MB worst car ever !!! - Page 13 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I like Japanese and German cars. I think they are both great for different reasons.

In this day and age, the internet can save you thousands upon thousands of unneeded repairs, and save you heartache down the road (alerting you to wiring harness, head gaskets, harmonic balancers etc.) To me, it's not like the old days where you simply paid up, and had to trust the stealership.

Before I bought my first MB years ago, I read about the particular model for some time. Same with my current MB, read about it for quite some time before I pulled the trigger. As soon as I got it, I addressed the head gasket and wiring harness issue. When the car began to stumble one day I knew it was the faulty coil plug ends (ten bucks each) because of the internet. When it began to have hot start problems, I knew it was the OVP from my past reading, and replaced it.

The times I brought it in to my trusty Indy tech (at the time in Utah), I was armed with information, so I understood what he was talking about and could comprehend the layout of the car. I also acknowledged that I was purchasing a car that was (at the time) 8 yrs old and out of warranty. I went to the trouble to educate myself as much as possible to be sure I would not hemorrhage money as a part of ownership.

I most recently had trouble with my transmission. From reading MB forums in the past I knew it was probably a vacuum leak, and in need of a bowden cable adjustment. While I was not able to perform the needed repairs myself (I try to do as much as I can, for fun and to save money) I felt comfortable taking it to a repair shop. The first shop told me "new transmission" and 4 thousand dollars, which I knew was bogus, so I went to the next shop, looking for honesty. Next shop told me what I suspected, replaced vacuum lines, adjusted the cable, and away I drove.

Even with my wife's Camry there are issues here and there. I get online and spend time reading about what problems are specific to that model and year.

I may very well buy another Japanese or German car. But even before I did that, I'd scour through the forums and look for known problems, years to avoid and so on. Honda and Toyota have both had problems with their transmissions over the last few years for example. I'd make sure I knew as much as possible, before I purchased just about anything, not just autos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '96 500SEC + 2011 C350CDI
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gumsie
Are you comparing apples with pears here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-o-mania
Hey,my bad luck -yes.Bad luck for almost 80% of the users here-yes.What else?Don't you see it's not just me?Do you really need to spend almost same money you paid for the brand new car to keep it running for a while?Isn't it wrong?
$6000 95' honda civic with the same miles will last 250-300k WITH NO MAJOR ISSUES.I believed the Benz can do at least the same.I was wrong.Or maybe it will-but with the next $6000 invested in a repairs.
You gotta make a like with like comparison here. We've had 4 Benzes in our family and had very little trouble with any of them.
The first, a 1984 230E, four things. First was a blocked injector, second a bit of rust, third a flattened battery-(entirely our fault), and the last cold start problems.
The second a 1989 420SEC, four things. First more rust, second the ignition control module went and third the transmission became rough, and lastly again cold start problems.
The third, a 1996 CL500, again-four things. The mini AC sensor fan, second the auxiliary fan, third yet more rust, fourth valve body went.
The fourth, a 1998 E430, two things so far. The exterior bulb failure indicator, the second is rust-(again). It seems there may be two more problems still to come with that one going by how the others went.
I don't think that's bad going at all.

To compare a car like that that has so many more things built into it with a Honda Civic which I assume is a somewhat basic cars doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Find something of equal complexity to add a little more weight to your argument.
Personally I think Jap cars are absolutely horrid, (Nissan Skyline excepted), I would rather have a car that was three times as unreliable as one as long as it was three times as nice to drive.

Last edited by gumsie; 07-24-2007 at 02:32 PM.
post #123 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumsie
You gotta make a like with like comparison here. We've had 4 Benzes in our family and had very little trouble with any of them.
The first, a 1984 230E, four things. First was a blocked injector, second a bit of rust, third a flattened battery-(entirely our fault), and the last cold start problems.
The second a 1989 420SEC, four things. First more rust, second the ignition control module went and third the transmission became rough, and lastly again cold start problems.
The third, a 1996 CL500, again-four things. The mini AC sensor fan, second the auxiliary fan, third yet more rust, fourth valve body went.
The fourth, a 1998 E430, two things so far. The exterior bulb failure indicator, the second is rust-(again). It seems there may be two more problems still to come with that one going by how the others went.
I don't think that's bad going at all.

