BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where can I buy wire?

Hi guys!

I'm getting my power window motors, switches and regulators that I ordered from Autohaus AZ on Monday.

The only thing left is to get proper wire for the installation, which I'm going to do myself within the foreseeable future. Now, I've done the wiring for the crappy 'Made in China'-kit I currently have installed, but now I want to do it properly. I managed to purchase exactly the same type of PVC sleeving used in my car and I'll get the switch connectors from a junk yard. I also have a complete wiring diagram of my car, showing the correct colour and wire diameter for each connection. This is how I want to do the installation: correct wire colour and diameter.

Unfortunately local retailers only have about five or six different colours (although they do have all the required diameters); I need 23 different colours (a combination of single and multi-coloured wires). I doubt if I'm going to get helped in South Africa.

I did manage to find this UK site, with all the necessary wire: Vehicle Wiring Products. All the wire that I need will amount to about $70. It's a lot, but I'll pay it if it's the only place I can get it.

Do any of you know an online US retailer that sells automotive wire? I'm almost certain I'll be able to get it cheaper in the US.

2000 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The key point in selecting a wire type is finding fine strand wire to go in the hinge area. Large strand (not the over all gauge) will break easily as the hinge move. Teflon jacket wires will not take a set easily also. The floppy disk drive read/write head wires can reach million cycles of head seek because very fine strand wires was used.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is a prety tough question, the wire part is easy, the connectors are quirky. The wires are usually available in your auto to parts store, wires come in various sizes depenend how much current they will carry, the colors are unimportant except for circuit tracing in harness. I would think unless you fried a harness there would be no isues. MB usually uses red for power, brown for ground, everything else is up for grabs
BTW in aircraft they are all white except their catagory is printed on the wire
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: