post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The people that work my dealer's parts department appreciate me having a part number when I come in. If the part has been superseded, they give me the upgraded part. In any case, it saves them time.

Some people buy an EPC and say it works fine. Mine did when it was new, but the CD recently went bad. If MB USA sold an EPC DVD as they do the WIS, I'd buy it.
Don't you get the upgraded part from EPC directly? Or are you referring to an "old" copy of EPC. Anyway I certainly agree that our part guys too love part numbers instead of the customer trying to explain what they are after. I do ask them to check that it is the correct part when I give the number but I would claim part guys failed far more often the myself.

Not only EPC part numbers are useful but also accessories, I often pick up the accessory number (and price quote) here:
Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Personenwagen - Zubehör

I already get a part numbers booklet along with a number of other stuff, why not with cars. Of course an electronic catalog is more handy.

It isn't even a competitor info issue as any BMW or Toyota guy can anyway get hold of EPC access.

WIS is probably a bit different which is why the legal copy is so expensive too. MB wants to support their dealers' business, those would lose at least some business if everybody and every independent workshop would have up-to-date WIS data.

I guess the WIS DVD you refer to is a genuine part of the dealer WIS but only for one specific model? We don't have that within Europe, from MB, not even for a few years old models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I guess the WIS DVD you refer to is a genuine part of the dealer WIS but only for one specific model? We don't have that within Europe, from MB, not even for a few years old models.
Exactly. My "Star Classic Service Manual" is a WIS for the W208 model ONLY and I bought it directly from MB USA. I found out about it from the Mercedes-Benz Club of America (shameless plug for a GOOD organization).
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I bought a 2002 version of EPC and it is useful. It covers my cars and from now on I can just look up the part number and order from online vendors. It is very useful to find the uncommon items such as nuts and bolts, etc.

I also bought a 2005 version of WIS and got it installed. The interface is terrible so I will have to learn how to use it. Are there any sites that show tutorials? I just installed last night so I have not played with it much.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is what the dealers use and you can buy your own 1 year subsciption for $24.

http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/welcome.jsp

Jamie

But then again, I could be wrong.........

Where is everyone? Find out here (and let everyone know where you are, too)...

http://www.frappr.com/w123club
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know of any sites. The good news is, the more you use it, the easier it becomes (at least for me). Some things are still hard to find. For example; the C43 and the CLK430 use the same heads - same part numbers. Except the ports on the C43 have been massaged. Anyone looking at C43 heads can see the difference. I would think there HAS to be something that talks about the port work. If so, I haven't been able to find it. Alternatively, I would think the heads would have to come from a special bin (the AMG bin perhaps?). I don't see that mentioned either. That might be why they have an area for the VIN, but it's not real obvious. If you come across a tutorial site please post it.

In some ways, the vehicle specific WIS that MB USA sells is a lot easier. The W208 version was $60 when I bought it. I've actually used the vehicle specific WIS to find stuff in the full product WIS (the section numbers are the same).
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 1999 C-280. & 2000 SL500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriderdog37
Is there any site that has an exploded parts catalogue? I know of realoem.com that works with BMW, but nothing for my Mercedes.
You can subscribe to the mercedes site STAR TekInfo - EPC Online
for one year and it gives you the complete EPC catalog including the 107.048 less than $50.00 if I remember correctly.

jaybro
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1985 300CD, '85 500SEC, '97 SL320, '08 CLK350 Cabriolet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 PM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybro
for one year and it gives you the complete EPC catalog including the 107.048 less than $50.00 if I remember correctly.
You can subscribe to the genuine EPC for one month for US$3.00. How cheap is that?!

Forget that ebay rubbish on disc.

Last edited by DrX; 04-26-2007 at 07:48 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybro
I guess you did not notice the post from JamieK, one above the one you replied, he already did provide a more accurate price info. More here:
EPC Online Coverage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in