

What made me feel uncomfortable was there is a small rectangular plastic plate on the "stick" surface. My mechanic accidentally broke it off and he used super glue to glue it back! He told me when he first pulled the "stick" out it was fairly loose, it did not seem to be all the way in. When he put the "stick" back he pushed it all the way in and he heard a click sound which apparently locked it in (maybe that was the reason why he could not take it out the second time).

So I would like to know what this "stick" is for -- if it is not a transmission fluid dipstick. Also more importantly, is it okay to have that plastic plate glued back or I should get a replacement?

As you might notice that there is a piece of scotch tape holding the small plastic plate. I had to reduce the picture resolution to be within allowed 800k size. Sorry for the low quality of the picture...

Thanks again.

Daniel H.

PS. If you need to see the "stick" more clearly, please send an email to
"DanielTHwang@gmail.com" for me to send you a better one. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.jpg (116.1 KB, 962 views)
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome to the forum Daniel!

I think what you are describing is the M-B dealership's actual dipstick that they use to check your ATF fill level. As you stated, M-B still insists that you never need to change your fluid/filter. This had been debated on here quite a bit, and most people feel that we do need to change the fluid and filter at some point.

If you ever have a transmission service, the tech has to open the dipstick tube which was affixed by the factory with a lock pin, and I think it is designed to break. I think that is the plastic plate that you now have glued into place. I also think that this set-up was designed to alert any future M-B technicians that your system has been "compromised".

I was only charged about $1 for one of these lock pins during my fluid/filter change, and if I were you, I'd buy one and have it replaced properly.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 04-21-2007 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
No need to replace it. Next time you want to take the cap off -push the pin down and catch it below. When you are done, push the pin back flush with the top.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 06:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum Daniel. Unless I'm mistaken, that cap is part number 140-991-00-55 and they retail for $1.65. It's one of the least expensive parts at the dealer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by DanielH
Also more importantly, is it okay to have that plastic plate glued back or I should get a replacement?
Don't sweat it just replace it no need to glue the old part. Btw, Welcome to the Board!

Good luck & enjoy the ride,

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: