post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I have always trusted them to have done what they said, but that is probably a bad idea.
No kidding!
I trusted my dealer for about 4 years with our 99 ML320 and haven't been opening the hood in that time. The first service A cost me about $50, the others were in the $200 range, so I didn't care about the cost at the time.
After 4 years I inspected my engine compartment only to discover, that the battery spit acid on the inner fender and whole try and inner fender were badly corroded. Mind I leave in the area the corrosion is unheard of.
Do you think in those 4 years the $150/hr (present charges) technician have never seen the problem? Old battery doesn't spit acid. It had to happen when new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: '00 S430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you want it done right....., these service clowns are really clowns, they fool us by dressing in coveralls. I just did my inpection of the flex disc when I changed the rear differential fluid, for something like this it is pointless to pay someone to do it if you can DIY.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans-c
I'd like to come up a bit for the dealerships here! My '85 W123 230E, with almost 200k miles has a full MB dealership history. My family has owned the car since day one.

My car is in pristine running condition, and in part I believe it's due the proper servicing it receives (even though it's an old technology car). From all my experience (I've owned the car for the past six years, 62k miles), whenever I take the car in for a scheduled service, I always receive it back running better than ever.

Whenever something has to be repaired (at this old age, some stuff are bound to be replaced), they look over every affected sub-component and sub-system thoroughly, and determine repair costs from there. I believe it's this thoroughness that you don't really find at the average Backyard Joe. Admittedly, repair costs are a bit more pricey than Joe's, but at least you get a one-year workmanship guarantee and two-year parts guarantee.

That's my point of view, and the way my 22-year old car is running, I'm not going to sell nor take the car to other service centres any time soon!

It is good to hear that the South African Dealerships are still good. I am South African. I spend a little time in those dealerships as a child when my Dad would take in his car for service. I can say there is a huge difference in attitude compared to here in the US.

There are 2 dealerships in the area. The first about 20 minutes from me, stinks. They have gotten better since they got a new service manager. But, prior to that-they just did not care. With the exception of the parts manager, that is, he seems to be a hold over from the old days.

When I took my w126 in for an oil change, I heard one of the workers making fun of it. How old etc. I walked up to him and he slinked away. I was mad though. Another time, I had my R170 in for some warrenty work. I ended up talking to the mechanic. He asked me to go back and look at the car. I did, but then he started to complain about other customers. There was an older MB sitting in the back lot. He told me it had been there for 2 years. The owner had dropped it of and they had made the problems worse. So the owner would not pick it up, pay for making a bigger problem. The mechanic said that no one there knew how to fix older MB's. So the car sat there for 2 years. The new service manager got things together though and the car was fixed from what I hear.

The other dealership an hour from me is the opposite. They remind me of the dealership in SA. Very pleasant. I met the owner at an evening event at the dealership. Very nice man. Leadship flows from the top down and so does attitude.

Now some of you may feel that all those checks are worth the price of the services, I do not. I wish I had saved those pamphlets that came in the mail. The difference between the A and B services in that pamphlets was literally just the windshield washer fluid.

Mike
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
No kidding!
I trusted my dealer for about 4 years with our 99 ML320 and haven't been opening the hood in that time. The first service A cost me about $50, the others were in the $200 range, so I didn't care about the cost at the time.
After 4 years I inspected my engine compartment only to discover, that the battery spit acid on the inner fender and whole try and inner fender were badly corroded. Mind I leave in the area the corrosion is unheard of.
Do you think in those 4 years the $150/hr (present charges) technician have never seen the problem? Old battery doesn't spit acid. It had to happen when new.
That is totally inexcuseable, and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you and your car. And Wow, they charge $150/hour? And I thought the $92 here was bad.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
Now some of you may feel that all those checks are worth the price of the services, I do not. I wish I had saved those pamphlets that came in the mail. The difference between the A and B services in that pamphlets was literally just the windshield washer fluid.
Sorry Mike, I didn't mean to argue with you. This is sort of like the transmission service thing that we recently discussed at great length on another thread. By this I mean that all dealerships in the US should advise, and do, exactly the same thing for about the same price. I think MBUSA is running a pretty sloppy ship when it comes to service and customer care.

I can't do the checks myself that make up the vast majority of these A/B services, nor do I have the Star Diagnostics system. For this reason, I am willing to pay for them, but I certainly don't like it.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in