LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question XM or Sirrus radio

I recently purchased a 2004 E-320 wagon. It is sat radio "ready" but not installed, and the dealer quotes on installation are just north of $1000. I have an XM Roady I can easily hook-up but have the usual mess of wires, antenna, etc. Are there aftermarket installers cheaper than the dealer installation that anyone can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Go w/ whichever one Imus goes to...

Don't believe everything you think
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Go w/ whichever one Imus goes to...
That should be an easy choice, unless there is a court issue they will be combined within the year.

I have XM on 4 cars and Sirrus on 1. If you like music there is no difference, both have very good choices.

If you like talk radio or sports radio, I can't be of help since I don't listen to either enough to know who has the best lineup. I know Stern is on Sirrus but he is like listening to an over the hill 12 year old.

I know NASCAR went to Sirrus but if their coverage is no better than XMs, it will still be painful to listen to.

I am old school, I listen to Radio for MUSIC first, then News. Both cover those well.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
That should be an easy choice, unless there is a court issue they will be combined within the year.

I have XM on 4 cars and Sirrus on 1. If you like music there is no difference, both have very good choices.

If you like talk radio or sports radio, I can't be of help since I don't listen to either enough to know who has the best lineup. I know Stern is on Sirrus but he is like listening to an over the hill 12 year old.

I know NASCAR went to Sirrus but if their coverage is no better than XMs, it will still be painful to listen to.

I am old school, I listen to Radio for MUSIC first, then News. Both cover those well.
At first I thouth the XM/Sirius merger was a sure thing too, but the opposition is becoming more and more vocal. The NAB is pulling out all the stops to prevent the XM/Sirius Merger. So now I'm not so sure... It will be interesting to see what happens, but I think Imus and Stern could end up in competition on two seperate Sat Radio stations. Imus is the "thinking-mans Howard Stern," IMO.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1985 300CD, '85 500SEC, '97 SL320, '08 CLK350 Cabriolet
I don't know about MB radios but my Dodge P/U came with a satellite ready radio. Same thing, when I checked with the dealer it was $500 or $600 just for the adapter (I was going to install it myself) Check e-bay, maybe you can find one. I already had a Sirius radio, so I’m just using it. If it stops raining today my project is installing a new radio in my new ’85 300CD. (I had bought the radio for my 300D but never installed it, but it has a plug in for my Sirius or I-Pod or whatever uses a stereo mini plug.)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
At first I thouth the XM/Sirius merger was a sure thing too, but the opposition is becoming more and more vocal. The NAB is pulling out all the stops to prevent the XM/Sirius Merger. So now I'm not so sure... It will be interesting to see what happens, but I think Imus and Stern could end up in competition on two seperate Sat Radio stations. Imus is the "thinking-mans Howard Stern," IMO.
NAB is not happy. I will be at the NAB Convention Thursday and Friday in LV and expect it to be one of the primary subjects [other than HDTV's looming deadline].

Imus is usually at the show so it will be interesting to see if he shows up this year. Last year it was all Stern.

I go for the systems side but the politics are the most fun.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
NAB is not happy. I will be at the NAB Convention Thursday and Friday in LV and expect it to be one of the primary subjects [other than HDTV's looming deadline].

Imus is usually at the show so it will be interesting to see if he shows up this year. Last year it was all Stern.

I go for the systems side but the politics are the most fun.
Given the whole Imus-thing NAB should be a hoot whether the Iman shows up or not. Report back!

Did you see that big wreck in lap one of the Nextel Cup race a few minutes ago? Ouch!!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: s 500
Send a message via AIM to ixnineix
they are merging it doesntmatter,but sirius is way better
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

^^^^^
At first I thouth the XM/Sirius merger was a sure thing too, but the opposition is becoming more and more vocal. The NAB is pulling out all the stops to prevent the XM/Sirius Merger. So now I'm not so sure... Do you have inside information?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Wink NAB is over, radio is over, and sat is at best a maybe

I am glad that I put in the IPOD plug with my command.
Radio is over, deal with it.
Howard is over, deal with it,
My next MB will probably have connectivity, then Ipod will be over.

WOW, just yesterday am/fm was a factory option.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in