2005 E320 CDI - Mercedes dropped the ball - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One whopping post and this is what you chose to comment on?

The Nav system was purposely designed to not be a touch screen. The MB engineers felt the side buttons would outlast the touchscreen and be more practical and boy are they right. I use a Garmin in our ambulance. If you are too close to another letter it always goes with the wrong letter. Some of the choices on the extreme edge do not respond anymore unless you hit them 7 times. Fingerprints are particularly annoying when the previous user has grease on fingertips.

As for the CDI, good job reading the manual. I have not had an issue with the car. performs as advertised, gets 38 mpg and runs 700 miles between tank fulls. Good luck getting that in your Jap trap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2007
(Thread Starter)
Another complaint I have? A small one, but the clock. Why put an analog clock in the instrument panel? For "refinement?" I guess no one else needs to see what time it is. Also, it takes a second or two longer to get the time from an analog clock, and I don't find it desirable to take your eyes off the road for longer than you have to. But I do like the directions in the instrument panel. Sure it is a minor quibble, but I just think the clock is an example of less-functional design.

I don't believe that the engineers intentionally left out a touchscreen because they thought it was better. Just like some dope here said they intentionally made it so you couldn't enter an exact address for security reasons. What a crock.

True, Lexus doesn't have a diesel, which is a shame.

I don't see why you would be trashing Toyota. There is a reason why Toyota will soon be the #1 car maker. They make great cars. Lexus' seem to have beat all in the luxury market as well.

I pick on Chrysler because they produce crappy cars and are a poor company. Why do you think Daimler wants to get rid of it?

Sorry to come out just complaining. But Mercedes seems to have slipped big time in the past few years. Gone are the days of the "million-mile Mercedes." Reliability is poor now.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: '04 SL 500, '03 BMW M5, '03 BMW 325i,
Infinity uses (and always has used) analog clocks in their cars. It's actually one of their trademarks. I don't find reading an analog takes more time to process than a digital readout. Never has been an issue for me. Japanese and German cars have their attributes and I love certain aspects of both. Why focus on all the negative about MB. You haven't said one thing positive. Why did you buy the E 320 in the first place?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Chrysler also uses an analog clock in many of their vehicles. Chrysler was doing quite well before the merger thank you, or it appeared to be. Whatever happened to the "of equals" part anyway?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmbenz
Another complaint I have? A small one, but the clock. Why put an analog clock in the instrument panel? For "refinement?" I guess no one else needs to see what time it is. Also, it takes a second or two longer to get the time from an analog clock, and I don't find it desirable to take your eyes off the road for longer than you have to.
I disagree with that argument about digital displays. Why else would aircraft use so many analog instruments? It's a known fact that the brain can process a visual analogue display far easier than a digital readout. If that were not true we would all have digital speedos in our cars.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole
Why else would aircraft use so many analog instruments?
What analog instruments? Where?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cr9.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	123028  

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike
What analog instruments? Where?
Looks like digital instruments everywhere. But most of the display area on those digital displays seems to show information in analog format.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: '04 SL 500, '03 BMW M5, '03 BMW 325i,
One gauge I would definitely want analog is my tach. When I'm agressively driving, I'm sure I can process the fact that I'm approaching redline faster with an analog than a digital. I suppose it's the need not to have to convert a number to a scale. This may be one of the reasons race cars use analog rather than digital for vital readings.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach
This may be one of the reasons race cars use analog rather than digital for vital readings.
They do?
Attached Images

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2006 M3 Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmbenz
Mercedes sure messed up with this car. Well, they seem to be messing up entirely since their unholy union with Chrysler (why would they get into business with the crappiest US car company???).

First, the navigation system... Utterly useless. I can't believe this car went to market considering the state of this device. Are Mercedes Benz engineers just completely incompetent? I can't possibly imagine them testing this device out and concluding "Yeah, this is fitting for a $55,000 luxury car." It is baffling, really. The complaints... You can't enter an exact address. Completely stupid. If you want to find the nearest Von's or something, nope... The stupid things returns it alphabetically according to street name... Why on Earth would they do this? Lastly, no touch screen... I mean, seriously, NO TOUCH SCREEN??? A $600 Garmin has a touch screen. Somehow that is too much for a Mercedes? Again, are they just incompetent or just completely clueless?

And unfortunately, biodiesel breaks this car. If I have biodiesel in it, you can drive it, but the moment you want some power, the car's engine shuts off. How wonderful.

Goodbye Mercedes, hello Lexus...
You're clearly a touch screen-digital clock-Lexus kind of person.
Go to the Lexus boards and keep on trashing the E320 CDI over there.

The E320 CDI is a great car, but that's just my opionion, and a similar opinion to many CDI owners who post on this, and other, boards.

Your touch screen fetish is duly noted.
I suspect that Navs in general are migrating towards a single knob by the driver's right hand, so that the distracting lean forward and reach method is diminised.

2006 M3 Coupe, 6MT, Carbon Black Metallic/Cinnamon/Titan, no sunroof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in