Do front or rear tires wear out faster on a rear-wheel drive car? TNX - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD , 1972 280SE 4.5L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your car steers by turning the front tires, they will wear out first, regardless of front or rear drive; assuming you're not laying rear-wheel patches.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1995 S500
Fronts will wear out first because they turn the vehicle causing a lot of rubbing. That's with normal driving.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It is true that turning makes front tyres wear, even at parking lot speeds (turning with power steering when the car is stationary introduces significant wear, relative to the distance driven, if that can be measured for a stationary car). At higher speeds it depends a bit if the car has under steer or over steer but in any case fronts would be more affected. In any case, also rear wheels are needed to make the car turn! At a constant turning radius, the rear wheels actually "bend" more. But normal driving at turns usually makes fronts wear more.

Fronts wear more at braking too because most of the brake force is applied to the fronts (modern MBs can increase the rear brake force when stability allows).

Rear tyres wear from engine braking but the real thing is to make the car move. As long as we talk about RWD cars, this makes the rear tyres wear.

At straight roads and constant speed the wear would be on the rears but here the main factor is actually wheel alignment. Toe-in makes tyres wear but MB has quite strong toe-in at the rear too, unless changed by re-alignment. This is to make the car as stable as possible at full deceleration from 250 km/h to which the car is built (I'm only talking about diesels, AMG models may have been built for higher speeds).

Clearly from the drivers comments already one can see that both are possible, rear or front wear mostly, and even wear in-between. It still is a surprise to me to see this many cases of more front wear. Most of my cars have been RWD and I've never seen a RWD car wear more fronts. My assumption would be that this would come from a lot of city driving. I'd be interested on comments from those who have strong front wear. Do you have the wheel alignment at factory figures? Myself I'm doing both, most kilometres from outside cities, don't know time wise. I'm not burning tires more than occasionally leaving traffic lights "rapidly".
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C230 Coupe (Me) 2003 SLK 320 (Wife) 1993 Toyota (Commuter)
I think a large part of the front wear is going to be from drivers in areas where higher speed cornering is available for those who are making their daily commute more "entertaining."

In my slightly younger days -- until I got tired of paying for it (or was that just got married?? ) -- the left edge of my fronts on my commuter car wore well before the others. Can anyone say nicely banked, tight right-hand exits from a freeway 2 - 4 times a day?

Just my guess, but I know I was guilty of inducing much more wear on the fronts than was, uhm, typical.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
I just experienced that brand of tires has lot to do with it as well. I usually drive on Michelins, but had one Good Year, that come with the car. Had to replace the wheel yesterday even with 4 mm (3/16") of thread in the center. The side in one spot shows fabric exposed. Rear tire with 35 psi on 28 recommended for no-load
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: