post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS
Actually, what will be happening is the new satellite system. A private company is going to use satellites in 2009 to connect to our cars. You can retrofit an older car and you can sign up a new car. Being on that satellite system, your car's computers will connect to their computers while being tracked by satellite. Think of OnStar but with two-way communication. If your Check Engine light comes on, they can diagnose through the satellites. If you need a reflash, the satellites will do it while your driving. Music/TV/etc will be on-demand as will GPS mapping. It's coming.

The downside? They know where you are, where you're going, and what you're doing when driving. Seems to me I like my older Benzes more and more.
Then maybe we could give Osama Bin Laden a brand new car in a sweepstakes drawing. We would finally know where he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschk
Even if this technology comes come to pass, how long would it take for the info to circulate the net on how to circumvent with the technology? A few days? Maybe less?
Yes, you are right. There are no on/off switch for the TeleAid system parse. But the choice to use it or not is up to each owner.

MB is pretty serious about TeleAid. There are three antennae in my R171, a main plus two backup antennae. In an emergency situation, it is designed to save lifes.

As described elsewhere, in the future, we may even get a break on premium if we let the insurance company monitor our driving.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This tax has been talked about in our state as well. Here is how it would work here:
When you renew your tag, the clerk will look at your odometer and log it, comparing it to the last time you were there. They would then charge you a tax based on the miles driven beyond what they determine to be 'average'. What is broke about this idea is that if the guy is, let's say, an on the road sales person or a person who travels to see a sick relative, they will be paying their state taxes for miles driven on other state's roads. Not a fair way to judge taxes since you are already paying gasoline tax that covers your usage of fuel.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
Not a fair way to judge taxes since you are already paying gasoline tax that covers your usage of fuel.
That is precisely what renders this concept completely ridiculous. They try that crap here, and I'll scream bloody murder -- and so will a lot of other folks.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought that the concept was to track road usage at particular times of day, so that taxes could be levied based on time of use, not miles. That way, Big Brother can add an incentive for people to NOT drive during rush hour and hopefully reduce congestion and avoid building more roads.

I agree that adding tracking systems to everyone's car is too invasive and will likely be foiled by the creative immoral. Totally getting off topic, 'Laws' like this that erode our basic liberties have a very corrosive affect on society, which is causing freedom-loving people to consider breaking these 'laws' in order to maintain freedom from an oppressive government. The problem is that once an individual makes the decision that he knows better than government which laws are just and which aren't, and begins breaking the unjust laws, he has begun a journey down a slippery slope...

Respectfully,
/s/
Max
Charleston SC
'87 300TD, 357k miles
'95 E300 Diesel, 370k miles
'95 E320 Cabriolet, 109k miles
'73 Balboa 20
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
That is precisely what renders this concept completely ridiculous. They try that crap here, and I'll scream bloody murder -- and so will a lot of other folks.
From what I understand about this 'tax' in our state, it's original purpose is to tax persons who own hybrid vehicles that get 50 - 75 mpg. They reason that they are losing out on gas tax revenue to persons who drive these cars since they think they put the same amount of wear and tear on the roads and highways.

I sometimes wonder if the creative ways to tax people will ever end and how long people will put up with this shit.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoin
ODOT (Oregon Department of Transportation) has been testing a new system that will track the actual miles driven in Oregon and then tax the owner when he/she uses the gas pump. It uses a global positioning satellite and a device in your car that transmitted the data. The yearlong test did show several glitches, so it is not yet ready for prime time. Other states have been watching this test.
The Oregon's 24 cents a gallon is the primary source of money to build and maintain roads, the rate has stayed the same since 1993, an increase has been voted down by the voters several times. The newer efficient cars are getting better MPG so the tax revenues (so ODOT is saying) cannot keep up with the increasing cost of asphalt, steel and other materials. Other factors are, Portland has a new light rail system and a very new street car system, plus more hybrid cars are sold in Portland than any other city. This new test system used 1.22 cents a mile figure, also the state says that no private information is recorded (prying into your whereabouts), however the 250 testers where told that they could get subpoenaed in a criminal investigation. Slow down, the GPS system is going to get you!

Last edited by bgoin; 04-11-2007 at 06:25 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifSLK
As described elsewhere, in the future, we may even get a break on premium if we let the insurance company monitor our driving.
I'd rather pass on the discount than allow my insurance company to monitor my driving and location. Not that I'm some danger to society or have anything to hide, but I value my personal liberties more than any discount they might provide.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschk
I'd rather pass on the discount than allow my insurance company to monitor my driving and location. Not that I'm some danger to society or have anything to hide, but I value my personal liberties more than any discount they might provide.
Yes, with more and more people in this world, personal liberty is getting harder and harder to come by. I wouldn't let my insurance company monitor my driving too.

There was a big uproar over RFID in California Legislature and yet I usually have 2 to 3 of those in my pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in