To compare a car like that that has so many more things built into it with a Honda Civic which I assume is a somewhat basic cars doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Find something of equal complexity to add a little more weight to your argument.
Personally I think Jap cars are absolutely horrid, (Nissan Skyline excepted), I would rather have a car that was three times as unreliable as one as long as it was three times as nice to drive.
I'd say alot of that rust can be put down to how you guys salt your roads up there, my Dad imported a Daimler from the UK once.....mmmm yummy rust.
post #124 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 1999 A4 1.8T, 1980 244 GL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruudje
Yeah.. rust. Something I do not miss. Lesson to learn: If you want to save money on buying an older Benz, NEVER take it to the dealer for repairs. Unless it has been bought new and also been in service with same people for years and years (My wife bought her Audi brand new and she still has the same guys looking after it for 8 years now (they actually give us great deals on almost every service)). Benz-O-Mania did not do his home work properly. Indeed, he would have been better off with a mid 90s Accord. Easy to fix and everybody has parts.
post #125 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudje
Indeed, he would have been better off with a mid 90s Accord. Easy to fix and everybody has parts.
Then his only problem would have been to keep it from getting stolen since Honda Accords have been the #1 most stolen car in the USA since it came out. something to do with easy access thru the windows and the steering column cover. but don't take my word for it
post #126 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I find this thread.... irrisponsible, you shouldnt be calling yourself a Mercedes owner because a true mercedes owner would not only fix the problem but to FIND PROBLEMS and make them correct, i tell you if my 1990 420 SEL which i spent $8,000 on and has MANY more problems goes out, i will be happy to spend $8,000 dollars more, its not just the fact you own a mercedes but how you take care of it, reflects on the person driving it, you dont get the same perception from people driving , toyota's, lexus, or even bmw's, because they know that a Mercedes even though they may have problems, they are the world leader in automobiles, you cant get any other car in the world , and say they started it all, besides a Mercedes. if my ever went out again and i didnt have the money id put it in the front of my house, clean it everyday, and say, "NEXT GOAL to get this baby better than if it were new" instead of . Mercedes, You are engineered like no other car in the world.... With love.
post #127 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-o-mania
Looks like you are) No offence)Everyone is saying to have some proof of the maintenance .Finally I have one and it's wrong again.Muhehehe)
No I did not have pre-purchase inspection,because at that time I didn't need any.The car was running good with no lights on dashboard.Once again,you cannot tell when your MAF will go wrong etc.I am not blaming the seller of the car,I am blaming Mercedes for building crappy cars with expensive parts and service.That's it.
This is my last post here.I knew that I will be on the scaffold (place of execution )here for posting my feelings.But i don't regret.I shared just my experience and opinion.Live with that or die) Have a nice ride with MB guys.I will be racing with you in a couple of years with my new Civic maybe.But with lot of more cash saved because no MB -in my pocket)Bye)
"Scaffold" is what you use to paint your house. "Gallows" are where you go to be executed. Have fun in your Civic......
post #128 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
I have a similar opinion of the W202, and it almost affected my feelings towards MB overall. But when I reflect back on my W201 and cruise the Beltway in my W124 I know better. One bad apple does not ruin the whole bushel!

Scott in MD/DC
85 TDT the "Blue Whale"
past: W124 wagon, W126, W202, W201, lotsa VDubs
post #129 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 79 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4, Working on 81 Camaro coupe, looking for a diesel Mercedes
Send a message via AIM to BigBadjohn
Have fun having gay sex, asshat
post #130 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
Honda Civics are fart cans with no power and no comfort....my friend had one and almost got run over by a 18-wheeler because those cunt buggy Hondas lack exceleration and agility on the highway.

the only Honda worth buying is a Honda lawnmower...they don't need to be in the car business. period
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in