post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2003 E500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Problem after changing battery

I just changed my battery in my 2003 E500 and everything seemed fine until I started the car and got a message that said ESP unavailable. I pushed the ESP button but nothing happened. Is it possible I blew a fuse. I don't know what else to look for. Any ideas? Thanks

Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Service DVD for W211 is available from your dealer or by calling 1.800.for.merc

Here is a list of things required after simply removing a battery cable

Set time on instrument cluster
Normalize power windows
Activate steering angle sensor
Normalize panoramic glass roof or tilting/sliding roof

Item 3 fixes your ESP light

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
You didn't activate the steering angle sensor I guess. I had MB roadside assistance changing my battery to avoid hassle like that.
From what I know with ignition on, you need to turn the wheels from one stop to the other.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
You didn't activate the steering angle sensor I guess. I had MB roadside assistance changing my battery to avoid hassle like that.
From what I know with ignition on, you need to turn the wheels from one stop to the other.

I'm sorry, I have to say that sucks that you have to do all that just to replace the battery properly....sad.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
I'm sorry, I have to say that sucks that you have to do all that just to replace the battery properly....sad.
Rather than belittling the guy's car, how about a little help? Besides, if you remove the power from ANY car you’ll have to reset the clock. Lowering the windows, moving the seat, turning the steering wheel, and operating the sunroof aren’t what I’d call taxing chores. Those tasks are required for features that weren’t available in earlier models though. It's a small price to pay and he'll be done in under 5 minutes.

DMACCH – I like the E500. Beautiful lines and a great powerplant. Here are the steps required after power has been lost in a CLK, I believe the steps are the same in your E500:

• After reconnecting the battery you can set the clock using the multifunction steering wheel controls. If you're unsure how, post back and I'll paste the instructions from the owners manual.
  • You resynchronize the front seats and front seat head restraints by turning the electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approx. 2 seconds.
  • The express feature of the power windows can be resynchronized by turning the electronic key in steering lock to position 2 pressing the down side of power window switch until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure for each window.
  • To synchronize the sunroof, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold sunroof switch in the pop up position until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second.
  • To synchronize ESP, turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out.
Welcome to the forum.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Next time you might want to use one of those

I am having rechargeable 12V lantern with good size-battery that with its rechargeable cord will do the job just fine. Than with free roadside assistance why would I bother?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Rather than belittling the guy's car, how about a little help? Besides, if you remove the power from ANY car you’ll have to reset the clock. Lowering the windows, moving the seat, turning the steering wheel, and operating the sunroof aren’t what I’d call taxing chores. Those tasks are required for features that weren’t available in earlier models though. It's a small price to pay and he'll be done in under 5 minutes.

DMACCH – I like the E500. Beautiful lines and a great powerplant. Here are the steps required after power has been lost in a CLK, I believe the steps are the same in your E500:

• After reconnecting the battery you can set the clock using the multifunction steering wheel controls. If you're unsure how, post back and I'll paste the instructions from the owners manual.
  • You resynchronize the front seats and front seat head restraints by turning the electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approx. 2 seconds.
  • The express feature of the power windows can be resynchronized by turning the electronic key in steering lock to position 2 pressing the down side of power window switch until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure for each window.
  • To synchronize the sunroof, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold sunroof switch in the pop up position until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second.
  • To synchronize ESP, turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out.
Welcome to the forum.

I am not belittling his car nor trying to be offensive. I'm just being honest. I would be pissed off if I had to do all that just to change the battery.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
I am not belittling his car nor trying to be offensive. I'm just being honest. I would be pissed off if I had to do all that just to change the battery.
Why ? What part of this procedure sounds outside of normal for you ?

If you want to fell the king of the world and don't want to do anything - call 1-800-FOR-MERC and a guy will do it for you (free under warranty, cost of battery if you outside the warranty)

Kirill
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:03 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
Why ? What part of this procedure sounds outside of normal for you ?

If you want to fell the king of the world and don't want to do anything - call 1-800-FOR-MERC and a guy will do it for you (free under warranty, cost of battery if you outside the warranty)
I would understand resetting the clock.

But being a car chock full'o computers I would assume that it would have the equivalent of what's called a CMOS battery on a personal computer's motherboard, which preserves all necessary data and basic settings in the random access memory and for the BIOS.

I mean, I apologize if you feel insulted, but what more else do you want? I'm voicing my opinion as a side conversation and if you think I'm not being helpful, please point out the last time when I wasn't being helpful at all...which would be hard because there's no such situation.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Well chinny think what will happen, when important for you computer after 10 years of constant use and collecting your data will loose the CMOS battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in