My 2004 C240 "ESP MALFUNCTION LIGHT" is on. Help? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My 2004 C240 "ESP MALFUNCTION LIGHT" is on. Help?

Can anyone help me with this problem? I've heard that not even mercedes can help with this and if they do, it can be very pricy as they dig around in a daze until they finally find it and even then sometimes they don't have the best of luck. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get info on this problem or how I can fix it? Is it a sensor? Or is it...? Anyone can help me by sending me an email at asakal@tristarfundinggroup.com.

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am in disbelief that Mercedes-Benz cannot diagnose and correct a major subsystem that is included on every model sold in the US. You haven't filled out a profile, so I have no idea where you're posting from. This business of "digging around in a daze" and depending on "luck" may be true if you're posting from Cuba, where I understand there to be no dealerships. However, if you are in a country where there are actual Mercedes-Benz dealerships, that dealership should be able to correct your problem.

A dealer in the United States corrected an ESP problem with my car in under an hour while I waited. In this case, they replaced the brake light switch. If you wish to explore your options regarding a DIY fix, I would recommend you purchase a WIS.

Lastly, welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz dealers all have what is called the Star Diagnostics system. It is a hand-held computer module that they plug into a portal on our cars. It reads the error codes and to a large degree, diagnoses our problems.

While it may be true that there are some problems that will even mystify a properly trained M-B tech, those are few and far between. Whoever gave you that erroneous information should keep their mouth shut.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pane66
Can anyone help me with this problem? I've heard that not even mercedes can help with this and if they do, it can be very pricy as they dig around in a daze until they finally find it and even then sometimes they don't have the best of luck. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get info on this problem or how I can fix it? Is it a sensor? Or is it...? Anyone can help me by sending me an email at asakal@tristarfundinggroup.com.

Anthony
well first things first, do you even know what codes ESP is giving? without that info, noone can diagnosis it. Now whoever told you that mercedes cant help is full of shit. a common ESP issue right now is the steering angle sensor which I have done hundreds of. it could also be a fault in the control unit, BAS system. you need to let us know what the code is otherwise we cant help. ESP issues arent that hard to diagnosis. now there are times when I have been in a daze with certain issues, but any MB tech will tell you these cars are highly electronic and a simple complaint can cause major headaches. I myself have ran into a 01 c class awhile back with a ESP light on that ended up being a faulty hub assembly. and all I had was can communication issues.

Last edited by Streetglower; 04-17-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in